"Making workers smile backfires"

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Making workers smile backfires

Published: Feb. 22, 2011 at 5:57 PM
EAST LANSING, Mich., Feb. 22 (UPI) -- Requiring employees to smile at customers may backfire because U.S. researchers say fake smiling worsens mood and affects productivity.​

Brent Scott, assistant professor of management at Michigan State University, and former MSU doctoral student Christopher Barnes, studied a group of city bus drivers during a two-week period. They examined the effects of fake smiling and deep acting, or cultivating positive emotions by recalling pleasant memories.​

"Employers may think that simply getting their employees to smile is good for the organization, but that's not necessarily the case," Scott says in a statement. "Smiling for the sake of smiling can lead to emotional exhaustion and withdrawal, and that's bad for the organization."​

The researchers found the findings were stronger for the female bus drivers.​

"Women were harmed more by surface acting, meaning their mood worsened even more than the men and they withdrew more from work," Scott says. "But they were helped more by deep acting, meaning their mood improved more and they withdrew less."​

Deep acting may help improve mood in the short-term, but Scott says it has been suggested that if people do this over a long period they start to feel inauthentic.​

The findings are published in the Academy of Management Journal.​

Fake smiling is one of the things I find irritating when I visit the US. I think it's really odd behaviour and why in heavens do the women feel the need to hug you as a greeting. <shivers>

Reactions: Blind Bandit
Fake smiling is one of the things I find irritating when I visit the US. I think it's really odd behaviour and why in heavens do the women feel the need to hug you as a greeting. <shivers>

awwwwwwwwwwww *hugs* *hugs* *hugs* *hugs* *hugs* *hugs* *hugs* *hugs* *hugs* *hugs*

[MENTION=3710]AlienSpectator[/MENTION]

...if people do this over a long period they start to feel inauthentic.

Really?! :suspicious:

:becky:
Ian

Reactions: Gaze
I love hugs! hugs are awesome greetings.

but I hate going into a fast food place and meeting the person's fake greeting. They're all mostly highschool students who couldn't give a damn if you enjoy your food or not,...in a crappy low payed job with few opportunities...

They can say whatever they want I find for me faking smiling makes me happier.

Its hard for me to believe because people always say 'fake it till you make it', maybe they just weren't faking long enough. Or they're really bad at pretending.

Sure hugs are awesome. <gritted teeth> I just think you should be more than acquainted with someone before you start hugging them. The first name basis thing bugs me too. Too informal, too early.

how is it that different from the bisou?
or are you opposed to that as well?

Sure hugs are awesome. <gritted teeth> I just think you should be more than acquainted with someone before you start hugging them. The first name basis thing bugs me too. Too informal, too early.

Is there a thread on hugs? I've always been particular about hugs and forms of physical affection. Ever since I can remember the only time I've willingly sought them out or allowed them was when I was extremely upset and crying. I'm not sure why that is. I've hugged people kind of because I've been forced to, or casual because others initiated it, but what I consider a true hug with both arms and the squeezing is just a rare thing for me and only when I'm upset. I wonder why. Hmph.

I've heard that even the British are hugging too. I don't know what this world is coming to when you can't depend on the British to keep things in check.

I've never enjoyed physical contact with acquaintances and like to be warned by anyone closer than an acquaintance.

I've heard that even the British are hugging too. I don't know what this world is coming to when you can't depend on the British to keep things in check.

I've never enjoyed physical contact with acquaintances and like to be warned by anyone closer than an acquaintance.

I wonder why that is, it's strange.

I've known this for years. That's why working in the customer service industry will make your soul shrivel up and crack into tiny pieces. It's so draining to pretend to be nice or dumb or happy or outgoing when you've got an actual life outside of your job. God forbid you think about something that makes you zone out for a minute...

I wonder why that is, it's strange.

I like to think that I'm just a sensitive soul.

Seriously, I just am sensitive to touch. Often what someone considers a gentle touch feels rough to me. Also, I've always paid attention to the texture of fabrics when buying clothing and bed linen. I can't wear anything itchy, stiff, crinkly or sleazy. Those textures drives me insane. I buy bed linen that requires ironing just to avoid percale.

I like to think that I'm just a sensitive soul.

Seriously, I just am sensitive to touch. Often what someone considers a gentle touch feels rough to me. Also, I've always paid attention to the texture of fabrics when buying clothing and bed linen. I can't wear anything itchy, stiff, crinkly or sleazy. Those textures drives me insane. I buy bed linen that requires ironing just to avoid percale.

Oh. For me I always feel like I am being used or objectified.