Is MBTI influenced by heredity? | INFJ Forum

Is MBTI influenced by heredity?

INFJs only: What MBTI type(s) are your children?

• INFJ

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • INFP

• INTJ

• INTP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ENFJ

• ENFP

• ENTJ

• ENTP

• ISFJ

• ISFP

• ISTJ

• ISTP

• ESFJ

• ESFP

• ESTJ

• ESTP

• Not sure, but definitely an I

• Not sure, but definitely an N

• Not sure, but definitely an F

• Not sure, but definitely a J

• Total voters

worthy

Community Member
Feb 4, 2019
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
I'm asking because I've been thinking a lot about the types of people close to me.

I'm an INFJ. My kids' dad is an INTP.

My kids are (in order): INTJ, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ. At least that's what we all think they are. The INFP thinks he may be an INFJ, but the P/JJJ dynamic in the house has been pretty clear to me throughout their lives. (And as an INFJ, I'm pretty darn good at noticing such things.) The INTJ also thinks he is an INFJ, but I am absolutely sure he's a T with a well-developed F. I think the youngest is definitely an INFJ.

Regardless of how it happened, I feel super lucky that we all have such compatible types. We understand each other and get along well. There's lots of deep conversation happening in our house.

My dad is an INTJ. I'm not sure about my mom, but I think she may be an ISFP.

What are the odds? These are all fairly rare types, which is why I am thinking it must be more than just chance. Does it often happen that family members have identical, compatible, or similar types?

I think two introverts will likely have an introvert but not always. Not really sure on the other functions and don’t have much data on it, so let’s make some...

My parents are INTJ dad and ISFP mom. Spit out an INTJ girl and INTP dude

Yeah my sister and I are similar but very different

There is little to no emotion and communication between the INTx family members. That always felt normal to me. Makes me feel a little bad now for my mom because no one really has the need for feelings as much and she probably really needed more of it

Hmm, well in my case I am an (emotionally sensitive) INTJ, raised solely by an ESFJ mum after the age of c.5. My dad was an (emotionally sensitive) INTJ most probably.

So from that perspective, you might be able to say that the developmental influence is ruled out, or equally you could say that since my father was in my life before the age of 5, it is not.

I experienced him mostly as the muse of my curiosity, because he was my superhero and knew everything there was to know. He could answer questions that would stump my mum or otherwise get me to think about things in ways that she could not. As a child I was just CURIOUS.

So I'm not sure if type is hereditary or completely developmental. There seems definitely to be an element of both.