[INFJ] - Is Political Difference A Deal Breaker? | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] Is Political Difference A Deal Breaker?

MrSquared

Mar 6, 2015
MBTI
If two INFJs are talking and getting to know one another. With the intention of potentially being more than just friends. In your eyes, would some or lots of political differences be a Deal Breaker of sorts?

What do you think? Is the Liberal-Conservative gap too great? Not looking to discuss politics here. Just curious if anyone has any insight or personal recommendations based on past experiences.

Thank you!

Absolutely not a deal breaker to me. As long as they were respectful to me and my thoughts while being passionate and knowledgeable enough about the subject I've considered my opposites a fun match in the past.

If two INFJs are talking and getting to know one another. With the intention of potentially being more than just friends. In your eyes, would some or lots of political differences be a Deal Breaker of sorts?

What do you think? Is the Liberal-Conservative gap too great? Not looking to discuss politics here. Just curious if anyone has any insight or personal recommendations based on past experiences.

Thank you!

For me it depends on how wide the gap. I'm very libertarian, so anything too wild on either side bugs me a bit. Of course you're not likely to find many people who can agree with you 100% on everything (let's face it; how boring would that be?) But I would be looking for someone who isn't likely to make discussions of that nature aggravating. We infjs are a passionate people whom I've often found prone to aggravation. And I don't know about you, but when I'm in a relationship, or even a friendship, I don't like feeling like topics are out of bounds. Of course I respect people's opinions and boundaries, but if someone has too many boundaries when it comes to deep conversation, I'll feel very distanced from them.

We had fundamentally different ideas about the relationship between hereditary wealth and access to social facilities, and in retrospect it was too difficult to reconcile, because my belief in the importance of universal healthcare and education to equality is too much a part of who I am.

I abhor polarization and die-hard emotional sports team dedication to any given political party. I'll tolerate it in a friend so long as we don't talk politics, but with partner with whom I expect to share my thoughts and ideas about the world, it would drive me nuts. I prefer someone more politically centered or at least open to seeing the pro's and con's of each side.

Theoretically no.

However, in practice many people who are on the opposite side from me politically also have personal values and beliefs that are in such opposition to my own that I could not be close friends with them let alone romantically involved. So yes, it would most likely be a deal breaker.

We had fundamentally different ideas about the relationship between hereditary wealth and access to social facilities, and in retrospect it was too difficult to reconcile, because my belief in the importance of universal healthcare and education to equality is too much a part of who I am.

I abhor polarization and die-hard emotional sports team dedication to any given political party. I'll tolerate it in a friend so long as we don't talk politics, but with partner with whom I expect to share my thoughts and ideas about the world, it would drive me nuts. I prefer someone more politically centered or at least open to seeing the pro's and con's of each side.

Both these reflect how I think about this. Although, my feelings will develop either way, I think it would be harder to be with someone who has opposing views especially if they are extremist. I'd want someone closer to the middle or someone who can tolerate different perspectives.

It really doesnt matter because after a few years we will get divorced anyways.

It doesn't matter for me, as long as my so respects my stance, and vice versa. Sometimes it's nice for me to have an opposing view with someone who's mind I understand and trust to bounce things back and forth. It's the only debate I can have that doesn't turn into a cutthroat insult session *ahem* and allows me to really see and understand where they are coming from.

As long as they can argue their position well, I don't care. That said, I've never heard a well argued position come from anyone on either extreme.

This be me.

This be me too. I've actually seemed to become increasingly weary over views that are too stubbornly focused on one extreme, without allowing any consideration for different beliefs. Pretty much, just think critically, don't be overly biased, accept that you and your views aren't infallible, and don't get lost in vilifying opposing views so much so that it makes attempting to have any sort of reasonable discussion nearly impossible.

it depends on the views; because 'Liberal' and 'Conservative' encompasses many aspects of life. I am more tolerable with views of guns and economics rather than gender and sexuality.

But honestly a lot of political views are simply values and ideals that are sometimes weaponized. Your view and dreams and hopes for the world in general and your surroundings in specific.

For example, if I were to have a potential relationship with someone who thinks people like me are sinful beings who should repent....
...or if I were to have a potential relationship with someone who thinks my emotional expression are just me being a wussy....

....In what ways is it good?

I wont lie: it would be a deal-breaker for me, but it is not likely to ever be an issue given my situation. As they say, it is easier to be queer in the Republican Party than it is to be a Republican in the queer community. That is a big reason why people like Caitlyn Jenner and Milo Yiannopoulos are almost universally hated by other LGBTQ people.

Reactions: James and sassafras
Yep. The more fundamentally important the issues are to me that we disagree on, the more "NOPE!" I am about the person. Sure, opinions are objective, but when someone holds an opinion different from something that I believe strongly it's equivalent to being expected to be nice while someone burns you alive. I just can't do it. So to avoid being a total dick, I avoid the people I disagree with strongly as a general rule of thumb. I won't be taken alive.

Deal breaker. IF someone really thought about it and came to the conclusion that conservative politics was the way to go...even after debate...I'd loose interest. Morality and intellectual stimulation is needed. Also..honestly, another Infj? I'd miss the extraverted E around. Entp with infj mate

Reactions: cvp12gh5
(Entp is likely to be the most introverted extrovert and Infj is the most extroverted introvert) It can be a match made for life. Married to an entp.

Nope, I have dated , loved and lost very politically minded ladies in the past. Although their political views were varied and interesting, it never once factored in my estimation of them as a partner.

Now, if the question was, '' is a lack of a sense of humour a deal breaker '' then absolutely. Different Political or Religious outlooks I can take in my stride, but I really struggle with people who don't have a sense of humour.

However, it's not so I'll leave it there.

Politics has never and never will factor in to my choice of partner.

Deal breaker. IF someone really thought about it and came to the conclusion that conservative politics was the way to go...even after debate...I'd loose interest. Morality and intellectual stimulation is needed. Also..honestly, another Infj? I'd miss the extraverted E around. Entp with infj mate

I have a close relative who's an ENTP and she and I do get along well. But I'm not closing the door on any potential match (until proven otherwise). Also, it would have to be the right INFJ from a similar background. Some divides are too great.

Now, if the question was, '' is a lack of a sense of humour a deal breaker '' then absolutely. Different Political or Religious outlooks I can take in my stride, but I really struggle with people who don't have a sense of humour

Me thinks you hit the nail right on the head here. Also potential differences in desire to discuss plays a role.

Reactions: WonkyOracle
We will see how the next 4 years (in the US) go. If the Republicans eviscerate healthcare, I'll never stop sarcastically thanking my family for voting for them. They may disown me.