Barnabas

Time Lord
Oct 7, 2009
Florida man
MBTI
wiblywobly
Enneagram
timeywimey
I'm interested in what other forum members think/believe/things/monkeyemotes about Satan/Devil/adversary/or what ever name you'd like to go with.

Though for this discussion I'd like to keep it relegated to the Judeo-christian penultimate evil. So while I know there are plenty of other faiths and individual spiritualities I'd like for them to leave their variants out of the discussion though they should feel free to make comment on their opinions of Christianity's big bad though.

And let's start it off with a question, does Satan exist?

i don't believe satan exists as an entity/person/bad guy out to get your soul
i think it's a metaphor for evil that exists in all of us

I wrote an essay on Satan when I was in school. Unfortunately I spelt it Satin and everyone laughed at me.

They were so mean; I was completely justified in killing them all.

Reactions: the
I wrote an essay on Satan when I was in school. Unfortunately I spelt it Satin and everyone laughed at me.

They were so mean; I was completely justified in killing them all.

Mmmm spelt.

Reactions: Tin Man
Satan exists. He is an evil genius.

Mmmm spelt.

Outside the US 'spelt' can be used as a substitute for spelled, if you're being lazy.

Anyhow, Satan, which means 'accuser':
A cold, incorporeal, vast existing intellect; with comprehensive knowledge of the entire universe and all possible dimensions; aeviternal, powerful, entirely malicious, without the state of grace, fallen angelic nature, ultimate deceiver, sower of discord, enemy of the good, hater of God, destroyer of life, perverter of the innocent, father of lies, enemy of mankind, dweller of a dark, sulfurous, fiery abyss. That kind of thing.

Outside the US 'spelt' can be used as a substitute for spelled, if you're being lazy.

Anyhow, Satan, which means 'accuser':
A cold, incorporeal, vast existing intellect; with comprehensive knowledge of the entire universe and all possible dimensions

can you give references for that? the only reason I ask is lately I heard a fairly convincing argument for that lack of a singularly supreme satan and instead replaces the idea with many different little satans with different points and purposes

Reactions: Flavus Aquila
can you give references for that? the only reason I ask is lately I heard a fairly convincing argument for that lack of a singularly supreme satan and instead replaces the idea with many different little satans with different points and purposes

What is the arguement that makes them smaller satans? Can't they all be large ones? (Serious question)

He's a sexy beast that looks eerily similar to Tim Curry...

[video=youtube_share;JZ34LPKodEA]http://youtu.be/JZ34LPKodEA[/video]

Edit: Sorry for being off-topic. I'll bring up a serious response once I find the reference I have in mind about the subject.

Reactions: Radiantshadow
Before the Babylonian Exile, I don't think there was a Satan. The Serpent in the Garden of Eden? Not Satan.

Satan is never mentioned anywhere until 1st Chronicles 21:
Satan rose up against Israel and incited David to take a census of Israel.
2 So David said to Joab and the commanders of the troops, “Go and count the Israelites from Beersheba to Dan. Then report back to me so that I may know how many there are.”

This is quite strange! Why? Because it is such an odd place to introduce Satan by name without any back story mentioning Satan by name. Who is this strange "Satan" that has suddenly appeared and has been given a name just now? I mean ok, people who already know try to make connections with Satan and when they think the Bible is supposed to be talking about Satan. Where would they be if they did not have this presupposition to compare to?

This is as opposed to the original account that was retold from 2nd Samuel 24:
Again the anger of the Lord burned against Israel, and he incited David against them, saying, “Go and take a census of Israel and Judah.”
2 So the king said to Joab and the army commanders with him, “Go throughout the tribes of Israel from Dan to Beersheba and enroll the fighting men, so that I may know how many there are.”

So this old record itself did not even include Satan by name in the first place!

No thanks. Have enough problems already.

A cold, incorporeal, vast existing intellect; with comprehensive knowledge of the entire universe and all possible dimensions; aeviternal, powerful, entirely malicious, without the state of grace, fallen angelic nature, ultimate deceiver, sower of discord, enemy of the good, hater of God, destroyer of life, perverter of the innocent, father of lies, enemy of mankind, dweller of a dark, sulfurous, fiery abyss. That kind of thing.

This. Satan is an angel who fell from heaven to earth shortly before or during the creation of Adam. He's not a red bull with horns. He appears as an angel of light and was once the top leader of the heavenly hosts. He betrayed God and a third of the angels followed suit with the commander to become the army of Hell. Demons. They celebrate in wickedness and enjoy ensnaring and harming the lives of the innocent and cause further suffering to the already wicked. He appears as good to make others commit sin and skews the definition of right and wrong by making people believe they're doing the right thing in their own hearts when they're really going against the will of God's heart. I'm of the idea that the horde is like an army ("Our name is Legion for we are many"). I believe there's chains of command with some more powerful than others just like with the angels. These evil ones crave power (which is why the rebelled in the first place) which would support this theory and they work as a team without separate wills to cause the greatest damage possible and possess hosts in multiple numbers to accomplish the same and worse goals. They are of no power against the forces of God though. They merely obey them. God just allows there to be a war. This is a purely Biblical version.

Last edited:
[video=youtube_share;YcW3pei4t_c]http://youtu.be/YcW3pei4t_c[/video]

u wanna know about satan?

satans a punk b****

thats all you need to know

who created Satan?

[video=youtube;ayWQGYHG2GQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayWQGYHG2GQ[/video]

Reactions: endersgone
This. Satan is an angel who fell from heaven to earth shortly before or during the creation of Adam. He's not a red bull with horns. He appears as an angel of light and was once the top leader of the heavenly hosts. He betrayed God and a third of the angels followed suit with the commander to become the army of Hell. Demons. They celebrate in wickedness and enjoy ensnaring and harming the lives of the innocent and cause further suffering to the already wicked. He appears as good to make others commit sin and skews the definition of right and wrong by making people believe they're doing the right thing in their own hearts when they're really going against the will of God's heart. I'm of the idea that the horde is like an army ("Our name is Legion for we are many"). I believe there's chains of command with some more powerful than others just like with the angels. These evil ones crave power (which is why the rebelled in the first place) which would support this theory and they work as a team without separate wills to cause the greatest damage possible and possess hosts in multiple numbers to accomplish the same and worse goals. They are of no power against the forces of God though. They merely obey them. God just allows there to be a war. This is a purely Biblical version.

would appreciate the biblical sources for this

What is the arguement that makes them smaller satans? Can't they all be large ones? (Serious question)

Most Christians lump, the serpent in the garden of eve, there is Satan in the book of Job, the morning star in Isaiah( which was translated as Lucifer in latin), the figure in ezekiel 28 and all other references in the NT as speaking of a single individual. The counter argument asserts that there isn't a single opposite to God but instead many and that the verses I referenced speak of separate distinct individuals or speak in a very general sense.

the point of the argument is to move away from the dualistic view of a omnipotent good god and seemingly omnipotent bad god with the belief that having a single omnipotent figure the works with and around several other distinct individuals that have unique purposes reflect the monotheistic view of God better.

I'm not saying I buy it(it has plenty of other holes) and I definitely can't present it as well as it was presented to me. But it caught my attention and thought it merited further discussion.