*hv
Feb 20, 2018
\\.\
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Source: Ars

While not as notorious as some of the other characters in this section Shkreli made headlines for jacking up the prices of orphan drugs which have kept people with rare medical conditions alive. (..and has surely sparked a few threads around here but posting this now as the news officially came out yesterday.)

The reason for his prison sentence is notable - he was charged for defrauding investors with little mention of the harm done to those reliant on said drugs.

Hopefully he isn’t sent to the supposed “country club” prisons that they say exist for rich pricks.
Let’s see....

Yep, looks like he got what was coming to him -

“His cockiness was gone. Minutes before he was sentenced to prison, the man known as the "Pharma Bro" and the "most-hated CEO in America" broke down in tears, to the point that the judge asked a clerk to hand him a box of tissues.

Barring an appellate miracle, Martin Shkreli, just a few days shy of his 35th birthday, will be in his 40s before he walks the street a free man again. Judge Kiyo Matsumoto sentenced him Friday to seven years for his stock fraud conspiracy convictions.

It wasn't quite as harsh a sentence as prosecutors wanted; they'd asked for 15 years, but it was much more severe than the 18 months Shkreli's lawyers asked for. It's certainly much more than the "time served" at "Club Fed" Shkreli had predicted he'd get, and where he thought he'd be playing tennis and Xbox.”

Source: Ars

While not as notorious as some of the other characters in this section Shkreli made headlines for jacking up the prices of orphan drugs which have kept people with rare medical conditions alive. (..and has surely sparked a few threads around here but posting this now as the news officially came out yesterday.)

The reason for his prison sentence is notable - he was charged for defrauding investors with little mention of the harm done to those reliant on said drugs.

If people need medicine, they need to be able to get them. We have an obligation to help people, that supersedes profits.

There's no reason both can't be achieved. But at least for now, that guy will be counting the bars, instead of his money.

Yes...the way our for-profit healthcare system works...well, “works" would be a generous word.
The way it is run is not in the best interest of anyone but those who stand to make more money.
This is why we pay more than anywhere in the entire world...yet, we are ranked like 37th in terms of satisfaction and outcomes.
We have infant mortality rates that rival third world countries.
We yank the mother back to work before the umbilical cord falls off.
If people were really pro-life, they wouldn’t try to destroy prenatal care in the form of Medicaid and PP, which is all some can get and afford in this overpriced nightmare POS system of crap.
We blame Obamacare, blame Trump, blame Congress, blame the poor, blame the mentally ill, blame the elderly, the disabled, etc. etc.
But we never seem to really hold anyone who truly has anything to do with the pricing accountable and force affordability back to where it belongs.
People like this asshole are a dime a dozen in the industry...they will watch you die, and sign your death certificate - if they make a bigger salary.
Healthcare should never be mixed with capitalism - the interest of the almighty dollar always wins over the will of the people.
We could easily pay for healthcare for all in this country.
For all those too scared that the government is going to takeover and blah blah blah - you can keep buying yours on the open “free” (lol) market, and let the rest of us have a public option with the ability to negotiate drug pricing, etc. and we’ll see who ends up paying more and for what.
The big social experiment that began with the HMOs may have started with good intentions and maybe even helped bring down prices in the beginning, but that is clearly not the case now.
And Congress seems more than happy to destroy all the patient protections that Obamacare/ACA gives you and me.
They are more than happy to destroy Medicaid, Medicare (which isn’t their money along with SS to even touch - there once were laws that said so.) and anything else that benefits those who are the most vulnerable and apparently also disposable.
I’ve seen it happen from the time I started in healthcare until I left...the way they treat patients compared to before disgusts me.
Get them in and out ASAP even if they should really still be there a few more days and charge them 1000% normal prices.
Prescribe them drugs that they can’t afford...or they end up taking half the dose they are supposed to because it’s too expensive otherwise.
Even basic shit like Epi pens are five grand or more...insanity.
It costs them nothing to make that shit and packaging.
People are dying because of the greed of other people...and it is constantly under assault from every angle possible.
Pension plans? What’s that?
So sorry that the Wall Street crash wiped out half your retirement savings that was supposedly safe and insured.
But how dare you ask for a raise...$15 an hour?!
How greedy!
And they play us against ourselves.
It’s high time we changed this BS farce of pseudo-healthcare that is now reaching ridiculous and stupid proportions.

Last edited:
Yes...the way our for-profit healthcare system works...well, “works" would be a generous word.
The way it is run is not in the best interest of anyone but those who stand to make more money.
This is why we pay more than anywhere in the entire world...yet, we are ranked like 37th in terms of satisfaction and outcomes.
If people were really pro-life, they wouldn’t try to destroy prenatal care in the form of Medicaid and PP, which is all some can get and afford in this overpriced nightmare POS system of crap.
We blame Obamacare, blame Trump, blame Congress, blame the poor, blame the mentally ill, blame the elderly, the disabled, etc. etc.
But we never seem to really hold anyone who truly has anything to do with the pricing accountable and force affordability back to where it belongs.
People like this asshole are a dime a dozen in the industry...they will watch you die, and sign your death certificate - if they make a bigger salary.
Healthcare should never be mixed with capitalism - the interest of the almighty dollar always wins over the will of the people.
For all those too scared that the government is going to takeover and blah blah blah - you can keep buying yours on the open “free” (lol) market, and let the rest of us have a public option with the ability to negotiate drug pricing, etc. and we’ll see who ends up paying more and for what.
The big social experiment that began with the HMOs may have started with good intentions and maybe even helped bring down prices in the beginning, but that is clearly not the case now.
And Congress seems more than happy to destroy all the patient protections that Obamacare/ACA gives you and me.
They are more than happy to destroy Medicaid, Medicare (which isn’t their money along with SS to even touch - there once were laws that said so.) and anything else that benefits those who are the most vulnerable and apparently also disposable.
I’ve seen it happen from the time I started in healthcare until I left...the way they treat patients compared to before disgusts me.
Get them in and out ASAP even if they should really still be there a few more days and charge them 1000% normal prices.
Prescribe them drugs that they can’t afford...or they end up taking half the dose they are supposed to because it’s too expensive otherwise.
People are dying because of the greed of other people...and it is constantly under assault from every angel possible.
So sorry that the Wall Street crash wiped out half your retirement savings that was supposedly safe and insured.
How greedy!
It’s high time we changed this BS farce of pseudo-healthcare that is now reaching ridiculous and stupid proportions.

They will have to change, or there will be a "Napster" type reaction. Intelligent people will react to help each other.

Edit. I can feel your drive to help people. It's palpable.

They will have to change, or there will be a "Napster" type reaction. Intelligent people will react to help each other.

Edit. I can feel your drive to help people. It's palpable.
I think and hope you are right!
I hope that Amazon getting into the pharmaceutical marketplace will help drive down some costs....I have serious doubts though.
Yes, there is just no justification for the prices we pay...not when everyone else around the globe pays so much less.
It’s obvious gouging just for pure profit - and it is literally killing people.
I think they should all be locked up in prison as I find it worse and more repugnant than war profiteering (which is illegal!).
Thanks James for your kind words.
Much love.

People are dying because of the greed of other people...and it is constantly under assault from every angle possible.
How greedy!

Great post.

Of the many serious problems and warped priorities in American society, healthcare is both the worst and least sensible. It is a constant headache and challenge for many people in this country to obtain the basics for maintaining health and treating disease and injury. And the many obstacles are caused by nothing other than base greed and exploitation at every level of the system. With the resources this country has, providing for all aspects of healthcare should be absurdly simple and cheap. No fucking excuses.

Evil getting it's comeuppance always warms the heart.

It's up there with nature and gorgeous sunsets in terms of things I enjoy witnessing.

It was nice to see at least one instance where someone like this doesn't get away with it even if it doesn't do much to discourage all the rest.

Hopefully he isn’t sent to the supposed “country club” prisons that they say exist for rich pricks.
Let’s see....

Yep, looks like he got what was coming to him -

“His cockiness was gone. Minutes before he was sentenced to prison, the man known as the "Pharma Bro" and the "most-hated CEO in America" broke down in tears, to the point that the judge asked a clerk to hand him a box of tissues.

Barring an appellate miracle, Martin Shkreli, just a few days shy of his 35th birthday, will be in his 40s before he walks the street a free man again. Judge Kiyo Matsumoto sentenced him Friday to seven years for his stock fraud conspiracy convictions.

It wasn't quite as harsh a sentence as prosecutors wanted; they'd asked for 15 years, but it was much more severe than the 18 months Shkreli's lawyers asked for. It's certainly much more than the "time served" at "Club Fed" Shkreli had predicted he'd get, and where he thought he'd be playing tennis and Xbox.”

He really lacked the refinement of an established criminal descended from a respectable crime family. He should have kept his head down and put some middlemen in-between himself and the crime.

FUCKING MILLENNIALS!