Lets talk gluten | INFJ Forum

Lets talk gluten

Eventhorizon

Permanently relocated
Banned
May 19, 2013
MBTI
INTJ
Very interesting, thanks for sharing this. Gluten definitely isn't good for everybody and I sometimes wonder is it good at all for humans...

My grand mother wasn't never diagnosed with celiac disease and I think that's the reason why she got cancer and died, she had symptoms for such a long time. :(

Very interesting, thanks for sharing this. Gluten definitely isn't good for everybody and I sometimes wonder is it good at all for humans...

My grand mother wasn't never diagnosed with celiac disease and I think that's the reason why she got cancer and died, she had symptoms for such a long time. :(

It would be very tough to say. Think of all the people that died from cancer before they knew what cancer is. Thinking back to my brother who is now deceased and some of the issues he was having, I believe its possible he was affected by gluten before people were even talking about it.

Anyway its just something for people to think about when doctors cant tell you for sure whats happening to you.

I used to suffer from a very severe panic disorder as well as clinical depression since I was a small child. I spend quite literally thousands of hours researching anxiety and depression trying to find coping mechanisms and skills to help reduce the anxiety because at several points it had reached a point where I could barely manage to leave my house or even step outside without having a full blown panic attack. I was on anti-depressants which caused me to become suicidal and I had a very difficult time through my life... In and out of therapy, in the ER for an emotional breakdown, blah blah blah you name it.

At no point had I ever considered that food was the cause of my anxiousness. I KNEW that if I ate sugar I would crash. Just as I knew certain foods would make me feel "off." I would tend to avoid those things but not always. I used to have a lot of stomach issues but I thought that everyone did. I used to have chronic nightmares EVERY single night and had a lot of trouble sleeping. Miraculously I never failed anything in school but academically I should have been a straight A student but was more of a B student because I had a lot of brain fog and just overall didn't feel well.

When I was going through a fairly severe agoraphobic stage I ended up in therapy for the fourth time and they wanted me to try meds again despite my very bad reaction to them before. Apparently I had so much anxiety and stress in me at all times that I was potentially causing physical damage to myself. I almost gave in until my therapist suggested "Eating for Anxiety." In all the books I read, podcasts I read, after all the therapies, medical tests etc... no one had EVER suggested I change how I ate. So I gave it a try. I never went into it think about Gluten. I went into it thinking "I have to cut out grains and dairy so that I can live a life."

It took only a few months of being grain free before I was able to leave my house without Ativan. It was the first time in my life I actually felt alive. When it dawned on me that I might ACTUALLY, for the first time ever, be anxiety free I burst into tears because of how relieved I was. I had never, not for a single day, felt what it was like not to be dragged down by my mental condition. Looking back now, I don't know how I made it through my life like that.

This lead me down the Paleo path and researching a lot of Gluten stuff. It's true, people CAN be sensitive to Gluten. I know for myself when I eat anything that has grains in it I will gain an obvious amount of water weight. My feet swell up. I become incredibly bloated and not to get too TMI I will develop gas (which I never have otherwise) and my bowels will feel very distressed. My brain fog comes back and my ability to concentrate becomes quite a lot less. I mean, it takes about 30 minutes for some of these symptoms to begin popping up for me. It's not like I have a digestive apocalypse or anything truly alarming. However, I did experiment over the last six to eight weeks and was allowing more grain foods in my diet. The results were kind of disturbing in that my mood became VERY altered. I was unable to manage my stress. I started becoming very impulsive with my spending and my job performance started to suffer. I slipped into a very severe depression where I experienced suicidal thoughts which I haven't had now in 2 years. I actually felt worthless and like I was ruining my life. The decline in my mental health was slow but it reached a near breaking point before I snapped out of it and realized that I was getting too far down that path.

So my physical symptoms are usually manageable but the mental illness really began to creep up on me almost to the point that I started to fear I might not be able to turn back.

Now, I have read a LOT of articles over how grains (I don't like to get stuck on gluten specifically as there are many things in grains that can be problematic) can affect mental health so if anyone is interested, I can post some when I am at home.

I used to suffer from a very severe panic disorder as well as clinical depression since I was a small child. I spend quite literally thousands of hours researching anxiety and depression trying to find coping mechanisms and skills to help reduce the anxiety because at several points it had reached a point where I could barely manage to leave my house or even step outside without having a full blown panic attack. I was on anti-depressants which caused me to become suicidal and I had a very difficult time through my life... In and out of therapy, in the ER for an emotional breakdown, blah blah blah you name it.

At no point had I ever considered that food was the cause of my anxiousness. I KNEW that if I ate sugar I would crash. Just as I knew certain foods would make me feel "off." I would tend to avoid those things but not always. I used to have a lot of stomach issues but I thought that everyone did. I used to have chronic nightmares EVERY single night and had a lot of trouble sleeping. Miraculously I never failed anything in school but academically I should have been a straight A student but was more of a B student because I had a lot of brain fog and just overall didn't feel well.

When I was going through a fairly severe agoraphobic stage I ended up in therapy for the fourth time and they wanted me to try meds again despite my very bad reaction to them before. Apparently I had so much anxiety and stress in me at all times that I was potentially causing physical damage to myself. I almost gave in until my therapist suggested "Eating for Anxiety." In all the books I read, podcasts I read, after all the therapies, medical tests etc... no one had EVER suggested I change how I ate. So I gave it a try. I never went into it think about Gluten. I went into it thinking "I have to cut out grains and dairy so that I can live a life."

It took only a few months of being grain free before I was able to leave my house without Ativan. It was the first time in my life I actually felt alive. When it dawned on me that I might ACTUALLY, for the first time ever, be anxiety free I burst into tears because of how relieved I was. I had never, not for a single day, felt what it was like not to be dragged down by my mental condition. Looking back now, I don't know how I made it through my life like that.

This lead me down the Paleo path and researching a lot of Gluten stuff. It's true, people CAN be sensitive to Gluten. I know for myself when I eat anything that has grains in it I will gain an obvious amount of water weight. My feet swell up. I become incredibly bloated and not to get too TMI I will develop gas (which I never have otherwise) and my bowels will feel very distressed. My brain fog comes back and my ability to concentrate becomes quite a lot less. I mean, it takes about 30 minutes for some of these symptoms to begin popping up for me. It's not like I have a digestive apocalypse or anything truly alarming. However, I did experiment over the last six to eight weeks and was allowing more grain foods in my diet. The results were kind of disturbing in that my mood became VERY altered. I was unable to manage my stress. I started becoming very impulsive with my spending and my job performance started to suffer. I slipped into a very severe depression where I experienced suicidal thoughts which I haven't had now in 2 years. I actually felt worthless and like I was ruining my life. The decline in my mental health was slow but it reached a near breaking point before I snapped out of it and realized that I was getting too far down that path.

So my physical symptoms are usually manageable but the mental illness really began to creep up on me almost to the point that I started to fear I might not be able to turn back.

Now, I have read a LOT of articles over how grains (I don't like to get stuck on gluten specifically as there are many things in grains that can be problematic) can affect mental health so if anyone is interested, I can post some when I am at home.

Yeah I would never suggest that cutting gluten out alone is a fix by itself even though for some it may be for some. For others it may just be a start.

I notice that when I eat rice I have these energy swings. Some days I feel so exhausted I can barely more. I have cut rice rice out of my diet and dont experience this any more it seems. I used to eat rice from Chipotle as it is one of the few place that doesnt have gluten in much of its food.

However, [MENTION=7838]SpecialEdition[/MENTION] while you dont want to focus only on gluten you may want to remove gluten specifically no e the less. Some of what you mention sounds similar to some of my experience. Consider it. Either way I am glad to hear you have found some answers. I know what its like not having them and wondering if its all just in your head.

Yeah I would never suggest that cutting gluten out alone is a fix by itself even though for some it may be for some. For others it may just be a start.

I notice that when I eat rice I have these energy swings. Some days I feel so exhausted I can barely more. I have cut rice rice out of my diet and dont experience this any more it seems. I used to eat rice from Chipotle as it is one of the few place that doesnt have gluten in much of its food.

However, [MENTION=7838]SpecialEdition[/MENTION] while you dont want to focus only on gluten you may want to remove gluten specifically no e the less. Some of what you mention sounds similar to some of my experience. Consider it. Either way I am glad to hear you have found some answers. I know what its like not having them and wondering if its all just in your head.

I think you misread me. I eat zero grains. At all. I avoid anything that could have gluten in it but that tends to be a by-product of not eating anything processed or what I deem to be "shit." lol.

I think you misread me. I eat zero grains. At all. I avoid anything that could have gluten in it but that tends to be a by-product of not eating anything processed or what I deem to be "shit." lol.

I think I understood. As I have personally found out though just avoiding grains and processed food isnt enough to remove gluten from your diet. As an example did you know that gluten can be found in one of the dyes used to make coke or can be found in some wine because what they use to seal the wine casks has gluten in it and it leaches into the wine? Yes I know coke is the appitame of processed.

Anyway as I said just a consideration.

Last edited:
I think I understood. As I have personally found out though just avoiding grains and processed food isnt enough to remove gluten from your diet. As an example did you know that gluten can be found in one of the dies used to make coke or can be found in some wine because what they use to seal the wine casks has gluten in it and it leaches into the wine? Yes I know coke is the appitame of processed.

Anyway as I said just a consideration.

Gluten creeps up in a lot of things that most people don't consider. I read every single label of everything that I buy to assess the carb/sugar content and to see how many ingredients there are, etc. However, I avoid most food that isn't chopped off an animal or that can't be picked out of a garden. Just about everything I eat is single ingredient. I don't like ingesting garbage what so ever.

Gluten creeps up in a lot of things that most people don't consider. I read every single label of everything that I buy to assess the carb/sugar content and to see how many ingredients there are, etc. However, I avoid most food that isn't chopped off an animal or that can't be picked out of a garden. Just about everything I eat is single ingredient. I don't like ingesting garbage what so ever.

Thats great and difficult. Or at least it is to start. I hate walking by restaurants these days and smelling what they are cooking inside. :)

Thats great and difficult. Or at least it is to start. I hate walking by restaurants these days and smelling what they are cooking inside. :)

It took a lonnnnnnng time to really modify all of my eating. I woulds say it took about six months before I really had a hang on it. But now I've been eating like this a few years, so it's a lot easier.

It would be very tough to say. Think of all the people that died from cancer before they knew what cancer is. Thinking back to my brother who is now deceased and some of the issues he was having, I believe its possible he was affected by gluten before people were even talking about it.

Anyway its just something for people to think about when doctors cant tell you for sure whats happening to you.

I think a big issue is that modern society STARTED eating trash and now people are genetically 'forgetting' how to eat things that used to be staples.

I don't think rice for example normally would hurt you because a vast majority of the world has eaten it for thousands of years. I think it started hurting people because people stopped eating it and otherwise natural foods and replaced them with shit and now our bodies don't know what to do anymore.

Animals adapt to the food they must eat and we have been adapting to shit and trash for generations now. It's not just that a certain kind of food is bad for you - look at koalas, they eat eucalyptus which is just about the worst plant to eat ever but they're built for it and around it and practically don't eat anything else.