"Loneliness Is Bad for Your Health, Study Suggests"

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
thoughts?

Loneliness Is Bad for Your Health, Study Suggests

Updated at 3:35 p.m. ET, Tuesday, March 6. Loneliness can send a person down a path toward bad health, and even more intense loneliness, studies have shown. But while some have assumed the culprit was a dearth of others to remind a person to take care of himself or herself, new research suggests there's a direct biological link between being lonely and ill health.

Loneliness can set into a motion a barrage of negative impacts inside the human body – but with additional social contact, some of the ill effects can be stopped.

John Cacioppo, a University of Chicago social psychologist who studies the biological effects of loneliness, presented some of his latest research at the Society for Personality and Social Psychology meeting in San Diego in January.

He has found, for instance, loneliness is tied to hardening of the arteries (which leads to high blood pressure), inflammation in the body, and even problems with learning and memory. Even fruit flies that are isolated have worse health and die sooner than those that interact with others, showing that social engagement may be hard-wired, Cacioppo said.

In one study, Cacioppo and Steve Cole of UCLA examined how the immune system changed over time in people who were socially isolated. They observed a change in the kinds of genes that lonely people's immune systems were expressing. Genes overexpressed in the loneliest individuals included many involved in immune system activation and inflammation. In addition, several key gene sets were underexpressed, including those involved in antiviral responses and antibody production. The result is that a lonely person's body has let its defenses down to viral and other invaders. [7 Personality Traits That Are Bad For You]
"What we see is a consistent pattern where it looks like human immune cells are programmed with a defensive strategy that gets activated in lonely people," Cole told LiveScience.

Here's why: The immune system has to make a decision between fighting viral threats and protecting against bacterial invasions because it has a fixed fighting capability. In lonely people who see the world as a threatening place, their immune systems choose to focus on bacteria rather than viral threats. Without the antiviral protection and the body's antibodies produced against various ills, the result means a person has less ability to fight cancers and other illnesses. Those who are socially isolated suffer from higher all-cause mortality, and higher rates of cancer, infection and heart disease.

In addition, loneliness raises levels of the circulating stress hormone cortisol and blood pressure, with one study showing that social isolation can push blood pressure up into the danger zone for heart attacks and strokes. It undermines regulation of the circulatory system so that the heart muscle works harder and the blood vessels are subject to damage by blood flow turbulence. Loneliness can destroy the quality of sleep, so that a person's sleep is less restorative, both physically and psychologically. Socially isolated people wake up more at night and spend less time in bed actually sleeping, according to Cole and Cacioppo's research.

The cycle created by loneliness can be a downward spiral. Studies by Cacioppo and others before him have found that lonely people tend to rate their own social interactions more negatively and form worse impressions of people they meet.

"Much like the threat of physical pain, loneliness protects your social body. It lets you know when social connections start to fray, and causes the brain to go on alert for social threats," Cacioppo told LiveScience. "Being lonely can produce hyper-reactivity to negative behaviors in other people, so lonely people see those maltreatments as heavier. That makes it possible to fall more deeply into loneliness."

The reasons trace back to humanity's evolutionary history, when people needed each other to stay alive. Loneliness doesn't just make people feel unhappy, it actually makes them feel unsafe – mentally and physically. This powerful evolutionary force bound prehistoric people to those they relied on for food, shelter and protection, to help them raise their young and carry on their genetic legacy. Cacioppo surmises that the distress people feel when they drift toward the edges of a group serves as a warning – like physical pain – that they need to reengage or face danger.

Everyone feels left out for some period of time, be it moving to a new city or starting college. Typically the feelings subside by themselves within six months. But when it comes to treating chronically isolated people, some interventions work better than others. In a large meta-analysis done last year, Cacioppo and colleagues found that two of the best ways to treat loneliness are to train people for the social skills they need to view the world in a more positive light, and to bring people together to share good times.

Correction:
This article has been updated to correct the name and timing of the Society for Personality and Social Psychology meeting (not the Social Psychology and Perception meeting), which occurred in January, not February as we had written

http://www.livescience.com/18800-loneliness-health-problems.html

Reactions: barbad0s and Quiet
Wow it is uncanny timing that you posted this.

I've had problems with my blood pressure for years and I've been pondering over why again recently. A lot of it was just simply poor lifestyle I am sure, but I am convinced there is a big emotional element tied to it also.

During the time in my life when I was the most isolated and depressed, my blood pressure was at its worst. 177/100, at 23 years old. I've since got it lower than that, but I am still hypertensive at a 140/90 average.

This makes a huge amount of sense to me give my own experiences at least...

It goes along with the idea that emotional health directly ties into your physical health, and vice versa.

The study should suggest that overthinking is bad for your health :lol:

Some loneliness is good, though...

The study should suggest that overthinking is bad for your health :lol:

Some loneliness is good, though...

I thought about this, whether they were saying being alone was bad for your health. Loneliness is not the same as alone. You can be alone but not lonely. So, they're probably referring to extended periods of loneliness where you feel lonely and are thinking negatively or suffering emotionally from self induced social separation or isolation. I don't think they're referring to periods where someone just wants to be alone for a while.

I thought about this, whether they were saying being alone was bad for your health. Loneliness is not the same as alone. You can be alone but not lonely. So, they're probably referring to extended periods of loneliness where you feel lonely and are thinking negatively or suffering emotionally from self induced social separation or isolation. I don't think they're referring to periods where someone just wants to be alone for a while.

The difference is between loneliness and solitude. Solitude is simply the state of being alone. I like periods of solitude; I get time to gather my thoughts and integrate my experiences and observations into lessons.
Loneliness, on the other hand, is the feeling of being alone. I hate loneliness; it's a deeply unpleasant emotion. It's the psychological equivalent of pain telling you not to put your hand on the hot stove like a dumbass. Loneliness sucks, and it's supposed to suck, so that you'll feel compelled towards forming emotional connections with people.

Some people can go a long time living in solitude and not be bothered by feelings of loneliness, where some people can be completely inundated in a crowd and feel alone. And it all comes down to how much they require human connection, as compared to a hermit who may be compelled towards solitary intellectual pursuits (Isaac Newton, for example.)

E: I think this ties in a lot with that other thread about INFJ immune systems. The immune system really is a mind-and-body type of thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gktr
So, they're probably referring to extended periods of loneliness where you feel lonely and are thinking negatively or suffering emotionally from self induced social separation or isolation. I don't think they're referring to periods where someone just wants to be alone for a while.
Then I feel it 90% of the time, regardless of being around someone/somewhere or not... :shrug: I don't think it's even possible to change it in my case, it is like a part of me I can't imagine seeing myself without it.

I think it can effect you negatively.

Maybe it doesn't effect some people all that much, but how much better would this person have been if not lonely?

I was also wondering about how they defined loneliness, because with the fruit fly example they used, it was simply a comparison of social contact vs. no social contact. I'm assuming it's a little more complicated with humans, though. You can be surrounded by people and interact with them every day, and still feel painfully lonely.

I would also like to point out that just as this article highlights how physical health is influenced by emotional health, it also works the other way around--emotional health is highly influenced by physical health. The two are inseparably interconnected.

Loneliness and being alone are two different things. Loneliness is bad, but being alone is a healthy part of life.

There are many studies that show loneliness has negative mental and physical health effects.

Unfortunately the paper costs twelve bucks to read so I can't be certain of the validity of the study. I did read a separate article published in the university of Chicago magazine which suggests, among other things, that you can be completely alone; no family, no friends and still not suffer the effects of loneliness. It's a bit long but interesting.

http://magazine.uchicago.edu/1012/features/the-nature-of-loneliness.shtml

Unfortunately the paper costs twelve bucks to read so I can't be certain of the validity of the study. I did read a separate article published in the university of Chicago magazine which suggests, among other things, that you can be completely alone; no family, no friends and still not suffer the effects of loneliness. It's a bit long but interesting.

http://magazine.uchicago.edu/1012/features/the-nature-of-loneliness.shtml

Just have to be careful not to let anyone know you're alone or you'll be straight onto the next list for human experimentation 'volunteers'.

It makes sense that the immune system would focus more on bacterial threats when a person is isolated from other people. However, it's certainly not because you "see the world as a threatening place" when you're alone. If you're isolated from other people, there won't be anyone around who carries a virus which might infect you. I suppose the main problem is that today, no one lives in solitude. Even if you're as isolated as you can possibly be in modern society, you'll still have some contact with other people.

In addition to the negative effect loneliness can have on the immune system, there are other reasons it why might be harmful to people's health: lonely people easily become depressed. When people suffer from depression, they often have irregular sleep patterns, unhealthy diets, and in some cases, problems with substance abuse.