the

Si master race.
Banned
Feb 17, 2009
MBTI
ISTJ
Enneagram
9w1
Does anyone know what channels make up the so called liberal media? Most channels seem pretty conservative to me.

I keep the liberal media in my back trouser pocket!

How can one channel make up the liberal MASS media????

What about MTV?

How can one channel make up the liberal MASS media????

What about MTV?

Subwayrider hits the nail on the head. It's all about how you define "the media". If you limit it to cable television, Fox is way off to the right, nbc is fairly left (depending on which outlet) and CNN is supposedly kinda centrist. Places like MTV don't have shows that only show how Jesus is the best person ever so they get labelled as liberal.

Expanding out to newspapers and journals...I've heard people say the New York Times is actually slightly conservative. The Wall Street Journal is definitely conservative.

If you start to encompass blogs and forums into the media, I think "media liberalization" is a false term. I think it's fairly moderate overall. You can get pretty much any viewpoint from the internet.

On a different note, the extreme rhetoric used by news outlets to construe how bad a problem is, is an entirely new problem.

Reactions: muir
Expanding out to newspapers and journals...I've heard people say the New York Times is actually slightly conservative.

It is all very subjective I think.
When I have read the New York Times, I have come away with the sense it leans Liberal.
I tend to read and watch news that leans both ways, and then come to my own conclusion.
We have 2 major newpapers where I live. The Mpls Star Tribune that tends to be on the liberal side. And the St Paul Pioneer Press which tends to lean more conservative.
I always find it interesting to read articles from each paper on the same story, and observe how the context can be tilted one way or the other.
Sometimes on TV, just the inflection of the anchor's voice can change the context.

We were recently on a trip, and the main source of TV news was Fox. I commented to my Wife how amusing it was to listen to them go out of their way to put a right wing spin on things.
The SNL skit where they lampoon the Fox & Friends show really rings true to me.
(Fox & Friends. Sounds like a children's program)
People say CNN is very Liberal. But when compared to Fox, I see it as more centrist.
Again, it's a very subjective thing.
I don't think it is a healthy thing to constrain your views to one political philosophy or the other.
Best to keep an open mind.

Last edited:
Don't know of any American channels, but Max Keiser's pretty liberal - always a good watch. http://rt.com/programs/keiser-report/. In general, Russia Today and NHK news are fairly liberal.

:md:

What passes for liberal media are programs from pbs and npr that are actually neutral, but reporting facts about things like global warming appear as biased to idiots.

What passes for liberal media are programs from pbs and npr that are actually neutral, but reporting facts about things like global warming appear as biased to idiots.

reporting facts does seem biased to idiots haha. That should be on a some kind of photo somewhere and passed along the net.

RT is nice.

'Global warming' is misleading, probably deliberately so.

'Twas a misrepresented issue which served to divide the people.

[video=youtube;bXNFl6Ft5Hk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXNFl6Ft5Hk[/video]

There's not such thing as "liberal or conservative" media. It's all subjective. To me, Fox news is ultra conservative but that might be because of my own personal beliefs. Likewise, to Europe the US might appear to be an ultra conservative country and vice versa. I personally think CNN is balanced, while MSNBC leans a bit left. All the other ones I also find to be rather neutral, with the exception of Fox which I think it leans too far to the right.