INFPishy
[h=1]Lou Scheimer, Fat Albert and He-ManProducer, Dies[/h]By ASSOCIATED PRESS
10/21/2013 at 06:55 AM EDT

Lou_Scheimer-300.jpg

Lou Scheimer

peoplecover_44x59.jpg

PEOPLE MAGAZINE
Subscribe for instant access to PEOPLE

Lou Scheimer, who founded the Filmation animation studio that produced Saturday morning cartoons including Fat Albert and The Archie Show, has died. He was 84.

The Pittsburgh native behind the cartoon powerhouse died on Thursday, two days before his 85th birthday, Scheimer's wife Mary Ann said on Sunday.

The Los Angeles Times reported that Scheimer's company was the largest animation operation in the country in the early 1980s by number of employees.

Scheimer, who graduated with an art degree from the Carnegie Institute of Technology, founded the company in 1962 with a $5,000 loan from his mother-in-law and opened a one-room office in Southern California. His first big hit was The New Adventures of Superman, and the studio went on to work on series includingHe-Man and the Masters of the Universe andThe Archie Show.

fat-albert-300.jpg
The cast of Fat Albert
BOUNCE TV / AP

He won a Daytime Emmy Award as a producer of the 1974-75 season of the Star Trekanimated series.

In 1969, Filmation was sold to a cable operator that was bought by Westinghouse. Scheimer continued to head Filmation but was told to cut costs and in 1987 announced that some work would be shipped overseas.

In 1989, Filmation was bought by a French investor group that closed the company's Woodland Hills plant and fired most employees.

Scheimer retired several years ago. He is survived by his wife, his daughter, Erika and his son, Lane.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20747479,00.html

Never heard of him before this but he probably made my Saturday mornings as a child fun. I lurved He-Man. I used to watch Fat Albert as well. Those shows made my childhood. Watching these shows was pretty much my main source of entertainment growing up. Thanks Mr. Scheimer for making my children a little more enjoyable. RIP.

Last edited:
Hey Hey Hey! It's Fat Albert!
I loved that show

Some other animated Filmation stuff I really like:
Star Trek: The Animated Series
Tarzan, Lord of the Jungle
New Adventures of Superman
Adventures of Batman
New Adventures of Mighty Mouse
My Favorite Martian (live action)

I think these guys were pioneers of syndication. I had actually watched one the Filmation animated Tarzan on youtube last night with no idea that he had passed.