irl, how do you interacts with different types of people? | INFJ Forum

irl, how do you interacts with different types of people?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
irl, how do you interact with different types of people?

a) How are you around people are very similar to you? Do you feel more or less comfortable? Or do you find that it creates conflict?

b) How are you around people who are very different from you? Do you feel comfortable - very interested, neutral, or annoyed?

Last edited:
a) How are you around people are very similar to you? Do you feel more or less comfortable? Or do you find that it creates conflict?

I've never met anyone who's that similar to me.
I might have, but then again, I hide some parts of myself IRL so my twin would do it too ;D

b) How are you around people who are very different from you? Do you feel comfortable - very interested, neutral, or annoyed?

Depends in what a way they're different.
I remember a guy once saying:
X, we're so alike.
And I asked: Yeah? How?
And he concluded we were actually total opposites :p
I liked him though.

i work in a purely ES environment. i will not find any introverted type working there for very long before i get to know them, before they quit

annoyed! to no end, which is why i reduced my working days down to 1day/wk...
i almost cannot stand to be scrutinized and conclusions made up before they even say hello. friggin' sucks working in fast foods (i'm a cashier), dealin' with all kinds of grumpy people, low blood sugar or somethin'... seriously
i served my country for 9 yrs and all i get is "what high school are you in?"
grrrr...
besides, people do not understand how burnt out i am of meeting people... burnt out!

lol, a rant for another day.......

I'd say most are not similar to me at all; Having been yanked loose of my last attempt at putting down roots (by work) I know almost no one except co-workers, and many of them are completely different than me. Some I'm friendly with and with some we basically don't even acknowledge each other (out of mutual discomfort, I assume.)

Depends... there's so many ways to be different. My variations trend toward:

• Complete Strangers: Not Solicitous, but Openly Friendly
  • People I know just enough to know I don't have anything in common with: Virtual noncommunication.
  • People I know just enough about to know we have mutual interests: Curiosity but nervous about scaring them away, trending toward noncommunication.
  • People I know very well who have differing interests/views: On-and-off joviality with the occasional debate
  • People whom I know very well and have some mutual interests: Open, talkative, adventurous and boisterous.

Last edited:

I mean, it's nice in some ways because maybe there's a chance you can connect with them on some level, if both are interested in interacting. There maybe a sense of mutual understanding in some cases, which could make interacting less uncomfortable. But sometimes similarities can create friction.

When i'm around people who are usually quite different, i usually feel a pull or push to adapt, so it's usually uncomfortable unless we know each other pretty well, in which case i don't have to construct a comfortable persona or try to be overly social.

Edit: i think it depends on the mood. Sometimes, it's nice to be around someone who's very different. I think the issue is more if the person allows me to feel comfortable around them without having to twist myself into uncomfortable shapes.

Last edited:

I know one girl in particular that is very much like me, but that causes us not to create a real connection because we're both so shy and naturally uncomfortable lol. I can't make her feel at ease because her uncomfortablenss makes me only more uncomfortable.

Depends on that person I guess. I shut off completely with people that are overly social. The same with people that are overly shy. I tend to feel most comfortable with neutral people I guess, the ones of whom you get the sense that don't judge anyone. They are rare though.

I don't know. I get a long with people who can be similar to me but at the same time I get bored with people who are too much like me. There is nothing to learn from somebody who is like me but then again I have never met anybody really like me and have only met people who might share a small part of what I am.

I think opposites to a certain degree do attract in this case. I like being around people who are more social than I and will intiate conversation and/or do the whole party, social thing but not to the extremes. People who can't at least connect with me at some level fade away rather quickly in my mind.

I haven't met many people that similar to me, but I have found that the very few people who are, end up being my closest friends. My two best guy friends are an Infj and Enfj and my best gal friend is an Infp. I think that is because i feel i can let my guard down around them, I am more comfortable with people who are very similar to me. With my infj and infp friend, it can sometimes feel like telepathy is going on in our moments of silence, and that can get weird sometimes, when i am trying to hide something

I would say a combination of all 4. It all depends on their behavior towards me to be honest. I can't stand it when people try to force me to talk in front of a large group of people, or interrupt my thinking/reading time with mindless chatter, but occasionally, I have those days when I need mindless distractions from life, so I will usually hang out with my friend who is an istp, because she's a ton of fun to hang with, and i don't have to worry about her being TOO perceptive and trying to figure out what's wrong with me, when I am trying to ignore the fact that there is.

I get on with them pretty well. I have a friend who's very similar to me which helps us both relate to each other really well. Especially in nasty situations where most ppl scratch their heads and shrug at us with a 'sorry, I don't know what to say'

Depends on the person. I get on fine with most people but when I meet somebody who is as nosy as I am private, loud as I am quiet, excitable as I am calm... Then I tend to have a problem.

Last edited:
Similar? Haven't found many who are quite like me. I find that my strong empathy usually isn't a shared trait.

Others who are different? That depends on whether I want to interact with them or not. I tend to come across aloof because I really don't care to meet others or care what they think about me. It can be kinda obnoxious seeming but I mean no harm, it is just true indifference. Until I started looking at INTJ forums, I didn't realize it is a common seeming trait.

to echo the other posts I haven't met many people that are similar to me, that are interested in the things I am and express themselves in the same way. i imagine if i did it would be a either disturbing, because we could read each other so well, or wonderful and refreshing, basically for the same reason.

this i'm more used to ^^ it's good, because I like experiencing how other people think, I love trying to understand their point of view. it often makes me laugh, because I come to realization that human beings, in all their complexities and disturbances, are alike in a hell of a lot of important ways.

a) i like them and we get along.

b) they like me, i hope. we're usually able to get along.