[SPOILERS] Is Rick Grimes a Good Leader? | INFJ Forum

[SPOILERS] Is Rick Grimes a Good Leader?

Happy Phantom

Jun 20, 2016
Over the Hills and Far Away
MBTI
INFJ
Several months ago I was asked why I think Rick is the best choice out of everyone to lead the group, so I started writing an essay on the subject. The essay was becoming long and tiresome, as I was actually watching while taking notes, so I decided quoting scripts would be an easier way to break it all down.

If you're a diehard Walking Dead fan I would like to hear your thoughts on this subject. I'll start off with Rick from the season one premiere.

A sheriff’s deputy gets out and takes a gas can and funnel out of the trunk. He walks past the remains of an eighteen wheeler and more wrecked or abandoned cars and down a hill toward the gas station. The empty camp is littered with children’s’ toys, tents and household items. Dead people still sit in some of the cars.

(Flies buzzing)

He looks up. A homemade sign reads No Gas. He looks around for other options.

(Shuffling footsteps)

On hearing the sounds he looks in their direction. He kneels down to look under a car. He sees a child in a pink housecoat and bunny slippers stoop and pick up a teddy bear. He stands up and sees a girl about age eight walking away.

Rick: Little girl? I’m a police man. Little girl. Don’t be afraid, okay? Little girl?

The child turns around. Her eyes are dead. Her mouth is gashed and dried blood has stained her pajamas. The deputy sighs in disappointment and sorrow.

Deputy (panting)

Little Girl Walker (growling)

Slowly she starts shuffling toward him gaining speed as she comes.

Rick: Oh my God.

He backs up and pulls out his weapon and puts a bullet in the head of Little Girl Walker. Rick’s face is pained and sorrowed as he lowers his weapon.

Here we can already see that Rick is good at assessing his current situation and makes the choice to shoot the little girl in the head. He takes control, while still not sure wtf is going on. I'm seeing some great leader potential already! :tongueout:

Tbc...

Last edited:
I read this as Rick James and I feel kind of embarrassed now. I'll see my way out now.
You're welcome to stay, but please keep your dirty azz boots off of my couch.

CEFUY0N.gif

I would post, but it would create another awkward ethical "discussion."

Mainly he is a good leader because he maintains his compassion while making difficult decisions. He has compassion and empathy for even the worst people while not letting it influence his decisions regarding the greater good. You can see Carl learning this and taking it to a whole new superspeed kind of level, eventually probably making him even better than his father.

Mainly he is a good leader because he maintains his compassion while making difficult decisions. He has compassion and empathy for even the worst people while not letting it influence his decisions regarding the greater good. You can see Carl learning this and taking it to a whole new superspeed kind of level, eventually probably making him even better than his father.

I think this is his achilles heel.

I agree with @Wyote . Rick's empathy and his ethics make him the best choice, despite other characters questioning him for these qualities. He has empathy, but he can also be brutal... Which at times is necessary.. the scene that stands out is Rick biting the throat out of that guy who threatened Carl's life.

I haven't really watched in maybe a season or two. I stopped at the season where he led a preemptive strike against that one camp and killed people in their sleep. I also think Glenn would have made a great leader because of his intelligence and empathy.

Herschel was probably the most empathetic and compassionate. He is better in a support role, or advising role to Rick because he wasn't capable of the sort of brutality Rick was capable of to keep the group safe... (Though he actually had a pretty sweet set up before Rick came along sans the zombie party barn..)

Just some random thoughts. Maybe I'll start watching again... Just got to be the same shit over and over and got tired of watching them run into one crazy group of killers after the other.

Last edited:
I do not accept your reply. Now let's get started, shall we? ;P

It's complicated.

I will have to do this later. I don't want to fuck up.

To start with, a good leader doesn't have to save the day all the damn time because his people aren't constantly in danger. A good leader would make for a boring show.

If I am playing around with a giggling baby and decide it would be funny to toss him in a pool, am I a hero if I save him from drowning?

If I am playing around with a giggling baby and decide it would be funny to toss him in a pool, am I a hero if I save him from drowning?

This is a question for Father G.

FzsMZSs.jpg

Also, I am determined to get that photo op for you.

Thank you. :)

Poor Father G is at the bottom of the pecking order, even below a sidekick. Why doesn't someone just put him out of his misery. Seriously.

Reactions: infinite dreams
Poor Father G is at the bottom of the pecking order

I disagree. He is simply in a different class of character. Each member offers a particular needed skill set. He's not a warrior/bersker/paladin. He's a priest.

Reactions: Lurk
I don't really watch The Walking Dead, but I would make the argument that there are probably many other characters that would do what Rick did in the first example.

Of course, there will be others. I'll be paying attention.

I disagree. He is simply in a different class of character. Each member offers a particular needed skill set. He's not a warrior/bersker/paladin. He's a priest.
And a coward.

Cowardice can be beneficial
I'm wouldn't even leave baby H with him. lol
I did promise @Lurk I would get a selfie with Seth Gilliam falling into my arms crying like a baby and I will do my best this October. I think I stand a better chance at his booth rather than professional photo op.

I'm wouldn't even leave baby H with him. lol
I did promise @Lurk I would get a selfie with Seth Gilliam falling into my arms crying like a baby and I will do my best this October. I think I stand a better chance at his booth rather than professional photo op.

:smile:

He's my soulmate.

shelterdog2.jpg