Lack of obvious emotion question | INFJ Forum

Lack of obvious emotion question

Eventhorizon

Permanently relocated
Banned
May 19, 2013
MBTI
INTJ
Do you feel that lack or lesser obvious emotion has to do more with how an individuals brain is structured physically or more with the mental state a person is in or has developed?

It's self-defense.

It's self-defense.

So by this you ar3 stating it is not how the brain is physically structured but more having to do with a mental state?

I think it is mainly how the brain was structured from birth. Whether the brain received abundant amount of emotional nurturing and if such a thing was part of the parenting styles. I would say about 40% nature and 60% environmental factors such as parents, home environment, etc

I think it is mainly how the brain was structured from birth. Whether the brain received abundant amount of emotional nurturing and if such a thing was part of the parenting styles. I would say about 40% nature and 60% environmental factors such as parents, home environment, etc

What are you basing this assement on?

The latter. Experience tells me so.

I don't feel anything about the physical structure of the brain. Reckon I'd have to read up on some neuroscience.

What are you basing this assement on?

My own observations and personal experience. It might not be useful if you were looking for a scientific backing. Im a humanist so i always tend to generalize on the big perspective of human development and life cycle and I also subscribe to early childhood experiences, even as back as being in the womb as having a very strong emphasis on the development of the brain. Have you heard of cranosacral therapy? check it out - very interesting perspective on working with the brain to improve one's health and diminish pain.

I think it's more related to the mental state a person develops..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My own observations and personal experience. It might not be useful if you were looking for a scientific backing. Im a humanist so i always tend to generalize on the big perspective of human development and life cycle and I also subscribe to early childhood experiences, even as back as being in the womb as having a very strong emphasis on the development of the brain. Have you heard of cranosacral therapy? check it out - very interesting perspective on working with the brain to improve one's health and diminish pain.
No, looking for opinions as well. Just asking about the source.

I think it's more related to the mental state a person develops..

So would you say the lack of obvious emotion is a defect in your mind then?

Yes. There's a reason, however. I don't have a lack of obvious emotion but I have a friend who does, and he's been living his life under the pressure of never showing how he feels (due to his situation in life), until it developed for him to feel like it's best to have a lack of obvious emotion, which later became a defect in his mind from constantly doing it, so now he does have a lack of obvious emotion. I don't think the brain structure can change that easily at an age older than 7.

Yes. There's a reason, however. I don't have a lack of obvious emotion but I have a friend who does, and he's been living his life under the pressure of never showing how he feels (due to his situation in life), until it developed for him to feel like it's best to have a lack of obvious emotion, which later became a defect in his mind from constantly doing it, so now he does have a lack of obvious emotion. I don't think the brain structure can change that easily at an age older than 7.

You bring up an interesting point. There was a time where I had some amount of emotion about things. However I found that generally the emotions I did have were sometimes overwhelming, did not always make sense, got in the way of being able to function normally etc...
This was pretty early in life for me. I believe at some point I found I could turn them off by not caring. Not caring at the time was not easy. I worked at it though and at some point I think I became to good at it. Eventually preferring to think clearly over emotionally. I felt more at ease and stable.

What I do not know is if this change would have happened on its own had I nit involved myself with it or if it came about because of my wanting it to. Or...was it that the emotion I though I had was not real and was only me pretending to have emotion so that I would fit in with everyone better.

If the emotions got in your way of functioning properly then I suppose you did not want to feel this way in the first place, however, your want for these feelings to go away eventually did change the way your mind stimulates your responses. Also, I genuinely think that these changes would have never happened if you had not involved yourself in them.

Some of the folks I've known for a while have begun to notice things, a couple have said at times I do not appear to feel. (haha) - It's more like they do not control me any more actually. Who knows? :D