Jordan B. Peterson - Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief | INFJ Forum

Jordan B. Peterson - Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief

Discussion in 'Read and Review' started by Korg, Dec 21, 2016.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 8 users.
More threads by Korg
  1. Korg

    Korg Banging on the walls

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2009
    Threads:
    92
    Messages:
    2,911
    Featured Threads:
    3
    Likes Received:
    2,043
    Trophy Points:
    878
    MBTI:
    -
    Enneagram:
    -
    I'm reading this right now and enjoying it. I am not far into it, but I will update when I'm done.

    I know the subject will interest many others here as well, that is why I'm sharing.

    "Why have people from different cultures and eras formulated myths and stories with similar structures? What does this similarity tell us about the mind, morality, and structure of the world itself? Jordan Peterson offers a provocative new hypothesis that explores the connection between what modern neuropsychology tells us about the brain and what rituals, myths, and religious stories have long narrated. A cutting-edge work that brings together neuropsychology, cognitive science, and Freudian and Jungian approaches to mythology and narrative, Maps of Meaning presents a rich theory that makes the wisdom and meaning of myth accessible to the critical modern mind."

    If you want to read it as well, I will very much want to hear your thoughts.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Synergos, Asa, ny7x and 4 others like this.
  2. OP
    Korg

    Korg Banging on the walls

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2009
    Threads:
    92
    Messages:
    2,911
    Featured Threads:
    3
    Likes Received:
    2,043
    Trophy Points:
    878
    MBTI:
    -
    Enneagram:
    -
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Asa, ny7x and Skarekrow like this.
  3. Bird

    Bird Happy Go Lucky

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2010
    Threads:
    120
    Messages:
    6,185
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    3,203
    Trophy Points:
    878
    MBTI:
    -
    Enneagram:
    -
    Thanks for sharing this with everyone :)
    you're the best.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Synergos, ny7x and Korg like this.
  4. Cornerstone

    Cornerstone Well-known member

    Joined:
    May 31, 2012
    Threads:
    22
    Messages:
    2,004
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    1,531
    Trophy Points:
    777
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    London
    MBTI:
    Pisces
    Enneagram:
    Metal Goat
    Oh nice, thanks! I've watched almost every lecture on his youtube channel so will have to give this a read
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Synergos, ny7x and Skarekrow like this.
  5. the

    the Si master race.
    Banned

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2009
    Threads:
    479
    Messages:
    14,392
    Featured Threads:
    9
    Likes Received:
    8,743
    Trophy Points:
    1,112
    MBTI:
    ISTJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    I've just gotten into some of his lectures. Very interesting stuff.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Synergos and ny7x like this.
  6. MrSquared

    MrSquared Well-known member

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2015
    Threads:
    14
    Messages:
    2,128
    Featured Threads:
    2
    Likes Received:
    6,015
    Trophy Points:
    867
    MBTI:
    1234
    Admirable guy.
     
    ny7x likes this.
  7. ny7x

    Banned

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2019
    Threads:
    0
    Messages:
    107
    Likes Received:
    174
    Trophy Points:
    483
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Athens/Greece
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    E2
    I respect Dr. Anderson more than way too many intellectuals out there.
    Does that give me the right to disagree with some of his points?

    I enjoyed so much of his intellect concerning male and female roles and on depression
    but..
    when it comes to God's existence i notice something funny..
    a man with that brain should have seen the truth by now!
    Again, this is my subjective, apparently understudied compared, view.
    I have had arguments online in support of Dr. Anderson and i take pride in having stopped some editors from making videos against him due to those arguments.
    But concerning God, i think he is a little short-seeing and i wonder why that is.

    For example,
    If all cultures have different but similar myths
    couldn't an alternative be that they describe the same truth?
    Way too many ancient civilizations speak of a world flood and a sole survivor (8 specifically) on a big boat.
    couldn't that be also because it happened and not because some drives/archetypes within us are mutual?
    We're still looking for "the missing link" to prove we've evolved from monkeys in order to explain or excuse our actions on monkey motives.
    Finding the boat itself could have solved the argument, changing faith to science and science to faith but
    some may have missed it! (Link)
    [​IMG]

    right along missing this
    [​IMG]
    because the Saudis have been hiding it with a fence for years and now will build a casino on top,
    or even that
    [​IMG]

    makes me wonder.. maybe he's smarter than what we even give him credit for!
    wolf-smart!

    I read the description btw but the pdf is not for free. (it might be a free audiobook i think but i am confused easily with Dr. Anderson if i am not reading him.
    my mind gets lost inside the worlds he builds in my imagination and i can't follow his train of thought to the end.
    Maybe that too makes sense...

    <3
    ..a view!
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Cornerstone likes this.
  8. Cornerstone

    Cornerstone Well-known member

    Joined:
    May 31, 2012
    Threads:
    22
    Messages:
    2,004
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    1,531
    Trophy Points:
    777
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    London
    MBTI:
    Pisces
    Enneagram:
    Metal Goat
    I agree that perhaps there was a catastrophic flood of some kind and that these myths all, or mostly, came out of that event or those events. It's the 'two of every animal' and only eight people which are main the problems with a literal interpretation. Finding the ruins of a very big boat, even one which matches the specifications of Noah's Ark, doesn't mean that the rest of the story is true. The same applies to the split rock. That's kind of what makes it a myth, being true but not true. I think it is more likely that reality is so bizarre and incomprehensible that these kind of myths are ways of receiving information in tolerable doses without going completely mad from the revelation with just enough bizarreness to deter people from lapsing into physicalism.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. ny7x

    Banned

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2019
    Threads:
    0
    Messages:
    107
    Likes Received:
    174
    Trophy Points:
    483
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Athens/Greece
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    E2
    Well, the truth is that the confusion is there for a reason indeed.
    It began very early too, turning this debate into a personal fight for everyone.
    I don't intent to win this argument but i'd love it if it could be beat inside you by your own self.
    There are missing pieces in the puzzle that if one sees,
    the whole story of Noah makes perfect sense if we knew some particulars about it.
    I will not attempt to win the argument because it has been won already.

    Dr. Kent Hovind is the man who changed my mind from going down the rabbithole i was being trained into from school.
    Although i randomly picked this video, there's a chance more proof are layed out in other videos.
    This man is the most important man alive as he has debated ALL professors in their own universities and has won arguments even 3 to 1 and on the 1 v 1s he even made a professor cry
    in front of his whole school.

    All i'm trying to say is
    it's the evidence that defines the truth and never the theories!
    If someone is hiding the evidence from you, my job is to help you find them, not debate you, because i too was right there myself!
    but that's a long time ago!

    There's a lot that proves the flood and way more that disprove the evolution theory.
    But each point i make could be defended without checking the evidence (because our theories keep us strong and we cling on to them)
    and the point is not to argue when evidence exists.
    This is not about finding the boat ..
    it's about being lied to from school about it and turned into the apes they want
    This man has been teaching in schools and universities and has collected all science books in known history!
    Mentioning that so he is not considered "a religious fanatic"


    jump to 4th minute
    if we're continuing this debate it deserves it's own thread but i'm not making it :)
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Wyote

    Wyote ○●○
    Staff Member Administrator

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2008
    Threads:
    230
    Messages:
    31,172
    Featured Threads:
    16
    Likes Received:
    153,041
    Trophy Points:
    4,271
    Gender:
    Male
    MBTI:
    Ni Space
    Enneagram:
    9 Seas
    I'm not trying to open a debate here, but this dude is a straight up quack
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Lady Jolanda likes this.
  11. ny7x

    Banned

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2019
    Threads:
    0
    Messages:
    107
    Likes Received:
    174
    Trophy Points:
    483
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Athens/Greece
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    E2
    If someone does not look into it and only listens to his haters
    (all the evolutionists who can never win a single argument against him who are uncountable like the stars)
    then yeah, he is that!
    But there's no evidence supporting any claim for any fraud.

    He spent 8 years in prison for "structuring"
    a law that is about to be removed because of his case (still hoping)
    The government apologized but never returned his funds to him.

    In the line of work he chose before and after jail
    it makes perfect sense!
    just focus on what he is saying brother @Wyote
    you may hear the truth from a beggar on the streets
    if you would judge him for being a beggar you'd be the one missing out!

    What you did today is named "straw man argument" and it's been used against many whose evidence we deny to see.
    The method is simple.
    create a straw man and attack that instead of having the skill or knowledge to refute the real man!

    wanna talk about people of respect?
    Kent Hovind's the name!
    you too will eventually agree even if not tonight!
    but your straw man could deter someone else from pressing play, this is why you earned my response :)
    i'm still not into debating it much
    all i do is point!
    don't break the finger :)


    all <3

    "village of 8"
    .....
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Wyote

    Wyote ○●○
    Staff Member Administrator

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2008
    Threads:
    230
    Messages:
    31,172
    Featured Threads:
    16
    Likes Received:
    153,041
    Trophy Points:
    4,271
    Gender:
    Male
    MBTI:
    Ni Space
    Enneagram:
    9 Seas
    You are making a lot of assumptions about my knowledge here.
    I didn't really anticipate that you'd absorb my words, so they aren't really for you, but others who can view what he is about more objectively.

    :m176:
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. ny7x

    Banned

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2019
    Threads:
    0
    Messages:
    107
    Likes Received:
    174
    Trophy Points:
    483
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Athens/Greece
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    E2
    I didn't!
    i only referred to Dr. Hovind's knowledge!

    meaning? they weren't that many to even get an idiot like me confused! (strike one!)
    How can they "view" that if you don't allow them to observe it?
    Oh, you mean, to believe you?
    ain't that "faith" ?

    Being the "subjective" one here, are you sure you're not the one making assumptions without a) checking evidence b) knowing me?
    This is strike two on the personal indirect attack!
    Letting it slide, yet pointing it out so i can save you from strike three that might break the glass...

    My friend, if you insist on your claim there are two roads
    1) show me the proof because
    a. i too want to know
    b. this is what honorable men do when we blame someone guilty of something!

    alternatively
    2) try to debate me on it instead if you don't like him and we'll see if i turn out a quack as well :)

    doing my best to help you leave characters out of it!

    And allow me a suggestion my new friend :
    Don't take the second option due to failure to prove the first.
    it's a trick!
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #13 ny7x, Sep 27, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  14. Wyote

    Wyote ○●○
    Staff Member Administrator

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2008
    Threads:
    230
    Messages:
    31,172
    Featured Threads:
    16
    Likes Received:
    153,041
    Trophy Points:
    4,271
    Gender:
    Male
    MBTI:
    Ni Space
    Enneagram:
    9 Seas
    Yes
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. ny7x

    Banned

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2019
    Threads:
    0
    Messages:
    107
    Likes Received:
    174
    Trophy Points:
    483
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Athens/Greece
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    E2
    Thanks!
    :)
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. ny7x

    Banned

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2019
    Threads:
    0
    Messages:
    107
    Likes Received:
    174
    Trophy Points:
    483
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Athens/Greece
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    E2
    But oh... @Wyote
    until you prove your accusations and/or bring evidence to the contrary view of what he or me are saying
    you'll be on the assuming side!
    my side said : "here's some evidence for your minds to ponder"

    Thank you for being careful with your words, heading my warning and all and writing the minimal that you possibly can, but that way you are also insulting me and the viewers.
    So until you share that "hidden knowledge" and evidence that makes you so sure to throw a "yes" like i deserve no better
    a) you will be the one "assuming" things
    and b) you'll have me as an enemy as i enjoy all proof where i see it's not fabricated and i hate empty words!

    Had to be stated!
    you're the one who threw the punch more than twice anyway, i don't care if others don't see it, i did!
    mirrors see everything and merely reflect it back!

    If you want to debate (defend/attack) something, stick to attacking that and not ALL those who support it!
    i'll be around waiting for confirmations that will turn claims into truth and assumptions into intelligent opinions.

    till then.....
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. Wyote

    Wyote ○●○
    Staff Member Administrator

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2008
    Threads:
    230
    Messages:
    31,172
    Featured Threads:
    16
    Likes Received:
    153,041
    Trophy Points:
    4,271
    Gender:
    Male
    MBTI:
    Ni Space
    Enneagram:
    9 Seas
    I've made no accusations, simply stated my opinion. It's your choice to live in your own reality, I can't stop you.

    I said I didn't, very first thing.

    You're insulting me by wasting my time, so we are pretty even here
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #17 Wyote, Sep 27, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  18. ny7x

    Banned

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2019
    Threads:
    0
    Messages:
    107
    Likes Received:
    174
    Trophy Points:
    483
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Athens/Greece
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    E2
    Lemme help you,
    This is an accusation and an insult!
    Notice, there will be no response below it
    because i am tired of fighting clouds of "nothing but insults" and i came here in this forum to rest!
    been fighting in the shade and all...

    I can use it for some education though!
    that way we all win!
    you've earned it anyway!
    Let's see how many university degrees one needs to grasp this one:

    An insult is an arrow.
    staying in the confines and safety of the castle, shooting one to the heart of whoever comes close to tearing down the walls.
    a sWord is different.... do i need to explain more?

    i see nothing shinning yet to worry about since i have a breastplate on for those.
    on it it writes : "I fight for Truth and truth can only be one, proven by the evidence as no evidence proves lies if they are not lies and there can never be unproof to something true"

    so.. you' Legolas to penetrate it?
    bring a sword or throw another arrow and this thread will need a title change :)

    :smirkcat:
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #18 ny7x, Sep 27, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  19. ny7x

    Banned

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2019
    Threads:
    0
    Messages:
    107
    Likes Received:
    174
    Trophy Points:
    483
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Athens/Greece
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    E2
    Oh wait, i missed one!
    if an opinion comes with no evidence it's a view!
    don't confuse the two words!

    "Belief" is the key word today...
    If he haven't defined it yet, let's get some help!


    (this video is not a debate as it claims ,it's edited point to point by a third party.
    Let's call it a 3rd person debate!)
    some other quack i guess :)
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  20. Wyote

    Wyote ○●○
    Staff Member Administrator

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2008
    Threads:
    230
    Messages:
    31,172
    Featured Threads:
    16
    Likes Received:
    153,041
    Trophy Points:
    4,271
    Gender:
    Male
    MBTI:
    Ni Space
    Enneagram:
    9 Seas
    The more you try and "help" me, the more unreasonable you prove yourself to be
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page