It is illegal to be homeless

Cecilff2

Emancipator of Poultry
Mar 18, 2009
MBTI
Finland
Enneagram
They should all just get jobs!

...oh wait that's right, there are none!

Reactions: middle1
If memory serves me right then yes, it is illegal to be homeless.

This is a step in the right direction - the ends justify the means! This will get more people off the street, but not all of them. Just like laws making it illegal to drive without insurance, it will increase the amount of people purchasing insurance or, in this case, housing. Afterwards, hopefully, the government can step in to help. We all need food and housing and health care. The first is taken care of privately, and the last is taken care of governmentally. I'd like to see the government expand social services to provide housing to anyone who needs it. This is a basic human need, and our government needs to provide it to people who do not have it. You can't put people on a months long waiting list for housing, just like how you can't put a person bleeding to death on a days long waiting list for medical help. They need it NOW!

So if I sell my house, but the new house I'm moving into won't close for another week, and I spend that week at my friend's place until I can move in, I can be arrested?

Nah this is about people sleeping on the streets(Stoops, benches, wherever). You're also not allowed to feed them(Soup Kitchens, you're out).

Technically, vagrancy is still an offence (well it is here in Oz, I think) but in truth is so rarely enforced as to be meaningless.

We have a much smaller population here of course but you wouldn't notice this in the cities which are just as crowded as everywhere else. One thing I have seen over the last 20 years is the increase in people living on the streets and begging. This has coincided with spending cuts in the social services areas and the closure of institutions and halfway houses for people with mental health issues. It has also been an era of rapid wealth acquisition for some and a widening gap between rich and poor which has never existed to this extent in this country before. I don't think it is a coincidence.

Personally, I don't give money to people begging but always offer to take them for a meal. If they want money for a room, I will direct them to an organisation which can help them better than I can. I don't understand banning food donations. They're not stray cats - that part I find offensive.

In Sydney before the Olympics, it was alleged that the government "cleaned up the streets" meaning they rounded up the regulars and took them somewhere out of sight until the games were over. I don't know if this is true but it is not good policy really.

I am thinking that with the royal wedding coming up, the City of Westminster might be trying something similar. You can't have all those homeless people visible on the parade route. It might give people the impression there is some kind of class system in England.

So what the fuck are they going to do to enforce this? This makes me angry; it is so stupid. Do they think anyone actually wants to sleep on the streets? There is no practical way to enforce something like this, and it will likely force some people into theft if they cannot gain food via begging or charity. It will make the streets more dangerous without actually helping anyone get off them, unless they are planning to arrest people and put them in jail for being homeless.

Yeah some people WILL be forced into crime to try to stay out of jail, but when your choices are crime or jail, its a lose-lose and you will become a cog in the machine of power no matter what you choose. It should be unconstitutional to force someone to be a part of society. Another chapter in the war on personal freedom. Use this moment to remember the life of Chris McCandless.

I don't know if this makes me more angry or more sad...how can people be such insensitive assholes?

I know I don't have a solution that will fix the problems caused by the recession, but this is not the answer.

It's times like these that I'm ashamed to be a human being. :(

I cant even begin to disagree with you. I feel the exact same way, and I dont know what else to say because you spoke for both of us

This infuriates me. I have seen it up close and personal. There's so much red tape to go thru to get off the streets once you've lost your place to live, that it's nearly impossible to do so. So we're just going to starve them to death now, is that it? That's absolutely absurd. I realize things are different in the States, but it can't be all THAT different.

Imagine you're homeless. Imagine you are homeless and mentally ill, possibly severely depressed. Imagine that you simply have fallen on hard times, as many of us have, and got in a rut you couldn't get out of. Imagine you decide you are going to try and get a job.

Ok, things to think about:

How will you get a shower/cleaned-up?
What will you wear?
How will you get to where you need to go to put in your applications?
How will you get copies of your resume, provided you have one? Go to the library and print them? Ok, fifteen cents a page, not to mention, how in the hell are you going to get to the library?
Most employers will legally require proof of identify, and in the States, your Social Security card and address.
Ok, so you are going to go get an ID. Go to the DMV and try and get one. They will tell you that you need a copy of your birth certificate, Social Security card, and two proofs of address from a list of acceptable documents. Well, you don't have an address, much less proof of one. Not to mention, who carries around a copy of their birth certificate and SS card? So you go to the Social Security office and request your SS card. They ask you for your birth certificate and picture ID. And forget getting a copy of your birth certificate. It takes weeks, requires a credit card, and an address, and costs anywhere from $20-$50, and extra if you want it expedited. But don't forget you don't have anywhere for them to send it, unless you happen to live in the state in which you were born, in which case you can find a ride (?) to the Bureau of Vital Statistics and request one in person. Should only be about $20, which you don't have.
How will prospective employers contact you, smoke signals?

Or let's say you're homeless and by some miracle, you have all the documentation you need to get a job legally. Then the real problems you have to face are:

Again, how will you get cleaned-up?
What will you wear?
How will you GET where you need to go to work, provided you can even find an open job and manage to get hired, despite the fact that employers still have no way of contacting you?
Where will you sleep at night, so you have enough rest to wake up and work everyday?

Then there's the whole problem of mental illness to consider. Even financially stable persons have a hard time facing everyday tasks when depressed.

Unfortunately the system works to keep homeless people homeless. There are non-profits that focus on helping homeless people, and trying to get them out of these ruts. In the winter, they go pass out blankets to those sleeping on the streets. They try to find and secure housing and help find addiction rehab and mental health services for those in need. The problem is, there are thousands of homeless people, and only a few people with enough compassion to go out and try to help them. The system for dealing with the problem of homelessness in America is broken, and clearly it doesn't end here.

Reactions: Faye
This infuriates me. I have seen it up close and personal. There's so much red tape to go thru to get off the streets once you've lost your place to live, that it's nearly impossible to do so. So we're just going to starve them to death now, is that it? That's absolutely absurd. I realize things are different in the States, but it can't be all THAT different.

Imagine you're homeless. Imagine you are homeless and mentally ill, possibly severely depressed. Imagine that you simply have fallen on hard times, as many of us have, and got in a rut you couldn't get out of. Imagine you decide you are going to try and get a job.

Ok, things to think about:

How will you get a shower/cleaned-up?
What will you wear?
How will you get to where you need to go to put in your applications?
How will you get copies of your resume, provided you have one? Go to the library and print them? Ok, fifteen cents a page, not to mention, how in the hell are you going to get to the library?
Most employers will legally require proof of identify, and in the States, your Social Security card and address.
Ok, so you are going to go get an ID. Go to the DMV and try and get one. They will tell you that you need a copy of your birth certificate, Social Security card, and two proofs of address from a list of acceptable documents. Well, you don't have an address, much less proof of one. Not to mention, who carries around a copy of their birth certificate and SS card? So you go to the Social Security office and request your SS card. They ask you for your birth certificate and picture ID. And forget getting a copy of your birth certificate. It takes weeks, requires a credit card, and an address, and costs anywhere from $20-$50, and extra if you want it expedited. But don't forget you don't have anywhere for them to send it, unless you happen to live in the state in which you were born, in which case you can find a ride (?) to the Bureau of Vital Statistics and request one in person. Should only be about $20, which you don't have.
How will prospective employers contact you, smoke signals?

Or let's say you're homeless and by some miracle, you have all the documentation you need to get a job legally. Then the real problems you have to face are:

Again, how will you get cleaned-up?
What will you wear?
How will you GET where you need to go to work, provided you can even find an open job and manage to get hired, despite the fact that employers still have no way of contacting you?
Where will you sleep at night, so you have enough rest to wake up and work everyday?

Then there's the whole problem of mental illness to consider. Even financially stable persons have a hard time facing everyday tasks when depressed.

Unfortunately the system works to keep homeless people homeless. There are non-profits that focus on helping homeless people, and trying to get them out of these ruts. In the winter, they go pass out blankets to those sleeping on the streets. They try to find and secure housing and help find addiction rehab and mental health services for those in need. The problem is, there are thousands of homeless people, and only a few people with enough compassion to go out and try to help them. The system for dealing with the problem of homelessness in America is broken, and clearly it doesn't end here.

I couldn't agree more. My husband and I were homeless for a while. We still don't have jobs. We manage to have housing because my husband receives disability checks of $674/mo. That's our only income. It gives us a roof over our heads but we still have to go to all of the food banks just to survive per month.

There were nights we spent riding a 24 hour bus, buying a bus pass for $5 per day. My husband had a month pass for $25 due to his disability.

Shelters? There were none for us. We would have been separated every night, and have to be out by 7 and back by 3 to get a bed. Even then the "programs" were for a) men with substance abuse or severe mental problems, or b) women who were pregnant, had children, or were domestically abused. There was a very small "family" shelter, but apparently you don't count as a family if there's only two of you. Other than the family shelter or the programs, there was nowhere for a homeless couple to go.

This was in San Jose, CA, the area that's the headquarters of Google, Yahoo, E-Bay, Intel, HP, etc. When the economy plummeted, people couldn't afford their $1,000/mo rent for their STUDIO apartment. This left them sleeping in their cars until they eventually had to sell those too. While the homeless don't go hungry in San Jose due to several programs (plus the ability to get food stamps and cash aid) housing is of utmost concern.

True, there are a lot of crazies who are homeless. But we met some decent people who were down on their luck too.

If memory serves me right then yes, it is illegal to be homeless.

That's because their not paying taxes. Remember, kids: Paying taxes is more important than your survival.