Looking for Better Programmers to Learn From

WaeV

Community Member
Aug 19, 2009
MBTI
-+/=
Enneagram
Hey all!

My sophomore year of college is drawing to a close, and I've realized by now that the majority of my programming knowledge has come from personal study, not my classes. When next year rolls around I'll take it upon myself to have personal visits with my professors and ask for comments/critiques. This term is fast drawing to a close however, and I'm looking for something to occupy my summer. Gotta keep those programming abilities sharp!

What I'd really like is to meet new people and have a fun time programming! If there are any programmers here who are interested, no matter your ability, I'd love to learn with and from you. :m032: I've posted a similar thread on INTJ Forum, so hopefully there are some people over there who are interested as well.

Here are the projects I'm tentatively working on this summer: (though I'm open to different projects if you have something else in mind)
  • The first is helping one of my friends with a MineCraft mod once the source comes out. That would be in Java. So far there's three of us on that one - me, my friend, and his CS friend.
  • The second project which I've just started work on is a game in JRuby. I'm using Java libraries, but I want to learn some of Ruby's excellent testing frameworks. Plus Ruby's syntax is really nice. The game is slated to be somewhat RTS-style, and I have a few non-programmer friends who are very dedicated to developing it alongside me. I was planning on writing tools for them to use, so they can help without needing to learn to program.
  • The third project, which I've always thought about but never got around to implementing, would be an Oregon Trail clone set in the Lord of the Rings universe. I want to call it "The Erebor Trail" and have it be about Bilbo's journey to Erebor, the lonely mountain. I have one CS acquaintance who's interested in helping me with that, if I ever get around to starting it. I'm not sure about licensing issues, though...
  • Again, I'm open to suggestions, as well.
    :m083:

Man, I'm so excited. This summer is gonna be awesome!
:m059:

I can't really help you, but I will PAY you for a copy of The Erebor Trail!

lmao.

I recommend Sam's guides. But, it depends what you wish to learn and in what depth. To be honest, I just program a little for fun.

Can you link me to Sam's Guides? I googled it, but all I found was a site on birds. <_<

Oregon trail meets lord of the rings. Hmm. Would be interesting if I actually saw lord of the rings. Well, I did see the first 5 minutes of it, but then I just turned it off cause it was BORING. :D Oregon Trail ftw though!! :p

I have programmed it multiple languages, but most are web based. I know Java.. Script!! Not Java though. :( We can always discuss object oriented language or general theories or principles. But don't know ruby or java. :/

That's okay!! I'm going to have to teach my friend Java for MineCraft modding anyways, and he's coming from Prolog! :O

I'm only a beginner at Ruby myself anyways - so we can learn together if you like. Send me a PM! My schedule's about to go topsy-turvy as we go into finals week and then summer vacation, but we'll see what we can do!

I will!! Java should be fun. :D What compiler do youz use? And it better BETTER be free. :p

completely unrelated, but i love your mbti type!

Haha, why thank you. :m027:

I actually test as an INTJ, though I don't hold quite as much faith in the MBTI these days as I once did. My listed type doubles as a tongue-in-cheek representation of INTJ! Check it out:

- (subtraction) for Introversion, since I subtract myself from groups when I need to be alone
+ (addition) for iNtuition, since... nevermind, I'm not going to explain this one. It just came to me ;)
/ (division) for T, since I divide things into categories (Te specifically, I guess)
= (equals) for J, since it's the only logical operator which appears in simple math. The rest DO things, the equals sign judges.

I had the same experience in college; I taught myself essentially everything. I'd almost venture to suggest that a big part of the college experience is learning how to get things done. Can you get a task and see it through and get it done right. When employers look for Bachelors' it seems they often don't even care all that much what it was in, so long as you have one, and I feel it is for that reason. So and so has demonstrated, hey, I can do the work reliably.

That said, I code... for work and fun. Which means 95% work and, when I'm not in a zombie state by the time I get home, 5% for fun. The dayjob is largely python, perl, php, mysql, mongo, apache, html, flash, etc... a million user political action site.

At home, I'm trying to invent the base system in support of a gaming venture based on what I always liked and disliked in RPGS and builder games. I've been talking about it since 1993 (last time I made a game) and haven't really done more than acquire some concept art, really. I hope to start tinkering on the 'world generation' engine for the initial 'test' game this year, but I will learn more about what I can and can't do with it after I start.

Well, from what little I've done so far, I've been finding the Golden T Game Engine for Java to be helpful. I've been using it through JRuby.

Isometric tiling, and the purple square has a velocity (though you can't tell by the screenshot, lol). There is support for audio and input, too.
wooooTiles.png

Haha, why thank you. :m027:

I actually test as an INTJ, though I don't hold quite as much faith in the MBTI these days as I once did. My listed type doubles as a tongue-in-cheek representation of INTJ! Check it out:

- (subtraction) for Introversion, since I subtract myself from groups when I need to be alone
+ (addition) for iNtuition, since... nevermind, I'm not going to explain this one. It just came to me ;)
/ (division) for T, since I divide things into categories (Te specifically, I guess)
= (equals) for J, since it's the only logical operator which appears in simple math. The rest DO things, the equals sign judges.

[MENTION=1584]WaeV[/MENTION]
it is even cooler now that i know it has a meaning behind it. =D
what symbol would you put for a feeler? maybe *?

[MENTION=3615]aerosol[/MENTION] Hmm... that's a good question. I might go for a different set of characters entirely.

Reactions: Arsal and aerosol
Haha, thanks.

:m163:

Hey all!

My sophomore year of college is drawing to a close, and I've realized by now that the majority of my programming knowledge has come from personal study, not my classes. When next year rolls around I'll take it upon myself to have personal visits with my professors and ask for comments/critiques. This term is fast drawing to a close however, and I'm looking for something to occupy my summer. Gotta keep those programming abilities sharp!

What I'd really like is to meet new people and have a fun time programming! If there are any programmers here who are interested, no matter your ability, I'd love to learn with and from you. :m032: I've posted a similar thread on INTJ Forum, so hopefully there are some people over there who are interested as well.

Here are the projects I'm tentatively working on this summer: (though I'm open to different projects if you have something else in mind)
  • The first is helping one of my friends with a MineCraft mod once the source comes out. That would be in Java. So far there's three of us on that one - me, my friend, and his CS friend.
  • The second project which I've just started work on is a game in JRuby. I'm using Java libraries, but I want to learn some of Ruby's excellent testing frameworks. Plus Ruby's syntax is really nice. The game is slated to be somewhat RTS-style, and I have a few non-programmer friends who are very dedicated to developing it alongside me. I was planning on writing tools for them to use, so they can help without needing to learn to program.
  • The third project, which I've always thought about but never got around to implementing, would be an Oregon Trail clone set in the Lord of the Rings universe. I want to call it "The Erebor Trail" and have it be about Bilbo's journey to Erebor, the lonely mountain. I have one CS acquaintance who's interested in helping me with that, if I ever get around to starting it. I'm not sure about licensing issues, though...
  • Again, I'm open to suggestions, as well.
    :m083:
Man, I'm so excited. This summer is gonna be awesome!
:m059:
Show I focus on school or programming?