Just curious

Annabreher

Community Member
May 23, 2011
MBTI
INxJ
Enneagram
9w1
I am currently dating a ISTJ. Needless to say its incredibly interesting. What do you guys think about INFJs dating ISTJs? I am not as familiar with all of the MBTI stuff.

-Anna

Gonna have deeper compatibility problems.

good luck?

Reactions: Sriracha
I think it depends entirely on the INFJ. My answer might be very different from what works for you.

My mom was an ISTJ and my dad was an INTJ. Now I'm NOT bitching because they loved me VERY much, and I grew up in a nice stable home where my parents didn't fight. If half the world were that lucky, we would not be such a messed up world. But I have to tell you that the TJ combination was very invalidating of me. It took me reading PLEASE UNDERSTND ME to realize that my mom really DID express a lot of love, just not with hugs and kisses the way I would have liked: she would spend hours at the sewing machine making the stripes line up at the chest to shoulder seam.

My first/only husband was ISTJ. When we went to marriage counseling and I found out he was an ISTJ, all I could think was, "I've married my mother. What the hell have I done?" It didn't bother me so much that he judged people, as much as he judged them on irrelevancies. My judgments tend to be about behavior like "Child molestor: bad" or "Hogging the conversation: narcissistic," my husband would judge about superfluous things like "Mormon: Bad." He was this christian guy who just ASSUMED that anyone not "born again" was not to be trusted.

I form great productive aquaintences with ISTJ's. But I don't want them for friends.

I think it depends entirely on the INFJ. My answer might be very different from what works for you.

My mom was an ISTJ and my dad was an INTJ. Now I'm NOT bitching because they loved me VERY much, and I grew up in a nice stable home where my parents didn't fight. If half the world were that lucky, we would not be such a messed up world. But I have to tell you that the TJ combination was very invalidating of me. It took me reading PLEASE UNDERSTND ME to realize that my mom really DID express a lot of love, just not with hugs and kisses the way I would have liked: she would spend hours at the sewing machine making the stripes line up at the chest to shoulder seam.

My first/only husband was ISTJ. When we went to marriage counseling and I found out he was an ISTJ, all I could think was, "I've married my mother. What the hell have I done?" It didn't bother me so much that he judged people, as much as he judged them on irrelevancies. My judgments tend to be about behavior like "Child molestor: bad" or "Hogging the conversation: narcissistic," my husband would judge about superfluous things like "Mormon: Bad." He was this christian guy who just ASSUMED that anyone not "born again" was not to be trusted.

I form great productive aquaintences with ISTJ's. But I don't want them for friends.

I pretty much understand that I have to have a relationship with either an NF or SP. NF's seem to be the most romantic. But I find SP's to be very sexually attractive -- I've come to terms that they simply are going to be shallow and that I have to find other friends to have conversations with. Once I accepted SPs for who they are and stopped trying to change them, I found them to be a fabulous balance for my over-serious ways.

If you want to be with someone you're going to be with them regardless of typology.

Exactly this. Their type may be what initially leads you into liking someone but you should not be lead into liking someone because of their type. Hope that makes sense.

I am currently dating a ISTJ. Needless to say its incredibly interesting. What do you guys think about INFJs dating ISTJs? I am not as familiar with all of the MBTI stuff.

-Anna

Smartest thing you've ever done is what I think.

Reactions: Stu