zsedftghj830

Community Member
Sep 14, 2021
Firestone, CO
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Is anyone else greatly concerned for the kids that seem to base their entire self worth on likes? The constant need for attention and praise… Sadly there are a lot of people that give them unwarranted praise often just creating more problems (not on purpose of course). That’s the sad thing, it’s done with good intentions but the unintended consequences are damaging. Praise is a balance though, I understand that. I just wish social media would die off and force us to interact face to face like the old days. People were much happier back then. We’re much more “connected” now while being the most unconnected we’ve ever been. I’m sad and honestly not very hopeful for the future

Edit: I just realized this topic has been covered already several times and much more eloquently I might , so feel free to brush off my post, lol. I’m just ranting because I was triggered

Last edited:
Kids (and all kinds of people) become addicted to social media because likes give a dopamine rush. Like any addiction, they need more and more to get the same rush, and when they don't get it their mental health divebombs.

I see a lot of Gen Z kids rejecting social media, rejecting current trends, and living low-key lives, young women refusing to fall for current make-up trends, etc. Unplugging as an act of rebellion with catch on.

I don't have kids, so it is hard for me to say how kids should be raised and what I would do. I was surprised when my niece got an iPhone when she was 8yrs old, though. I understand the pressure her mom must be under to fit in with other kids and parents, but it seemed young. It was really weird to have an 8yr old contacting me on social media. I have stricter boundaries about children on the Internet than a lot of my friends and family members with kids and I understand that I am not facing the pressures they face as parents.

Not just kids but all ages have seen declines in mental health over the past few years so it shouldn't surprise anyone at this point.

Bonus

Last edited: