Is Van Gogh an INFj? Or maybe an INFp?

the13thmartian

Community Member
Jul 22, 2012
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I am really curious about Van Gogh. Some say he was a loner, and I think it is very safe to say he is an introvert. He is clearly an F basing on his work and his personal life. And I have a guess that he is an N... I was first inclined to think that he is an INFJ but then again, he was said to be disorganized, so maybe an INFP?... What do you think guys? :m190:

Last edited:
Reactions: 5ufvdee369jcdd
Since he was very creative, could be ISFP or INFP. Had a lot going on internally it seemed and never really promoted himself or his work.

WTH, I just realized there's a different subforum for this... Anyway, ISFP is the artist right? And well, yes, maybe INFP, though I have seen some claims that Van Gogh is an INFJ but I can't say if they're reliable. Well, thank you :)

Hmm, usually using lowercase p or j implies socionics, but I think you're speaking in terms of MBTI. I'd say he had too many emotional issues to type him correctly - mental disorder distorts personality. Also, think in terms of functions. Disorganization may be common in P types, but some Js may be disorganized if they tunnel vision or obsess. What matters is if his thinking or feeling is extroverted. Introverted thinking and/or feeling (which is what P types have) makes it a stronger habit to get lost in thought.

Van Gogh is dead as such he granted the special personality type De Ei Ai De

What matters is if his thinking or feeling is extroverted. Introverted thinking and/or feeling (which is what P types have) makes it a stronger habit to get lost in thought.
Unless you're a se inferior and get lost in Ni-ing ( <---verb) and organizing things in your head which can get you so oblivious to reality that you walk half way down the road in your house slippers, in the snow.

Yes, I'm referring to MBTI. I'm sorry about that.

Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me an ear. I think when he chopped his ear off for the waitress he indicated that he was squirrelly. But how do specific types get squirrelly? I can't see Van Gogh doing advanced mathematical problems. He does seem to be using Se in his paintings. That's a low trait for INTP. Or for INFJ or INFP. I think painters have to be S to a degree because I don't think N wants to get messy in the real world of paint. I might be wrong. But paint sounds very S to me.

Based on the documentary I watched about him last night, I'd say INFP or ISFP.

The Kurt Cobain of his time.

But who knows how accurate the portrayal was, or how accurate my perception is. (Or how reliable MBTI is, for that matter.)

Good documentary though. Highly recommended:
The Power of Art
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NTPG84/?tag=infjs-20

Also covers Caravaggio, Bernini, Rembrandt, David, Turner, Picasso, and Rothko.

ISFP

INFJs. Want to claim every master in their chosen field. Give it up. You guys are good philosophers and change agents, and average painters.

Reactions: jimtaylor
You want to know MBTI and you still look at the four letters. Sorry but I have to say it.

How stupid ...

I am really curious about Van Gogh. Some say he was a loner, and I think it is very safe to say he is an introvert. He is clearly an F basing on his work and his personal life. And I have a guess that he is an N... I was first inclined to think that he is an INFJ but then again, he was said to be disorganized, so maybe an INFP?... What do you think guys? :m190:

lmaooo this is from 2012 but sorry I just have to say it, :m065:

clearly, he is not alive and never had an interview so I can not type him using communication preferences and actions but we can use the classic typing formula. Using common sense and his writing from either him himself of others writing about him like his brother.

S vs N and T vs F

Vincent Van Gogh is most likely an INFP because not only did he express himself through art but he also wrote. One of my favorite quotes from him is "Normality is a paved road; its comfortable to walk but no flowers grow."

This not only shows his feeling but his deep connection with life. He grew up asking himself questions about life deeper than the surface that's why he is not an ISFP.
He was an outcast even in his family yet he was aware of it. He also thought about things deeper; when Theo his younger brother decided to create his own business Van Gogh was worried because he himself was already taking a risky career path and he felt like a burden to Theo.
Seeing this we can see he has strong intuition.

Reading about his I also had the feeling he had a fear of growing up and was treated like a kid. Something that relates strongly to an INFP

J VS F

He cut out his ear and gave it to his sex worker. Which having a sex worker is something an INFJ will most likely not have. He also always knew how he felt which is a thing INFJs don't really understand. He clearly had Fi and not Fe

He was mentally sick and spent time in an asylum where he created 850 art pieces and his most famous one too. One of the ways The starry night which was his view outside his hospital window adding thins from his imagination. INFP are most likely to have depression and to commit suicide and he always talked about death and drowning. Keep in mind he was able to trick everyone that he committed suicide based on his personality but bases on new studies it shows he was murdered. This shows that committing suicide was not out of character for him.

E vs I
This one is clear but he didn't have many friends and was truly only closed to Theo so he is clearly Introverted.

Sorry I just had to Van Gogh is my favorite artist by the story and it hurts :m042:me that people think he is an ISFP not knowing his true life and feeling in life.
INFP can be painters too bro....anyone can we should focus more on the thinking and point of view of people when typing people.:<3::m045:

Last edited: