Intuition is wrong? | INFJ Forum

Intuition is wrong?

CoffeeShopDiva

Community Member
Jan 18, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
I thought he was the one. I didn't tell him this, of course, but, for the first time in my life I actually believed it was true. He was so comfortable, compatible, attractive.

And now he's gone. But, I'm usually not wrong with guys. I usually know why we will end before we even start. Where did my intuition go wrong?

Have you ever had this kind of gut feeling about someone? Were you right in the end?

Intuition is not a prediction of the future. It is a suggestion as to a posssibility. Nothing more.

Please don't expect your intuition to always be right. It will only lead to misunderstandings and disapointment

Some would say that there is no such thing as intuition. The thing we humans call "intuition" is really our minds working at their most secretive level, processing information more quickly than-- and completely unbeknownst to-- our conscious minds.

However, this relates only indirectly to the topic at hand. Any judgment I could make about what happened between you and this guy would depend on how it ended, which is information I don't have (and it's completely your right to keep it private). However, I do know that sometimes our subconscious, as smart and quick as it is, can fail us occasionally. And usually, when it fails us, it's because we wanted something to be true so badly that we convinced ourselves, conscious, subconscious and all, that it was true.

Another possiblility is that your "intuition" was correct. Maybe he was just as good for you as you thought. Just because a relationship ends does not mean it was not worthwhile; further more, who says it's fully over? (Again, I don't know all the information.)

And to answer your direct question: I have yet to experience that "gut" feeling that someone is innately good for me. There were a couple times I thought I did-- but looking back, I was only fooling myself.

Intuition can never go wrong. Seriously, believe me. It has very low voice, we should keep silent in our mind.

In life some time best thing(it can be anything material item, friendship, lover or any kind of relationship family like) comes to us and we don't recognize it. I must admit, if we don't try and understand this thing then we are going to miss it. Therefore we should try to understand everyone.

We can try to understand everyone by adding this thing to mind. "This world is masterpiece and everyone who are living here are also part of this masterpiece".

Edit: I mentioned everyone here, okay. I think i should tell why i used this word. Everyone means anything that come to you in your life. I am not saying you need to approach every person of this world at a time, this looks impossible. :)

Last edited:
Some would say that there is no such thing as intuition. The thing we humans call "intuition" is really our minds working at their most secretive level, processing information more quickly than-- and completely unbeknownst to-- our conscious minds.

Yep, this ^^

Thats exactly why it can't be relied upon.

Intuition isn't some magical message from the future or from some divine being. It's you, guessing.

There are disputing theories as to how fast the brain is but the ball park figure is something like this:

Your brain processes around 4 million bits of info per second whilst your conscious mind can only process around 250.

The vast majority if not all of the thoughts you have are multi tiered i.e. they are partly subconscious and partly conscious. Intuition is your brain doing the working out and then presenting your conscious mind with the answer

I am a firm believer in my intuition.

Now, I don't think it's magic and butterflies, I think it's one of those initial evolutionary developments that we've learned to ignore through social constructs and technological advancements. I think INFJs have a enough of a disconnect from others, that we may have a "one up" in this area...

I also believe that throughout this physical life, we will encounter many soulmates, and they each have purposes. The roles we'd like to assign them are just not the roles they are meant to be in, most of the time.

Dude may have a significant purpose in your life, it just may not have shown itself yet. Don't beat yourself up! Just keep all 3 eyes open!

Reactions: CoffeeShopDiva
I am a firm believer in my intuition.

Now, I don't think it's magic and butterflies, I think it's one of those initial evolutionary developments that we've learned to ignore through social constructs and technological advancements. I think INFJs have a enough of a disconnect from others, that we may have a "one up" in this area...

I also believe that throughout this physical life, we will encounter many soulmates, and they each have purposes. The roles we'd like to assign them are just not the roles they are meant to be in, most of the time.

Dude may have a significant purpose in your life, it just may not have shown itself yet. Don't beat yourself up! Just keep all 3 eyes open!

^^ This.

Not sure if this is intuition, but I learned that if I silence myself (inner voice & judgments), I see things more clearly, notice things or sometimes pick up on things I wouldn't notice otherwise, but i'm not sure if I would call it intuition.

Not sure if this is intuition, but I learned that if I silence myself (inner voice & judgments), I see things more clearly, notice things or sometimes pick up on things I wouldn't notice otherwise, but i'm not sure if I would call it intuition.

Internal dialogue takes up "bandwidth" of concentration.

Try this:

Close your eyes and imagine an orange floating about an inch behind and above your head. keep it there and open your eyes. you will notice your whole vision opening up and your internal dialogue quietening.

This is one way of opening up your peripheral vision (it may take a few go's for it to have a profound affect)

After a few tries you should be able to do it without closing your eyes first.

This will make you FAR more observant and able to pay attention to multiple things at once via your peripheral vision.

It may feel wierd to start with but if you do this regularly it will have a profound affect on your life. especially for INFJ's and INFP's

I thought he was the one. I didn't tell him this, of course, but, for the first time in my life I actually believed it was true. He was so comfortable, compatible, attractive.

And now he's gone. But, I'm usually not wrong with guys. I usually know why we will end before we even start. Where did my intuition go wrong?

Have you ever had this kind of gut feeling about someone? Were you right in the end?

Sorry things didn't work out.

No one is perfect and neither is intuition. My INFJ wife's intuition is least accurate about things directly relating to her personally. I think intuition is least reliable when one's own desires are part of the situation.

Look at it this way. If things are meant to be, they will be. If they are not meant to be, you don't want them to be.

Yes, I thought my wife would be the one, and I was right.

But I had plenty of up front doubts. My intuition kept telling me to ignore my doubts and pursue anyway. Did your up front mentality have any doubts, or was it holding the leash? By the latter question I am essentially talking about what Res just reinforced and Norton pointed out.

Thanks for trying to understand my rather cryptic message. I didn't want this to turn into a "Boo-Hoo Me" kind of thread, so I didn't dwell on the specifics. But, he's confused, been hurt badly before, and doesn't have the same feelings for me. But for some reason I've been hoping that he would miss me, I suppose.

This does make me feel better. A lot actually. That it wasn't a mistake, just something that was meant to happen the way it did. It makes me feel better about my intuition and myself.

Do you really think we have more than one soul mate?

Thanks for trying to understand my rather cryptic message. I didn't want this to turn into a "Boo-Hoo Me" kind of thread, so I didn't dwell on the specifics. But, he's confused, been hurt badly before, and doesn't have the same feelings for me. But for some reason I've been hoping that he would miss me, I suppose.

This does make me feel better. A lot actually. That it wasn't a mistake, just something that was meant to happen the way it did. It makes me feel better about my intuition and myself.

Yeah I do.... :D

I just recently ended a relationship with someone because my husband and I are getting back together. I won't go into too much detail here, but if I'd not met him, then our reconciliation probably would not have happened.

I've had occurrences like this happen a lot in my life. It's like this staircase that keeps building upon itself. The next step, I can't see, but I know it's coming, so I kinda hang out on that top step, dance around, yell down the stairs, until the next one appears..

Yes, and each one can take you on a different path through life. Flavor of paths may differ. Some are bitter sweet.

I suspect you're allowing for your intuition to be proven right, and well, I would too. People come and go from our lives, but who is to say where a story really ends? Only yesterday a love I lost a long time ago came back into my life. It's not how it was before, and I'm glad honestly. I've moved on since then, but it felt good to know she's still a star in my sky, and that our story continues.

So there's time yet, on your journey, and there may be a place down the road where you and he meet again, and it may be still be as lovers, or it may be something else. Love has many colours, each of them beautiful. Don't hope too much, but keep aside a piece of your hope, just in case you're right, and see where your own road takes you in the meantime.

It's like what WellNoWonder said, but with a bit of magic and butterflies sprinkled on top. I wish you luck, and I wish you happiness in love and in your onward journey through life. :)

Reactions: sassafras