Kurt Cobain & Billy Corgan

aerosol

American trash
Jan 16, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I don't know what Billy is and what Kurt was, because I can't type people at all.
I'm not suggesting either of them to be/have been INFJ. I'm just looking to get some opinions here.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEEIGiO9hgM&feature=related"]YouTube - Smashing Pumpkins - Billy talks about protecting his music[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bRvRo-mPT0"]YouTube - Kurt Cobain Interview, 93-08-10 (almost complete) (part 1)[/ame]

My opinion of Kurt Cobain is INFP.

I don't know enough of Billy Corgan(besides the controlling drama) to type him, but I don't think he was INFJ. As for stereotypes, his music seems too erratic and energetic for INFJ.

Billy Corgan reminds me of my old INFP boss and my INFP uncle...so I'd have to go with that. Kurt Cobain is really hard to type because he was addicted to heroine and bipolar according to relatives, but I would say XNTP?? I don't know.

XNTP?? I don't know.

Kurt's guitar playing was very NFP like. It was all about the feeling and it doesn't give a rats ass about the theory of the scale or chords and for that matter, Kurt was not a technical type of guitarist. When I think of an NT type guitarist/musician I think of someone like Buckethead or anyone who is really fast.

Other people on the internet say Cobain: ISFP/INFP. People think s because his lyrics weren't "deep" or "filled with emotions" like an n would do it. (Pfffft!)

Corgan: INFP. That almost makes sense. But something is off.

@Arsal, come help me out.

Last edited:
Kurt Cobain: INFP
Billy Corgan: INFJ(?)

Opinions, of course.

:D

What makes you think Billy Corgan could be INFJ? How "sure" would you say you are?

My opinion of Kurt Cobain is INFP.

I don't know enough of Billy Corgan(besides the controlling drama) to type him, but I don't think he was INFJ. As for stereotypes, his music seems too erratic and energetic for INFJ.

That makes no sense, erratic or energetic is a emotion not a personality trait. I make energetic music for fun and to expression passion which is very present in a INFJ.

I think they're deep. Just not in the same way as an INFJ would do it.

Yeah, I think they're deep too.

Why do you think it's different from how an INFJ would do it? That's an interesting comment.

What makes you think Billy Corgan could be INFJ? How "sure" would you say you are?

Not very. I'm not familiar with his music, just judging based on his interview. His mannerisms are similar to other INFJs. :]

Other people on the internet say Cobain: ISFP/INFP. People think s because his lyrics weren't "deep" or "filled with emotions" like an n would do it. (Pfffft!)

If Kurt Cobain started making the intro music for the teletubbies, he would still be an INFP! :D

I think you need to consider his motivations, above and before, the result of his actions. He has said many times how he feels about lyrics and his process for writing them and his reasons for his writing process are all very considered and well thought out, in my opinion. His decision to write seemingly "meaningless" lyrics, could in a way be interpreted as meaningful or counter cultural or anarchistic, whatever. I believe he did have a very personal, idiosyncratic and philosophical stance of his writing process.

You should watch the documentary, About a Son, all audio recordings of interviews edited from Cobain, accompanied by fresh and poetically shot footage of his home town and the places he lived.

Both INFP, if you ask me.

However, they were/are both so massively pretentious it's too difficult to get a clear view. My guess would be that they both use Fi, according not to their lyrics (I never listen to lyrics anyway but I don't think that's a good test) or their music (that's personal taste not personality) but to their image. Both are "depressive hero" types and that's an image they court. It's a bit too "I'm different let's cry together" for an Fe user.

Whoever said about T types doing clever guitar. Yes. You're right, I think. An INTJ is likely to be technically brilliant - think of any heavy metal lead guitarist.

Last edited:
Both ISFP imo although if I was going to label either of them INFJ I would think Corgan would be closer. Cobain's Ideas don't seem structured enough for a J and ISFP really makes a lot of sense. It's impossible to tell though really, We don't know these people just their stage personas. If I was looking for an example of INFJ in the music world I'd say someone like Trent Reznor would be closer (No pun intended) just from lyrics of some of his songs.

Both ISFP imo although if I was going to label either of them INFJ I would think Corgan would be closer. Cobain's Ideas don't seem structured enough for a J and ISFP really makes a lot of sense. It's impossible to tell though really, We don't know these people just their stage personas. If I was looking for an example of INFJ in the music world I'd say someone like Trent Reznor would be closer (No pun intended) just from lyrics of some of his songs.
I would agree with the Trent Reznor comment. I've pegged him as possibly INFJ. He comes accross very softspoken and courteous, warm but reserved in his interviews.

kurt's songs are very structured though. his lyrics seem drugged to me. once someone told me that these guys were planning to do an album together before kurt passed away. (unverified)

Are you kidding me? Billy Corgan is as INFJ as they come. Ridiculously INFJ. This makes me wonder if you people in this thread are INFJs. He is an extremely perfectionistic, planned, organized and decisive person. He is very clearly Feeling driven and into animals and animal care (indicates Fe function). He is also clearly very contemplative and introverted, which indicates I + Ni function. He has all the INFJ mannerisms down: intense look, looking down when speaking sometimes, LOTS of metaphors. His music reeks Fe.

Are you kidding me? Billy Corgan is as INFJ as they come. Ridiculously INFJ. This makes me wonder if you people in this thread are INFJs. He is an extremely perfectionistic, planned, organized and decisive person. He is very clearly Feeling driven and into animals and animal care (indicates Fe function). He is also clearly very contemplative and introverted, which indicates I + Ni function. He has all the INFJ mannerisms down: intense look, looking down when speaking sometimes, LOTS of metaphors. His music reeks Fe.

I don't think you get to be Corgan or Cobain as an introvert. Besides, have you seen how Kurt Cobain was on stage? his stage-diving? his disregard for his own health? I recommend you watch the new documentary "Montage of Heck" about him with home video footage of him and his life.

I agree with Corgan being INFJ, aside from the characteristics [MENTION=13804]Hydroxylas[/MENTION] describes, he's also very involved in politics and activism. Things an INFJ can devote a great deal of heart to.
Cobain is tougher, indeed because of his addiction issues. But there are many musicians and even actors that are introverted, Trent Reznor, Marilyn Manson included. I've seen many of these performers live and you would never know by their antics onstage. But that's just it, an act.

http://theintuitivemusician.com/famous-musicians-myers-briggs-mbti-types/infj-music/

http://brandongaille.com/73-most-famous-people-with-infj-myers-briggs-personality-type/

lol @
796.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Misadventure