Justifying your own existence... | INFJ Forum

Justifying your own existence...

TinyBubbles

anarchist
Oct 27, 2009
MBTI
^.^
Enneagram
Do you ever feel the need to justify your own existence?

I feel this way, like I don't have the right to live unless I've achieved a certain number of things, unless I've lived life in the correct way, unless i've made sufficient amends for my mistakes...... can anyone relate? Does one's existence need to be justified before it can be enjoyed?

I feel that way once in a great while. I've had a bad experience with it, though, so I'm done trying to justify my existence. I'm here because I haven't died yet, that's about as complicated as it gets lately.

It's not possible, so why try?

When I'm having one of my days where I sit around and think too much, I think about this a lot...especially since I've fallen away from traditional Christianity a bit. When I was younger and full into Christianity, I still had these thoughts. I knew I was here for some sort of purpose, because that's why God had put me here, but I was really struggling with what exactly that purpose could be. Like I said, I've fallen away from that belief system (not exactly an agnostic but not really so much a Christian anymore), but I still can't see this world as just full of wandering beings who are here for no reason...so yes, in my rambling way, I can relate. I've come to the humanist belief that I'm here to help others who are here, whatever that means.

I have a really hard time justifying my existence. As I get older, this all becomes 'more of the same' and it is easier to sort of skip past the initial shock of feeling worthless at a universal level.

I am not a big fan of being a skipping record, even though sometimes I cannot help it. However, not wanting to repeat past mistakes, or even just avoiding repeating unrewarding actions, urges me forward. Part of me also wants to just make something worthwhile for myself, I suppose for that specific validation that would say "Yep, you have done something great, and we love you for it."

I think in the back of our minds we have a bit of a survival instinct that unifies with our intellect which tends to symbolize heavily. If we can make an impact, a huge impact, then part of us survives (symbolically) in the thoughts and monuments of others.

I believe parents do this with children too, try to pour themselves into the child to ensure part of them-self lives on; not just at a genetic level, but something intellectual, or even part of their soul, if you are spiritual.

I feel this way as well, April/May.
I feel as though as a twenty year old, there should be certain things that I'm capable of doing. And the fact that I seem to be incapable at times is incredibly frustrating and gives me the sense that I am not utilizing myself. I'm not doing all that I could be, all that I should be, instead I'm busy off in my own little world trespassing and making messes.

I would feel a need to justify my existence if I thought anyone else could justify their own. Seeing as how they, animals, and all the inanimate objects that exist don't have to... why should I? I just happen to have come into existence.

It probably wasn't my choice, and it probably won't be my choice when I go out of existence.

The only thing I have trouble justifying is the cost of my existence... food, shelter, other people's time, etc. I usually try to make up for this by donating to charities whenever I have the means.

I cannot justify my existence. I would not even know how too. I feel as insignificant as everyone else. Modern life is depressing too me...

Never am I in response to your post as a parent I can tell you that I try to pass on information my kids need to know. I don't want them to be like me. I don't like me. I want them to be themselves. All children need guidance from their parents. Sadly it seems that most parents are ill equipped to be parents. Myself included. It's why tribal life too me seems better. Every one in your tribe takes care of you instead of just your parents.

Sort of. I feel like I have a debt to pay off to society (and more specifically my parents) for investing in me so much.

However, what you are talking about seems to run much deeper than that. I have come across this line of thinking before, but for me I didn't linger here for long as I soon had to ask myself "how would I justify my existence anyway?" For me, that would mean contributing more value than I took from the world, which gets into the question of what is actually valuable. For me, these two things fall on the same path: self-actualization.

I cant imagine anyone who feels that they need to do this as being able to set the bar high enough and then meeting that standard.

I wouldn't say I feel like I don't have the right to live unless I've done all those, but I

I would feel a need to justify my existence if I thought anyone else could justify their own. Seeing as how they, animals, and all the inanimate objects that exist don't have to... why should I? I just happen to have come into existence.

This is how I feel as well. Just because humans have evolved to the point where we are capable of contemplating our own existence, it doesn't mean we need to do things in order to justify it. We exist because life exists. We have as much right to exist as a tree, flower, bird, elephant, unicorn (er, oops, not that one) or octopus has. Humans are just as much a part of the ecosystem as any of these things, and you don't see them trying to justify their existence, do you? :D

However, being that we HAVE evolved to the point that we can contemplate our existence and its consequences, I do think we have an obligation to try and preserve the ecosystem we are a part of, and also to strive for equality amongst ourselves.

Reactions: acd
No, but i do wonder when I head out to work or school everyday, why my car didn't get into an accident, while someone's else life was changed because they did.

a tad bit of survivor's guilt.

This is how I feel as well. Just because humans have evolved to the point where we are capable of contemplating our own existence, it doesn't mean we need to do things in order to justify it. We exist because life exists. We have as much right to exist as a tree, flower, bird, elephant, unicorn (er, oops, not that one) or octopus has. Humans are just as much a part of the ecosystem as any of these things, and you don't see them trying to justify their existence, do you? :D

However, being that we HAVE evolved to the point that we can contemplate our existence and its consequences, I do think we have an obligation to try and preserve the ecosystem we are a part of, and also to strive for equality amongst ourselves.
This. :)

I think all of us exists for a purpose, in a echoing kind of way. *cough* even the worst of us and our actions have a purpose.

I have always been an experiencer. When I was younger, I lived hard, I worked hard, and played hard. I have usually given things my all, except for school. I learned more in the time since I quit college than I ever learned in the time before. I don't feel like I need to justify anything now except my love for God. I'm not into church either.

*hugs you all*

there are some wonderful insights here~ thankyou so much

To justify one's existence seems to imply to me that some people deserve to live and some people don't...which goes against everything I know. We have all made positive and negative contributions to society and the future of mankind. I am sure that all of us has changed someone else's life for the better....even just one person, even in just a small way...

Justification of my existence per se: no.

However, I often feel I have to justify my existence in relation to particular contexts - such as my job, social situations, place in my family, etc.