Low IQ predicts cardiovascular disease | INFJ Forum

Low IQ predicts cardiovascular disease

Quinlan

Right the First Time!
Jun 12, 2008
MBTI
ISFP
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/02/100209200754.htm

When the data were applied to a statistical model to quantify the associations of nine risk factors with cardiovascular mortality, results showed that the most important was cigarette smoking, followed by low IQ. Similar results were apparent when the health outcome was total mortality.
----------
This relative index of inequality for the top five risk factors was found to be 5.58 for cigarette smoking, 3.76 for IQ, 3.20 for low income, 2.61 for high systolic blood pressure, and 2.06 for low physical activity.

Why?

Note: Obesity wasn't in the top 5.

Last edited:
"the application of intelligence to healthy behaviour (such as smoking or exercise) and its correlates (obesity, blood pressure). A further possibility, they add, "is that IQ denotes 'a record' of environmental insults" (eg, illness, sub-optimal nutrition) accumulated throughout life."

That's why.

When the data were applied to a statistical model to quantify the associations of nine risk factors with cardiovascular mortality, results showed that the most important was cigarette smoking, followed by low IQ. Similar results were apparent when the health outcome was total mortality.
----------
This relative index of inequality for the top five risk factors was found to be 5.58 for cigarette smoking, 3.76 for IQ, 3.20 for low income, 2.61 for high systolic blood pressure, and 2.06 for low physical activity.

Why?

Note: Obesity wasn't in the top 5.

It could be argued that there is a correlation between low income, cigarette smoking, and low IQ. Perhaps there is a causation effect between the former two causing the latter, and they are the "true" causes behind the whole deal.

We need more information: particularly data that shows causation and not just correlation.

IQ is correlated with income, and higher income in turn with the ability to afford nutritious food. Cheap food is suspiciously lacking in nutrition per caloric value, at least in the US.

Convergent reasoning ability—what IQ attempts to signify—may also be relevant to the tendency and ability to select nutritious food. Somewhat of a wild guess though.

What is it with you and obesity?

Reactions: Reon
It's my broken record topic, like Satya and gayness.

Haha, I was thinking about the similarities when I posted :p

I saw your pic, I would pass you of as thin. Colour me confused

Haha, I was thinking about the similarities when I posted :p

I saw your pic, I would pass you of as thin. Colour me confused

Well I'm government fat (BMI in the overweight range) but probably not socially fat.

Doesn't mean I can't be interested in a group of people I think are treated pretty poorly on the whole.

Well I'm government fat (BMI in the overweight range) but probably not socially fat.

Doesn't mean I can't be interested in a group of people I think are treated pretty poorly on the whole.

BMI doesn't account for muscle mass and or skeletor structure. According to BMI I am overweight, but my bodyfat % is very low.

BMI doesn't account for muscle mass and or skeletor structure. According to BMI I am overweight, but my bodyfat % is very low.

No it doesn't, but I'm still statistically overweight, so I am partly contributing to the fat statistics and it's associated panic. Early last year my BMI crept up to about 29.9 (or something), if I had gained another pound or so I would have been officially "obese" (30). Would there have been any genuine difference between the way I looked, felt or behaved at a BMI of 30 compared to a a pound or two lighter at BMI of 29.9? No way! There is no real difference, yet I would have been contributing to the obesity epidemic. These statistics are framed in a way that somehow by being 88kgs I was in some way the same as someone at 188kgs. So any ill effects of their weight would have been equally attributed to someone my size as theirs, it makes no sense.

The ironic thing is when I was at my heaviest was when I was doing weights more regularly so I added muscle. I was contributing to fat statistics by casually building a bit of muscle.

Pretty much all obesity research and findings is based on BMI. So when I here scary headlines about "the obese" they are basically talking about someone who is likely to be only a bit bigger than myself.

Maybe that explains part of my bug with it, or maybe I've confused you more. :D

Owning a Muscle Car prevents Cardio-Vascular Disease.

This is because predominantly low IQ people own muscle cars, and low IQ prevents cvd.

It could be argued that there is a correlation between low income, cigarette smoking, and low IQ. Perhaps there is a causation effect between the former two causing the latter, and they are the "true" causes behind the whole deal.

We need more information: particularly data that shows causation and not just correlation.

Yeah, it's called "Third Variable Effect"
A Correlation does NOT mean causation.
The only way one can scientifically claim, not even prove but CLAIM, causation is with a controlled experiment.

I smoke, and I have a low income. That must mean I have a low IQ.

Looks like I'm a goner. I'm just going to eat Cheeze Wiz until I die of a heart attack. I've got nothing else to live for.