Intuitives need not apply | INFJ Forum

Intuitives need not apply

Lerxst

Jul 3, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Most of the jobs I've seen in my year-plus search should have this written in big, bright, bold, neon colors above the job description. Seven years of experience here, four years there, and another five years doing this, none of which actually shows a person is competent enough to do the job however.

I can walk into a work environment and within the first two months there see everything they do wrong, ways they can do it all better and the process they can even use to go about changing it all. You would think, "Hey, you should be a Business Analyst!" Now go look up job requirements for a Business Analyst and make sure you're sitting.

The job market, especially in that field, is a total "Sensor Heaven". Analyze, quantify, calculate... etc. etc. etc. Whether or not you may be skilled at doing, seeing and judging the job that needs to get done is irrelevant. Employers only seem to care about the "hard data" you can put on a resume, nothing about how good you actually are at doing the work.

I don't agree, as an intuitive, I love working working with data. I don't think that's a "sensor heaven", but it might not be a NF heaven.

I don't agree, as an intuitive, I love working working with data. I don't think that's a "sensor heaven", but it might not be a NF heaven.

So you actually like going from steps A, B, C all the way through so you can get to Z, even when you know the second you look at it, the result will be Z?

So you actually like going from steps A, B, C all the way through so you can get to Z, even when you know the second you look at it, the result will be Z?

I enjoy analyzing, quantifying, organizing, categorizing information. I don't have any particular positive feelings on step-to-step work, but it's useful in presenting information. Afterall, you want your work to be straight forward, understandable, and useful. I don't like guessing, I like to be sure what I'm doing is right, and there's no sense in expecting others to be able to infer exactly what you mean just by giving them the end result, which may not true, but with a more careful and laid out process, it's easier to revise and spot mistakes. So, yeah, I have an appreciation for it.

Reactions: invisible
You've just described an ISTJ almost word for word with that post... hrmmmm...

You've just described an ISTJ almost word for word with that post... hrmmmm...

I think the way you see Sensing overlaps quite a bit with Thinking. ;)

Most of the jobs I've seen in my year-plus search should have this written in big, bright, bold, neon colors above the job description. Seven years of experience here, four years there, and another five years doing this, none of which actually shows a person is competent enough to do the job however.

I can walk into a work environment and within the first two months there see everything they do wrong, ways they can do it all better and the process they can even use to go about changing it all. You would think, "Hey, you should be a Business Analyst!" Now go look up job requirements for a Business Analyst and make sure you're sitting.

The job market, especially in that field, is a total "Sensor Heaven". Analyze, quantify, calculate... etc. etc. etc. Whether or not you may be skilled at doing, seeing and judging the job that needs to get done is irrelevant. Employers only seem to care about the "hard data" you can put on a resume, nothing about how good you actually are at doing the work.

Sensors are supposedly less likely to get bored at a job where you essentially use the same skills everyday. They're perfectly happy applying the skills, on a daily basis, they've polished in their time on the job. This makes the vast majority of work "Sensor jobs."
My last job was awful, after the first few months. I was bored out of my mind. To think that at most jobs you end up in endless cycles of repetition, and that some people like staying with a single company over long periods of time (though it's less common than it used to be), it makes me not very excited for the rest of my work life. I just need to find something... cool.

I think the way you see Sensing overlaps quite a bit with Thinking. ;)

Or it could be that your Thinking overlaps quite a bit with Sensing? I'm a borderline INTJ on my bad days (or under stress to get a job done) but never dive into this lifestyle of categorizing and organizing facts and figures to come up with a conclusion; it's always still "just there". :p

Reactions: Blind Bandit
Or it could be that your Thinking overlaps quite a bit with Sensing? I'm a borderline INTJ on my bad days (or under stress to get a job done) but never dive into this lifestyle of categorizing and organizing facts and figures to come up with a conclusion; it's always still "just there". :p

I find that a lot of the functions overlap with each other at points.

Most of the jobs I've seen in my year-plus search should have this written in big, bright, bold, neon colors above the job description. Seven years of experience here, four years there, and another five years doing this, none of which actually shows a person is competent enough to do the job however. ...

How do you propose employers gather proof of someone's competence if not by looking at work experience and "hard data"?

How do you propose employers gather proof of someone's competence if not by looking at work experience and "hard data"?

It's called the "interview" which most of them don't seem to even bother with. Or... they actually *gasp* have intuitive people working for them that can dissect an application and read between the lines.

Isn't this the purpose of a the cover letter which should accompany your resume?

Isn't this the purpose of a the cover letter which should accompany your resume?

You'd be amazed at how many times they don't read the cover letter... Times I would have to change the info in the letter a bit from the resume like a better phone number to reach me at directly, yet they still call the number listed on my resume. Or questions they ask during the interview that I covered in depth on my cover letter.

It's called the "interview" which most of them don't seem to even bother with. Or... they actually *gasp* have intuitive people working for them that can dissect an application and read between the lines.

interview this!

tumblr_lvo8je3QIc1qhtjfto2_250.gif

Reactions: bickelz
interview this!

tumblr_lvo8je3QIc1qhtjfto2_250.gif

I would SO interview that!

But yeah, they don't even bother reading cover letters anymore. My college resume class told us that oftentimes they throw OUT resumes with cover letters nowadays, so it's better not to even have one. The person with the most experience gets the job (unless they go in to turn in their resume and are tall, blonde, thin and buxom.) That's why a lot of resumes are submitted online only nowadays, they don't want to have their opinions skewed in any way, either going in or having a cover letter.

I'm just glad I can be a meager sensor and not cry about how much smarter I am than everyone else.

Reactions: Matt3737
I'm just glad I can be a meager sensor and not cry about how much smarter I am than everyone else.

I honestly don't see what the big deal is. People need to start getting over their N fixation. I wouldn't mind being an ISFJ. I've considered it, but I'm not sure it's the best fit.

So, uhh... how do you know you're a Sensor?

Last edited:
I honestly don't see what the big deal is. People need to start getting over their N fixation. I wouldn't mind being an ISFJ. I've considered it, but I'm not sure it's the best fit.

So, uhh... how do you know you're a Sensor?
I just know it... intuitively. Also [MENTION=3096]Stormy1[/MENTION] sensed it.

One of the things about becoming a professional is that you learn to do what needs to be done even if that means transcending the limitations of your personality. I'm an INTP and my P-ness is huge, yet I learned, as an engineer, to plan projects just as effectively as the strongest J. Jobs are about getting the work done effectively and efficiently, not personality preferences.

Reactions: Gaze
One of the things about becoming a professional is that you learn to do what needs to be done even if that means transcending the limitations of your personality. I'm an INTP and my P-ness is huge, yet I learned, as an engineer, to plan projects just as effectively as the strongest J. Jobs are about getting the work done effectively and efficiently, not personality preferences.

But... the professionals who make the biggest differences in their fields are the ones who don't deny who and what they are. History's full of their examples!