Is it possible...?

DaynaSkully

Regular Poster
May 24, 2014
MBTI
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I'm supposed to be an INTJ. I might have this sort of wit. I can be blunt. However, I feel more like an INFJ, even though the functions say the contrary.

Is it possible when you're an INTJ...

to be not so rude, because you actually care about others' feelings, and don't want to go too far (even hesitating because it could be funny at times, but you end up not doing it)?

to hurt easily? To take harsh words personally?

to be more artistic and creative (a lot)?

to care about social justice more than puzzles (even if enjoying them)?

And if you're an INFJ...

to look cold, not warm, and aloof to others?

to show mostly no emotion (negative ones), whatever you feel inside?

I should say I feel like beng both, I feel more like being neither in the end.

Yes, my T and F scores are extremely close as well. The others are far and away without a doubt.

Do not know. The first time I took the test I came out as an INFj. Subsequent tests have said INTJ.

If you are an INXJ then you can have a developed F or T secondary function depending if you were either F or T to start with. This could lead to what you are talking about, meaning characteristics of both. The question is, which were you initially and which was secondary. Were you initially very caring, and developed a logical nature? Or were you extremely logical, and then developed a very caring nature. Such a change could be gradual or sudden depending on the severity of the cause of the change and the type of change. It could also be subtle or obvious. Without more information I cannot make any determination of that about you. I am a high percentage of INFJ, however I can kind of "switch off" the caring if I wanted to and go to complete, cold logic, even sometimes as a defense.
Basically you could literally have both, it just depends on how your secondary has developed.
This is just me speaking from what I know, I am in no way a professional in this topic. Hopefully this was helpful :)

INFJ and INTJ actually come across very similar because their dominant and inferior functions (Ni + Se) are the same. INFJs most definitely can come across as rather aloof, yet warm. They're not very gushy or openly expressive people. They have a more 'composed' air than other feeling types.

Ni+Te makes someone more of a linear, sequential thinker. Are you naturally good at organizing and prioritizing your thoughts and tasks for utmost efficiency? Do you know exactly what a project requires without having to consciously slow down to break down the steps on paper--you just automatically do it? How quick are you at identifying a problem or strategy? Does it drive you crazy when people skip steps or spend too much time sitting on a problem? Do you find yourself making a whole bunch of decisions on the spot and executing them one after the other without needing to weigh the pros and cons? How good are you at explaining things on the spot? Do you see everything in terms of choice/opportunity cost?

Ni+Fe makes someone more of a holistic thinker. Do you tend to have a quick understanding of a concept but tend to have difficulty breaking down just why it makes sense to you? Do you tend to steer yourself by impression and intuition of things? Are you immediately able to see all sides of an issue and have trouble deciding on a singular course of action because you naturally see the validity in multiple perspectives? Are you naturally good at assessing other people's needs and getting everyone on the same page? Do you immediately pick up on the atmosphere of the room that you walk into? Do you know exactly when to say to someone or how to solve their problem and strive to do so in a diplomatic way? Are you better at determining what other people's needs are or are able to solve issues outside your personal sphere than you are capable of solving your own problems? Are you able to identify the motivation behind a strategy quicker than you are able to identify the actual strategy?

Last edited:
If you are an INXJ then you can have a developed F or T secondary function depending if you were either F or T to start with. This could lead to what you are talking about, meaning characteristics of both. The question is, which were you initially and which was secondary. Were you initially very caring, and developed a logical nature? Or were you extremely logical, and then developed a very caring nature. Such a change could be gradual or sudden depending on the severity of the cause of the change and the type of change. It could also be subtle or obvious. Without more information I cannot make any determination of that about you. I am a high percentage of INFJ, however I can kind of "switch off" the caring if I wanted to and go to complete, cold logic, even sometimes as a defense.
Basically you could literally have both, it just depends on how your secondary has developed.
This is just me speaking from what I know, I am in no way a professional in this topic. Hopefully this was helpful :)

That is difficult to tell. I was like that early. I lived difficult things early. And like I have a high Ni, and a high introversion, it was very much inside, whatever. It's difficult to guess from how I was when I was 5. I know I was blunt. But I also cared a lot for the bullies.

INFJ and INTJ actually come across very similar because their dominant and inferior functions (Ni + Se) are the same. INFJs most definitely can come across as rather aloof, yet warm. They're not very gushy or openly expressive people. They have a more 'composed' air than other feeling types.

Ni+Te makes someone more of a linear, sequential thinker. Are you naturally good at organizing and prioritizing your thoughts and tasks for utmost efficiency? Do you know exactly what a project requires without having to consciously slow down to break down the steps on paper--you just automatically do it? How quick are you at identifying a problem or strategy? Does it drive you crazy when people skip steps or spend too much time sitting on a problem? Do you find yourself making a whole bunch of decisions on the spot and executing them one after the other without needing to weigh the pros and cons? How good are you at explaining things on the spot? Do you see everything in terms of choice/opportunity cost?

Ni+Fe makes someone more of a holistic thinker. Do you tend to have a quick understanding of a concept but tend to have difficulty breaking down just why it makes sense to you? Do you tend to steer yourself by impression and intuition of things? Are you immediately able to see all sides of an issue and have trouble deciding on a singular course of action because you naturally see the validity in multiple perspectives? Are you naturally good at assessing other people's needs and getting everyone on the same page? Do you immediately pick up on the atmosphere of the room that you walk into? Do you know exactly when to say to someone or how to solve their problem and strive to do so in a diplomatic way? Are you better at determining what other people's needs are or are able to solve issues outside your personal sphere than you are capable of solving your own problems? Are you able to identify the motivation behind a strategy quicker than you are able to identify the actual strategy?

Clearly more the second. In very internal.

That is difficult to tell. I was like that early. I lived difficult things early. And like I have a high Ni, and a high introversion, it was very much inside, whatever. It's difficult to guess from how I was when I was 5. I know I was blunt. But I also cared a lot for the bullies.

Yes it is very difficult to remember the past like that. I'm only 19 and I can barely remember, lol ;). Let me ask you this (for it is what happened to me). Did you care about the bullies when they were bullying you or did you, after looking back on the situation (like you would today), come to care for them and the future they might be subjected to?

And if you can't figure it out from remembering the past, it might be possible by looking at yourself today. Now what I'm about to say is my own personal perspective on personality, I have no idea if it is classified or accepted in the Jung typology. Looking at yourself today, what do you do in extreme cases. Consider a case where someone you love very much were being attacked (you should imagine this to the point that it invokes an emotional reaction, make it as vivid as you possibly can. *possible cause, could be an animal or a bad person beating them up *), what would your very first reaction be? Now it is critical in this to mean the very first reaction, the one that most people gloss over. Do you feel a sudden burst of emotion (anger or fear or dread etc.) and a need stop them, or do you first feel an immediate need to look for a way to help them (ranging from joining the fight to calling for help). There is a fine difference here because it is likely both of these are experienced in such a case, however which comes first I think hints at your core personality. It is critical to be completely 100% honest with yourself here. Such a state can be difficult to reach. If it is the emotional reaction very first, then that would imply that you are an INFJ, but if you look more for the practicality of the situation at first, then you would be an INTJ.
Basically the idea is to find that which you most innately fall back on. The difference here is miniscule and can easily be missed for many reasons, so it is ok if you are not sure which you would experience first.

No, I cared about the one bullied right away.
First reaction is anger. But I usually can control it in order to think about something.
No problem with being honest to myself. I just have trouble to tell others.
Thank you. I see it with another perspective.

No, I cared about the one bullied right away.
First reaction is anger. But I usually can control it in order to think about something.
No problem with being honest to myself. I just have trouble to tell others.
Thank you. I see it with another perspective.
Sounds to me like you're an INFJ with a well developed Te secondary. Same as I consider myself :)
Happy to help, and welcome to the forum.

Sounds to me like you're an INFJ with a well developed Te secondary. Same as I consider myself :)
Happy to help, and welcome to the forum.

Uhhh. That does not even exist.

If you are an INFJ, your extroverted judging function is Fe. Your introverted judging function, therefore, is Ti and serves as the tertiary support. With their powers combined, they fulfill the duty of Te, but with a holistic 'big picture' slant first and foremost, and thus, not actual 'Te' but Fe + Ti

INFJ would only have Te if you're following Beebee's eight function model, in either which case, Te would not be secondary for INFJ, but rather seventh and thus deeply unconscious.

Uhhh. That does not even exist.

If you are an INFJ, your extroverted judging function is Fe. Your introverted judging function, therefore, is Ti and serves as the tertiary support. With their powers combined, they fulfill the duty of Te, but with a holistic 'big picture' slant first and foremost, and thus, not actual 'Te' but Fe + Ti

INFJ would only have Te if you're following Beebee's eight function model, in either which case, Te would not be secondary for INFJ, but rather seventh and thus deeply unconscious.
I don't know the fancy way of saying it like you do. I have not studied it to the extent it sounds like you know. Although I do hope to later in college :).
I said secondary only to mean it is not primary. The effect of thinking is there, but is not the primary cognitive function. I sadly do not know at all how the side functions all interact, so you can explain that please. However, from what it sounded like when she answered, the F function is primary, not T. Agreeable? Like I said, I don't know if that's a thing in the Jung typology, it was my own interpretation (being an interpretation of a beginner), but just trying to help find the core trait :)

That's ok, I got it the first time :p I thought more a well-developed Ti.

Big Ni, a bit shadowing the rest, Fe but not necessarily showing, developed Ti, would still make INFJ.

I've heard a couple of generalisations online re these types

One is that INFJ's are hard on the outside, soft on the inside, whilst INTJ's are hard on the outside, hard on the inside

Another one is that INTJ's are most concerned with competency whilst INFJ's are more concerned with truth

In my experience i'd say there is some truths to these generalisations

Thanks for helping. For all I've read here, I would be an INFJ, but neatly. So I had to think about it, why I score more often as an INTJ (these past months that is). And I say it depends on how the questions are asked, too.

For instance, I care about people, I empathize with them, but I don't necessarily participate, so all that is "participate actively" "showing emotions" etc..., I pass on the T side. And that question: do you value justice more than mercy? Well asked that way, yes. But it feels like that question was made by a thinker. Justice is very important for NFs actually. I would have made the question like that: do you value justice more than compassion? I go to the F side then.

I noticed the days I'm irritated, I'm going to score INTJ more easily. The more I feel "not well", the higher the T. If I'm ok, myself, more F. Conclusion, I'm angry lol

I think you have to set aside any idea about what you'd like to be

A lot of people when they are kids want to be astronauts because its a nice idea...the realities might be somewhat different

A lot of people are in love with the idea of the INFJ type because of it's mystique and its associations with positive causes

So we can end up with two realities. There can be the idea in our head which we like the thought of and then there is reality

When people go with the idea in their head rather than the reality and lose out as a result of it, economists call this: ''wishful non thinking''

In an ideal world we would always manage to align the idea of reality with reality but a lot of the time we don't and we end up dissapointed or shocked etc. We fool ourselves all the time with false perceptions leading to dissapointement...it's common, i'm sure we've all done it; if you want to see a painful expression of this watch the preliminaries of the Xfactor where people who think they can sing are humiliated in public when they are laughed at for their poor performance and learn in a most disgusting way what their friends and families should have already told them ie that they can't sing in tune (i don't watch the programme but obviously have checked it out...i think its exploitative BS)

I think the thing with MBTI is to do tests and answer the questions honestly (not employing wishful non thinking about the person we wish we were, but rather the person we actually are) and then we will likely get honest results

The first time i took a test i knew nothing about types so i wasn't able to try and project any idea of my ideal onto the test...i just answered the questions honestly and got 'INFJ'

However some people inform themselves about types and then take the tests whilst thinking about what they want the outcome to be; they will end up shortchanging themself this way

I'm always amazed how many people seem to question if they are an INFJ or not. Without wanting to draw fire from the INFJ haters who love to play the whole 'so you think your 'special'' card, i would say that in my opinion if you are an INFJ YOU WILL KNOW ABOUT IT

You will know about it before you take any daft test

This is not to say 'yay INFJ's are great or 'special''....that's not what i'm saying. What i'm saying is that you will be aware of being different and not always in a good way. It will be in a way that causes you pain and yet a way that you value so much you wouldn't give it up if given the chance even despite the troubles it causes you

If you don't know what i'm talking about you are likely not an INFJ

Oh and to any INFJ haters out there reading this...i hope you choke on your spite before you get to spew it (take it out on the real bad guys)

Last edited:
I very much know what you're talking about... why I'm so alone. I'm unrealistic about my goals, I've been told that. Be normal (like us, that means). But I love my unrealistic goals, because sometimes, it works.

But you're right, I probably wished I was an INTJ. Because tough/tough and not tough/soft. I don't hate INFJs, I think I just don't want to be one because of that. But it doesn't make it different. Being tough outside doesn't make you tough inside. I know that. People don't. I'm going to have to accept a few (more) painful things.

I'm always amazed how many people seem to question if they are an INFJ or not. Without wanting to draw fire from the INFJ haters who love to play the whole 'so you think your 'special'' card, i would say that in my opinion if you are an INFJ YOU WILL KNOW ABOUT IT

You will know about it before you take any daft test

This is not to say 'yay INFJ's are great or 'special''....that's not what i'm saying. What i'm aying is that you will be aware of being different and not always in a good way. It will be in a way that causes you pain and yet a way that you value so much you wouldn't give it up if given the chance even despite the troubles it causes you

If you don't know what i'm talking about you are likely not an INFJ

I feel the same way about this. I always wonder how people can be so unsure about they're type. I also took the Myers-Briggs test without having read any descriptions and it came back INFJ. When I read the description I was stunned. It was like, holy crap!, how can anybody know that much about me and not know me? Even the people that know me best wouldn't be able to describe me anything like the INFJ but that's what I am like on the inside and that's how I relate to the world. It was the first time I thought that maybe there were some people similar to me out there. And I've never understood why people want to be INFJ if they're not. It's not an easy personality type so if you're something else embrace it because being an INFJ is not about living in a magical world of uniqueness but more having to deal with a very complex personality in a world where people want things to be easily labelled and understood.

Reactions: muir