Iris is the window to the soul

acd

Jan 11, 2009
fantasy world
MBTI
infp
Enneagram
9w8 sp/sx
I found this dated article on iris type and personality... because I was looking something up about having a ring of yellow in my irides (long story short, I have too much time on my hands and was wondering if it indicated I had some sort of disease...lol)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6375381.stm
How irises 'reveal personalities'
It may be possible to read a person's personality through their eyes, Swedish researchers have said.
They have detected patterns which show warm-heartedness and trust or neuroticism and impulsiveness.

The team from Orebro University read pits and lines in the irises of 428 people. Experts said the study in Biological Psychology showed that at least some aspects of personality were determined by genetics.
Close-up pictures were taken of the study participants' irises, and they also filled out a questionnaire about their personalities.

The researchers looked at crypts (pits) and contraction furrows (lines curving around the outer edge of the iris), which are formed when pupils dilate.
It was found that those with more crypts were likely to be tender, warm and trusting, while those with more furrows were more likely to be neurotic, impulsive and give in to cravings.
'Trajectories'
The researchers suggest that a neurodevelopmental gene called PAX6 could also play a major role.
It is known to help control the development of the iris in an embryo.
Previous research has also shown that a mutation of PAX6 is linked to impulsiveness and poor social skills.
The team, led by Dr Matt Larsson a behavioural scientist, said: "These findings support the notion that people with different iris configurations tend to develop along different trajectories in regards to personality.
"Differences in the iris can be used as a biomarker that reflects differences between people."
Dr George Fieldman, principal lecturer in psychology at Buckinghamshire Chilterns University College, said: "This is very interesting. It shows that some aspects of personality have a genetic base and to identify them in the eye in this fascinating way is significant.
"It is surprising that this is possible. But it seems that the old aphorism that 'the eyes are the window to the soul' has some genetic basis."
He said it opened up the possibility that security services could one day use the technique to analyse people.
Airports, including Heathrow, Manchester and Gatwick are already testing iris scanning to identify people - but are not to check personality traits. But Dr Fieldman added: "Security services would have to use such technologies with some caution. You would not want to arrest somebody on the basis of their iris."
Anyway. It's interesting. I never paid attention to eyes before, but I guess there exists a folk-theory of personality type in iridology. Not sure how seriously you'd want to take that...But I'm posting a link to that just for fun.. Ifyou click on the iridology link you can self-identify your type. Then go to this link and see what kind of ring you have around your iris and what that means.

I guess I'd be a 'shaker' type iris and a 'ring of purpose' type ring around the iris...

Last edited:
That's pretty interesting, although somehow scary, that 'security forces' might use this information against people. Why not use it for something more pleasant, like as a guide to gift buying. E.g. there's a sweet and fluffy irised person. let's give them a cuddly toy, or those are the eyes of a cold hearted asshat, let's give them a pair of stainless steel socks.

Last edited:
This was an interesting little experiment.
I have dark eyes so that made it hard for me to tell,
so I had my kids compare my eyes to those in the photos.
Apparently, I have a stream type iris with a ring of freedom.
The descriptions actually seemed to fit pretty well. Neat. :)

Pax6 sounds like it would make an amazing action movie.

in a world where wars are fought between the crypts and the furrows, a futuristic crypts vs. bloods battle, the only one to decide what is what, is the Pax6. A team of 6 narcissistic sexy estps with enough brains to decide that all they've ever wanted to do in life is kill stuff. and thats what they are going to do do.

rated pg

Yeah.. I thought shaker made sense to me. Mostly the part about not knowing how to relax and being impatient and persistent.. The only thing is that I'm not an ethical know-it-all and I don't give my supervisors any problem--I don't mind not being in charge.

The ring of purpose part is very resonant though:
The challenges of this ring are best overcome by finding your purpose and connecting with its expression in world around you.
My boyfriend has the jewel type with rings of freedom and the descriptions do resemble him a bit.

Last edited:
Pax6 sounds like it would make an amazing action movie.

in a world where wars are fought between the crypts and the furrows, a futuristic crypts vs. bloods battle, the only one to decide what is what, is the Pax6. A team of 6 narcissistic sexy estps with enough brains to decide that all they've ever wanted to do in life is kill stuff. and thats what they are going to do do.

rated pg
FUND IT!

more info on crypts and furrows

Last edited:
very interesting but I have no idea what type my eye is. It doesn't look like any of the eyes displayed

oog1bewerktklein.jpg

any idea's? :D

It looks like a shaker eye.. a mix of flower and jewel type.
Can't tell the outside line though.
It's not a very clear picture, so I could be wrong.

Me next.

If you click on the links at the bottom of the OP you can see for yourselves.
Looks Shaker to me.
And ring of harmony around the iris.
Ok iridology is bullshit. I know you and these descriptions are so not you.

You called almost everybody shaker.

Interesting article, I never knew that iris structures were different. I see a flower in each of my eyes and a couple of orange jewels.