Love Drug(s) | INFJ Forum

Love Drug(s)

Dis article is from 2006.

You can find lots more recent studies that get more in-depth about the particular chemicals and brain activity involved if you hunt around.

Not sweating the details on this one. It's more the idea :D
Actually, this was more of a blog post.

Will the Mods/Admins take this down, please?

Well, then, why didn't you write anything?

i did write something! why do you always want more! i can never be enough for you!

i enjoyed being in love in the past. the feelings of perfect compatibility and connection with the other person, admiration of that person, and feelings of being immeasurably special and valuable were all very intense and surreal, like being inside a fairytale. it was just like the article describes it about knowing that it was just a feeling that came about as a result of certain ingredients and being able to enjoy it anyway like chocolate cake.

and i think it's true that you can get this intense quality of feeling from other places in life. like realising a very special personal goal. or ascending to some sort of self-actualised personality state. i would choose that over love if i had to choose because if i gave it up for love them my love would probably die. but love seems just as special and unique an experience as those sorts of things too. although i am comfortable with explaining away the "magic" there is just something about it that seems higher or beyond the simple idea of "pleasure", more worthwhile to hope for or experience.

then again, i'm happy enough that it happened before. i don't necessarily need it again.

Reactions: Gaze
Maybe it's just us people romanticizing love, yet again. It's understandable. Still, I've never been in love, so I don't really know the feeling. As an on-and-off drug addict, though, I can relate. At least on that level.

Reactions: bamf and Gaze
although there are valid points of comparison i experienced it as being significantly different from a drug. with a drug the experience was kind of disembodied and synthetic. this other sort of experience was natural and organic, arising from and bound up in a whole lot of distinct thoughts and values and preceding experiences. for me it's as clear as the difference between dreamed and lived experience, after a dream i wake up and it's just a bunch of interesting or boring thoughts but after love my life and who i am had changed. both were exhilirating but one was disjointed and nonsensical while the other was embedded in a deep and consistent life pattern, a whole lot of successes and failures at personal work and development, and hopes, dreams, beliefs, and so on. i'm not even very experienced with love, but what i did experience was a lot different from using drugs. i'm very bored of drugs now, but i would take the opportunity to be in love again.

Reactions: Gaze
[video=youtube;1IsRckT21sE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IsRckT21sE[/video]

article oversimplifies love. And pop culture has reduced love to a simple, temporary feeling of pleasure and euphoria but that's just one aspect of the experience. Those who've been in love can attest to those feelings being very powerful but not necessarily so out of control that you can't enjoy it without all the hype. The intense feelings can overwhelm the experience but it can be a quiet thing which is relaxed and stable. Love is comfort in its own way. Yes, it rewards the heart and mind, but it's also capable of normalcy and calm. That aspect of love is rarely understood and is one of the most underrated parts of the experience.

hi
- i'm kind of new to this forum - so hello to everyone
this topic struck a chord with me.. i myself have had a bit of bother with the drink and the drugs, and while i can compare
being with a girl to an addiction,, its like a craving where you need to be close to them and you don't feel right until you are, , i do however believe i was in love once.
and i think i still am,
it can be almost spiritual, when you are close,, like two souls mixing or something..
its really something else.

for example myself and my ex girl used to call bed the "temple of skin" , because it was like worshiping ,, or even becoming one with god.

you cannot find the equivalent with drugs ,, serotin released from mdma doesn't make you feel it,, and while if you take enough lsd to time travel and meet the big man you might feel something similar, you tend to be too confused to appreciate it.

whilst I'm sure love fires up the same places in the brain as chocolate cake and rewards, one of the things which signifies love is the totally selfless sacrifices you would make on the others behalf.
its something else,, people wouldn't die for chocolate cake.

now i will apologize for how disjointed my first post here was,, i hope anyone reading this can make some sense out of it