Mass Hysteria in the U.S. | INFJ Forum

Mass Hysteria in the U.S.

The only hysteria here is what this nutjob author is trying to instigate, but I'd expect nothing less from a tabloid trash site

I don’t know about hysteria because it’s hard to judge that from the UK, but I wouldn’t trust a partisan tabloid to give me an unbiased view.

My instincts are that a damaging over-polarisation of a nation’s politics can only come to an end when the supporters of each side listen to what lies behind each other’s position - and start to accept the need to move some way in the other’s direction. Yelling insults at each other over the battlements just sounds from a distance like something out of a Monty Python film.

There is a huge risk that the real enemies of Western democracy think they can start to take over the rest of the world without much resistance if we indulge in that sort of politics. They may well be using the Internet to aggravate these polarisations in our societies because they know it will sap our resolve to resist their bullying. They are where the true polarisation in the world lies - in the difference between freedom and genuine tyranny.

Last edited:
My instincts are that a damaging over-polarisation of a nation’s politics can only come to an end when the supporters of each side listen to what lies behind each other’s position

Exactly. And this article largely serves as a tool of further polarization/division.

There are obvious corporate motives in this article. Laughably obvious.

"When the average person views a corporate journalist the same way they view a tobacco executive"

My goodness, that’s just brilliant. Thank you, @Reason

Cheers,
Ian

I think this article correctly sums things up

Given that it is an opinion piece, I guess I can assume you share the opinions stated.

From the end of the article:
The nation needs a healthy, contentious rivalry between our two major parties.

I agree, but this kind of opinion piece works against that ever coming to pass.

The corporate-driven shit-stirring in this opinion piece is so transparent as to be laughable. It’s almost all polite invectives and so little content. I don’t necessarily disagree with the basis of anything said, but it’s said with such hyperbole and liberal use of tribal signalling that it just becomes masturbatory.

Then again, it would be foolish to expect otherwise from the NYPost. :rolleyes:

Since he’s ragging on the woke left, let’s do one for the non-woke right...

Conservatives decry “cancel culture,” but love to do just that by getting books pulled from libraries, and fighting against non-existent curricula such that a foundational aspect of The United States of America would be conveniently erased and “forgotten about.” What’s up with that?

Actually, the hysteria will end one day... :p

ODw90WT.jpg

Cheers,
Ian

The New York Post is the Fox News of newspapers.
Reading the NY Post opinion pieces is like watching Carlson Tucker speak.

Take one conservative I was speaking with last night, he agreed with me that Putin was out of line with his attack on the Ukraine.
He was just as upset as I was at the Ukraine situation, except then I remembered, this is the same person that was furious that Christopher Columbus Day was being changed to Indigenous People’s Day, even after explaining to him the anti-CC sentiment has always existed in America.
But to him the two invasions are different…can I really expect an honest discussion with someone like that?
How do you live with that mentality and think you are spreading fairness, love, and unity?

Conservatives decry “cancel culture,” but love to do just that by getting books pulled from libraries, and fighting against non-existent curricula such that a foundational aspect of The United States of America would be conveniently erased and “forgotten about.” What’s up with that?
Didn’t they try and cancel a person by the name of Barack Obama by spreading the lie that he was born in Kenya, while he was running for President.
They did that in an effort to make him appear less “American” to voters.
Funny how cancel culture crybabies forget things like that.
Same people upset that BLM is protesting on the streets, while celebrating people breaking into the United States Capitol Building because some moron made them
believe the election had been stolen.
Does any of that make sense?

“The Post has been criticized since the beginning of Murdoch's ownership for sensationalism, blatant advocacy, and conservatism bias. In 1980, the Columbia Journalism Review stated that the "New York Post is no longer merely a journalistic problem. It is a social problem—a force for evil."

Obviously the NYPost is a bad source however even idiots every now and then hit the needle on the head. I’m definitely not saying I even use it as a primary news source. I specifically searched for an article that echoed how I feel about the current state of things and wouldn’t ya know it, this NY Post article fit the bill. So thanks for all the critique of the source but I’m already aware it’s 99.9% garbage.

To the other point about the far right, yeah they’re idiots just as well as the far left. The election wasn’t stolen, Obama was clearly an American… the problem that the left has is that they think their rage about FUCKIN ANYTHING supersedes reason. By operating like that they only discredit the living shit out of themselves and their movements. Take for instance the killing of George Floyd. Was it fucked up and are some cops bad people? Yes. Are all cops bad people? No! Yet those on the left think that defunding police is a bright idea. I mean honestly, do you REALLY think that’s a bright idea? It’s clearly not. Police reform is what needs to happen. That would be the LOGICAL APPROACH, something the left says doesn’t matter because their hysteria/immaturity says so. It’s ridiculous and quite frankly, out of control. This country is hyper polarized as shit. The left like the right, needs to learn to look in the fuckin mirror

It’s just telling us to be rabidly hysterical about different stuff.

The generalizations (“Those on the left/right think…”) however subtle will serve only to perpetuate the polarization. It’s more complicated than left/right.

It’s just telling us to be rabidly hysterical about different stuff.

The generalizations (“Those on the left/right think…”) however subtle will serve only to perpetuate the polarization. It’s more complicated than left/right.
Yes it is more complicated than left and right but I’m using it to speak non-specifically. I would elaborate a little more if I weren’t typing all of this on my phone