Quiet

i know nothing
Dec 16, 2011
aus
MBTI
infj
Enneagram
1w9
Hmmm...I wonder what Kim Stanley Robinson would say about this...

Mars Colonisation Mission Will Happen Live on Reality TV
Colin Lecher

One of the primary obstacles to human colonisation of Mars is the funding - creating a habitable environment and sending humans across the gulf of space is a costly process, well beyond the exploration budgets of most nations. But Nobel Prize-winning physicist Gerard Hooft and Big Brother co-creator Paul Romer have a brilliant solution that will put colonists on Mars by 2023.

The key: Fund the whole shebang by turning the mission into reality TV.

The Dutch company Mars One is managing the project, and in its explanatory video below, talking heads call the project (a little euphemistically maybe) a "media event," comparing it to the moon landing. They also tout the fact that its apolitical and taxpayer-independent, a private space endeavour, paid for by eyeballs on screens.

[video=youtube_share;n4tgkyUBkbY]http://youtu.be/n4tgkyUBkbY[/video]

One of the primary obstacles to human colonisation of Mars is the funding - creating a habitable environment and sending humans across the gulf of space is a costly process, well beyond the exploration budgets of most nations. But Nobel Prize-winning physicist Gerard Hooft and Big Brother co-creator Paul Romer have a brilliant solution that will put colonists on Mars by 2023.

The key: Fund the whole shebang by turning the mission into reality TV.

The Dutch company Mars One is managing the project, and in its explanatory video below, talking heads call the project (a little euphemistically maybe) a "media event," comparing it to the moon landing. They also tout the fact that its apolitical and taxpayer-independent, a private space endeavour, paid for by eyeballs on screens.

Romer told The Daily Mail:

"The entire world will be able to watch and help with decisions as the teams of settlers are selected, follow their extensive training and preparation for the mission and of course observe their settling on Mars once arrived. The emigrated astronauts will share their experiences with us as they build their new home, conduct experiments and explore Mars." The part of that quote that sticks out is that an audience will be able to "help with decisions."

Shifting the selection process from experts handpicking the best candidates to, perhaps, people texting in to vote for their favorite explorer is an . . . interesting idea.

Four explorers would hit the surface of the Red Planet by 2023 - where, the company promises, a habitation will already have been built - with more trickling in over the next 10 years until 20 people are there.

Construction rovers would be sent first to make sure housing is set up for the first wave, with more houses going up as needed.

Mars One has received letters of interest from aerospace companies potentially willing to donate hardware for the mission, and the presence of some real scientists rather than businessmen lends credence to the project, but colonisers on Mars in a little more than two decades is still a lofty goal, whether it's funded by NASA or by prime-time.

from Popular Science: http://www.popsci.com.au/technology/space/mars-colonisation-mission-will-happen-live-on-reality-tv

So many things wrong with this.

We can't even make earth habitable for most people but we're going to go to Mars and make it there?

I don't buy any of this "in case we have to evacuate" stuff, either. In case who has to evacuate earth? The closest we'd get in England is they'd maybe give you a free fun-size Mars bar as a reward for dying for your country.

Also, this means we can look forward to another decade of Reality TV? Great!

mars_attacks_movie_image_blu-ray_01-600x247.jpg

4110899725_1a726e77ff.jpg

Reactions: muir
It brings that Fight Club prediction to mind. The one about the corporations naming the new discoveries in space.

The Microsoft Galaxy. Planet Starbucks.

Reactions: Quiet
[MENTION=4726]Vict[/MENTION]

The First Rule of Fightclub bub, the First Rule

Sounds like the longest commercial break in the history of television given how long it takes to get to Mars.

I'd go, but only if I was really old and/or terminal.

I really couldn't picture living the rest of my life in a tiny can, with no trees or fresh fruit or vegetables or fresh air, etc. I mean, look at those things! If they would let people go in a nuclear-powered ark with a greenhouse and holodeck, then I might reconsider, but having been away from home for extended periods of time before, I know that not being able to ever return to the Earth would be absolute hell.

On the other hand, seeing Olympus Mons up close would be pretty f-ing incredible… climbing Olympus Mons would be amazing beyond belief… possibly worth living the rest of your life in a state of stark, raving insanity. Actually, it could very well take the rest of my life to do so, and I'm guessing they'd want to put me to work so f that.

Reactions: z523x4gr98j
lol, that might be worth watching since we aren't going to colonize mars any time soon, might as well do a role-play pretend colonization

will there be any martians?

I just saw Prometheus.

And also the latest Futurama episode. We shouldn't do this. It's not right, its against our nature!

Also its like moving to the middle of Arizona, except the air will kill you like in Final Recall. Just sand and rocks.

Also its like moving to the middle of Arizona, except the air will kill you like in Final Recall. Just sand and rocks.

Do you mean Total Recall?

threebewbs.jpg

Reactions: muir
i hope they don't do this
it's far too stupid an idea

I was talking with my friend about this and got really annoyed because, apparently, he's so anxious to get people on the moon before the earth is destroyed that he doesn't care who does it or how they do it.

The way I look at it, this is our chance for a fresh start, and I don't want a new society to be founded on the lowest common denominator of mindless entertainment.

I highly doubt the media corporation behind this would be doing it for the greater good of humanity and would gladly relinquish their control on the project after it gets the initial funding it needs.

I mean, the guy behind this apparently takes tips from 1984.

A lunar colony prior to a mars colony makes more sense to me too, if only as a temporary experiment. Also while I reaaaaallly enjoy the idea of us humans getting our butts off this rock and exploring new worlds, I can't realistically forsee this project happening, mainly because I doubt "reality tv" revenue alone will be able to fund it. Even from a mining and industrial point of view, the resources on mars are so far away as to make it uneconomical, at least in the short term. A lot of things can change between now and 2023 though, space flight technology may become a lot cheaper, in that case something like this could happen. Calling BS on the whole "it's not political" regarding team selection though, private or public, politics is definitely going to be a major factor.

I mean, the guy behind this apparently takes tips from 1984.

They're going to put rats in all the astronauts' helmets?

That would make sense given the Reality TV angle.

Looks like a great idea to me.

So we'll see the astronaut version of Kim K? The Situation? Paris Hilton?

America's Next Top Astronaut?

Bitch I'm Here Not To Make Friends?

...Will they even survive the landing?

Apparently they've got 78,000 people already signed up for consideration.
And a lot of them seem to be young.

I honestly have to wonder if they have actually read anything about what Mars is like, or even seen a single photo.

Don't get me wrong, if they actually make it that far in the first place it will be pretty special, but the prospect of being stranded on a barren rock with almost no atmosphere, solar radiation bombarding you constantly, meteorites constantly slamming into the ground all around you (or I guess right into your shelter), HUGE active volcanoes… it just doesn't seem like something that would appeal to anyone with a modicum of sense. Why would someone want to throw their lives away like that?

On the other hand, I guess there could also be some pretty frickin' awesome stuff to see that isn't like anything else on Earth… I would definitely go, but only when the technology is at the point where I could also get back.

I dont think they will be able to keep the public's attention long enough for a reality t.v.-trip to Mars.

not unless they use the airlock to whittle down the contestants.

You're not going to fund a mission to Mars with the petty money that could possibly be made with a TV show, ANY TV show, let alone a reality show that will definitely bomb.

I heard this crap before, and it's not even worth paying attention to. It's completely ridiculous.

A TV show could not possibly even scratch the surface of the cost of this sort of mission. And we're not about to send a bunch of retard average human being drama queens in space so they can fuck everything up just for a TV show that wont cover the costs.

Last edited: