Oct 7, 2009
Florida man
MBTI
wiblywobly
Enneagram
timeywimey
Is coercion wrong?

Be more specific. Give an example.

Not all things are to be stamped good/bad. Consider the context.

Be more specific. Give an example.

Not all things are to be stamped good/bad. Consider the context.

Well I wanted to leave the question open so that people could give it a context of their own unfortunatley that also lead to answers like this

Sometimes.

which leads to the next point general questions generaly lead to general responces.

so i'll try give it a few starting places

Law

politics

Religion

Education

Foreign Policy

I tend to opt out of coercion altogether. Not that is obviously and unequivocably wrong...it just doesn't work.

I tend to opt out of coercion altogether. Not that is obviously and unequivocably wrong...it just doesn't work.

The problem is that coercion does work - using wrong means.

Using force, intimidation, fear, constraint, etc to get someone to do something they don't want to seems an abuse against a person's free will.

However, convincing or persuading by offering incentives, so that one freely chooses to do something seems to respect a person's freedom of will.

This can also go too far by extending into trickery and manipulation, which while respecting a person's freedom of will, does not respect a person's intellect or trust.

The problem is that coercion does work - using wrong means.

Using force, intimidation, fear, constraint, etc to get someone to do something they don't want to seems an abuse against a person's free will.

However, convincing or persuading by offering incentives, so that one freely chooses to do something seems to respect a person's freedom of will.

This can also go too far by extending into trickery and manipulation, which while respecting a person's freedom of will, does not respect a person's intellect or trust.

I agree completely. I suppose my rejection of coersion is based on that is does not tend to work long-term and can carry more negatives than positives, negatives that will eventually raise their heads over time.

I'm thinking of drug interventions as being a form of coercion that I wouldn't say is wrong.

Yes.

I'm thinking of drug interventions as being a form of coercion that I wouldn't say is wrong.

I would agree with this, It also makes me think about laws and laws enforcement.

We use the idea of prison to coerce others into not breaking laws.