LEV/Carpool lanes: Do they cater to the "rich"? | INFJ Forum

LEV/Carpool lanes: Do they cater to the "rich"?

Sloe Djinn

Idiot with Internet Access.
Mar 2, 2010
MBTI
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
I was thinking about it this morning, and I've heard the topic raised here and there on the radio during my commute to work. I was curious as to what other forumites think about it.

On my local highways, which are really busy, there are additional lanes that are reserved for those who are driving zero-emission cars, such as hybrids, or who are participating in carpools. In casual observation I have noticed that the majority of cars that I see using these lanes are single-driver Volts, Teslas, Priuses, and other electric or hybrid types.

My questions here are:

1) Are these lanes more-accessible to "rich" folks who can afford these cars which are more expensive than the average combustion-engined car?

2) Is there anything wrong with that?

3) If so, what might be done to change it?

My initial feeling is that the lanes are generally more accessible to more affluent people due to the fact that single-rider LEV's are allowed. I think that it's an unintended side-effect of what is essentially a good idea (go faster if you pollute less). It is of course possible for people who can't afford a hybrid to carpool in these lanes. Does this make carpooling a penalty for being poor and wanting to go faster, or an incentive to be more successful, or do those questions miss the mark entirely?

Additionally, what do people find worse, pollution or congestion? I kind of feel like the lanes should be reserved for carpools only, as less cars on the road would ease congestion regardless of who's polluting or not. There are so many hybrids on the roads (this is a pretty affluent area) that the carpool lanes don't really help that much anymore.

All thoughts welcome and appreciated. Please be civil.

I think its just a way for the states to bring in more money through tickets. They have dedicated police in my area to patrol the HOV lanes. Its a huge money maker. I dont think they care who they ticket. Rich or poor alike,

Reactions: Sloe Djinn
@Sloe Djinn

1) Are these lanes more-accessible to "rich" folks who can afford these cars which are more expensive than the average combustion-engined car?
Possibly, but it's also benefiting people who prioritise environmental choices and make sacrifices in other areas to buy green. It is possible that it's incentivising green cars for impatient drivers with money to burn.... but it comes down to how much of a difference being in that lane makes on average.

2) Is there anything wrong with that?
I think it's stupid to put efficient cars in the fast lane, because the longer an inefficient car sits in traffic, the more carbon goes into the air. I'd put the heaviest polluting vehicles in a fast lane: trucks busses, suvs, etc.

3) If so, what might be done to change it?
Abolish the stupid lanes, because if they are supposed to incentivise levs, it will be subject to diminishing benefits, as more people get them and crowd the lane. In the meanwhile, pollution is intensified as polluting traffic becomes less efficient.

Reactions: Sloe Djinn