introvert and extrovert intimate relationships | INFJ Forum

introvert and extrovert intimate relationships

invisible

On Holiday
Sep 30, 2009
Avalon Archipelago
MBTI
none
what is it like to be an introvert dating or partnered to an extrovert? apparently it's supposed to be good. i can't stand the thought of the social obligations. are two introverts together supposed to just go quiet and not talk to each other or something?

It can be challenging dating an extrovert, especially if he/she is in the extreme side of the spectrum. Though the same could be said of extreme introverts dating each other, which I think would be such a bore. So, I guess my point is to date people who are balanced...meaning, people who like to have fun and are engaging but at the same time who acknowledge the need for solitude and reflection. You need the interaction of both worlds, the dance with the yin and yang.

I've dated the extreme sides, unfortunately. The extreme extroverted is like that nagging side of you that reminds you that you don't go out that much, that needs to exercise, that needs to make more friends and that overall you're a loser. The extreme introvert just...well is just there. Nothing happens, and then the relationship just dies. I have yet to find a healthy balance.

Honestly, having dated a semi-introvert, I'd prefer dating more an extrovert. It's a nice balance to my introversion. However, I'd prefer if the person also respects the differences between us and doesn't expect me to be as extroverted as they are.

Last edited:
I need alone time, all alone time, it is not an option. As long as my extroverted partner understands this I'm sure it would all be fine.

I prefer someone who is on the sagittal (sp?)/transverse plane of the spectrum, that way I have the benefit of their extroversion to balance my introversion out, and they have the benefit of my extroverted side to balance their introverted side out.

I married an extrovert. She deals with our social obligations, and I take care of... well... other stuff. ;)

It was generally good, except that when it was bad, and I was angry for example I would shut off and process and she wouldn't be able to handle the silence and would keep pressing me and pressing me and pressing me until I would snap and be like "WHAT!" I really miss her pressing me...

Reactions: invisible
what is it like to be an introvert dating or partnered to an extrovert? apparently it's supposed to be good. i can't stand the thought of the social obligations. are two introverts together supposed to just go quiet and not talk to each other or something?

I don't think I would be able to go out with an extrovert either. I would refuse to go out to parties and "mingle.":m041:

Strangely enough, I dated an introvert and I experienced many of the "why are you so quiet" issues... except it was coming from me. :c Personally I think it's better to date someone as introverted/extroverted as you are... I guess other pairings could work though.

ive dated both sides i like the nagging a little more more then the quiet types because i like to know whats going on with them how there feeling stuff like that

ive dated both sides i like the nagging a little more more then the quiet types because i like to know whats going on with them how there feeling stuff like that

I do the same thing but apparently more introverted types find it annoying. *shrugs*

everyone mistakes me for the extrovert and that boy for the introvert, lulz. i guess that makes sense. it's great. we cover each other's asses when needed.

Doesn't this need some amount of understanding inbetween both partners?

I happened to be in a relationship with a introvert like myself. Bad idea. Silences were rife between us. Yet I was accused of speaking too much. o_O

I am hoping to find someone more extroverted than myself. I'm looking for balance.

Introvert and extravert long term relationship never worked for me.....

its hard to relate to each other, they somtimes don't take time to understand you, more obsorbed in their social life (extravers energy source).
But I guess people are different. I'm currently in a relationship with another introvert like me (1 year and growing strong) :D