Introversion and sickness | INFJ Forum

Introversion and sickness

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Introverts seem to have specific ways they deal with illness compared to extroverts, especially in their response to other's treatment of them. What's been your experience as an introvert when you're sick? How does your introversion impact your personality you are sick? Do you feel your introversion affects your health or influences how you handle health concerns? Do you think it affects how you relate to loved ones who are concerned about your health? Do you think introverts are likely to wait longer to get help than extroverts? Do you let people know you're ill or do you tend to keep to yourself? Do you speak up when you're ill or in pain or do you wait a long time before letting someone know?

introvert-survival-kit.png

Reactions: drummergirlbk
I don't get sick very often, and I don't really care when I do get sick so long as it isn't likely to kill me. I don't mention it and someone else is likely to tell me I'm sick before I tell them anything.

I may or may not be more grouchy but otherwise I do pretty much the same shit, unless for some reason I actually can't.

I don't get sick very often, and I don't really care when I do get sick so long as it isn't likely to kill me. I don't mention it and someone else is likely to tell me I'm sick before I tell them anything.

I may or may not be more grouchy but otherwise I do pretty much the same shit, unless for some reason I actually can't.

I'm the same way. I can't remember the last time I was sick other than just a sinus cold or migraines or something simple like that. I honestly have no idea if how we handle being sick has anything to do with introversion/extroversion since I have little personal experience with it. I try to not be any more grouchy but idk if it actually works or not since I've never asked.

Introverts seem to have specific ways they deal with illness compared to extroverts, especially in their response to other's treatment of them. What's been your experience as an introvert when you're sick? How does your introversion impact your personality you are sick? Do you feel your introversion affects your health or influences how you handle health concerns? Do you think it affects how you relate to loved ones who are concerned about your health? Do you think introverts are likely to wait longer to get help than extroverts? Do you let people know you're ill or do you tend to keep to yourself? Do you speak up when you're ill or in pain or do you wait a long time before letting someone know?

introvert-survival-kit.png

Really good post! Thanks for posing these questions. I do think Introverts and Extroverts deal with sickness differently now that you bring this up, and it's very interesting.

1. What's been your experience as an introvert when you're sick?
Sometimes I feel a lot of shame, like it's a weakness. Since I already claim more "me time" than extroverts in order to recharge, I feel like tending to my illness and the necessary down time to do this must seem like another big self-indulgence, or just more weird self-isolating behaviors.
2. How does your introversion impact your personality you are sick?
I'm not sure if this is my introversion, Depression or some combination, but I tend to catastrophize, become more withdrawn, feel very needy but also feel unable to express my needs to anyone (ex: I have trouble asking my husband for help with things when I have a migraine etc).
3.Do you feel your introversion affects your health or influences how you handle health concerns?
Not sure. Again, my depression is involved and sometimes it really is hard to tease the two apart. My need for privacy seems to lead me to not seeking medical attention for things. Also, it's a form of "putting yourself out there" to say "hey, I'm sick, help me." I just can't do it, even to doctors who are paid to help. It leads to a certain degree of self-neglect.
4. Do you think it affects how you relate to loved ones who are concerned about your health?
Yes, high degree of shame, like I said, because I feel my extreme introversion already makes me look neurotic and self-involved. So I tend to withdraw more and say nothing of how I am feeling and do not admit to being sick.
5. Do you think introverts are likely to wait longer to get help than extroverts?
Not sure. I know I am, but I can't speak for other introverts. My gut says yes. I think introverts are more likely to try and solve the problem themselves first before seeking any outside medical help.
6. Do you let people know you're ill or do you tend to keep to yourself?
I keep to myself.
7. Do you speak up when you're ill or in pain or do you wait a long time before letting someone know?
I wait a long time. My husband of nearly 8 years, for example, has no idea I am nearly deaf in one ear. And he works in medical devices engineering and did work on cochlear implant devices for years and knows a lot about hearing loss and solutions.

Last edited:
Some of the questions are a bit repetitive, I realized. So, general responses are welcome. I feel guilty to some extent when anyone has to worry about me. I had an emergency health issue this week, and had to go to the hospital. I am fighting feelings of embarrassment and shame for being incapacitated in some way to need someone's help. It does make me feel weak, and very much like an invalid. I was afraid to ask questions, and worried I was bothering the health staff when I had a question or needed something. For the most part, I tried to be calm and quiet, so that I could stay out of the way as much as possible. What's worse is that being quiet leads some of the healthcare workers to think you lack awareness or don't know very much. When someone asked a question, because I wanted to think through my answers to give the right response, a few were a little impatient. Introverts do tend to think a little more about what they are going to say before they say it, but medical situations, quick responses are important so while sick, you feel pressure to cough up the information quickly. I do think introverts wait longer to express their health concerns, maybe waiting until a problem is really serious before mentioning it to a doctor or loved one. I also think they can also be easily ignored if they're not verbal about their concerns. I noticed that my effort to be quiet lead to receiving less attention than those who were more verbal about their care in health facilities. Introverts should speak up for themselves more. Quiet is too often equated with = there is no problem, and so someone can be too easily ignored if they are too quiet.

Last edited:
I don't get sick often, and attribute that to healthy eating, exercise, social connections (Yeah, I actually have some...) and sufficient rest.
Whenever I do get sick, I allow myself the luxury of taking a sick day (or two) from work--and I generally sleep in/rest/relax, because it's necessary.

I think we're like cats. We don't talk about it when we're sick, and maybe even hide somewhere.

If I get sick, I simply let it run its course without medication or any kind of pills. I will only take anti-biotics if it proves to be a virus which lasts for more than a week. Most viruses last two-three days maximum for me. Overall, I think I have a healthy immune system backed up with good genetics.

I feel like when I'm sick, it's the closest I'll ever come to understanding Fi. Because I have Fe, and a migraine for instance, usually is so incapacitating that I'm of no use to anyone in my external world. I can only speculate, but my mind likes to think that's kind of how Fi is. It's a strong internal disposition that demands your attention (at times) and can even be incapacitating in certain situations.

As for being sick around others. I'm perfectly content being sick by myself. If someone insists on taking care of me, I'm generally a little less tactful in my speech, tone, etc. But I'll alway be apologetic and honest through and through, often apologizing for my illness regardless of my own fault. Haha. That's just my way.

That I'm sick and stay inside my room yet long for silent company.
Like someone reading a book on the couch next to me against who'm I can lean a little with my eyes closed.

I withdraw more, and don't really tell people I'm sick and don't feel comfortable talking much or being talked to.
I try to avoid running into people so as not to make them sick too.

3.Do you feel your introversion affects your health or influences how you handle health concerns?
partly, now this is already a common trait in men but the introversion makes it worse, I tend not to go to the doctor unless I've been struggling with my health for far too long. I also am more likely to slightly neglect myself in favor of not running into anyone.

4. Do you think it affects how you relate to loved ones who are concerned about your health?
I'm a student in a student home so no, I also do not inform my family. Honestly if anyone knows it when im sick it's everyone on here through the "write what you think/feel" threads.

5. Do you think introverts are likely to wait longer to get help than extroverts?
Yes.

I keep to myself. Duo to another hobby of mine I always have a few weeks worth of supplies in my room, so I don't even need to go out for groceries when I fall ill.

7. Do you speak up when you're ill or in pain or do you wait a long time before letting someone know?
I wait for a long time. One time I had an infection in my small intestines, and It gave me such pain that I'd bend over from it every few hours or so, it wasen't untill half a year had passed and my mom noticed me bend over in pain once that she send me to the doctor. It was almost over already but I got hospitalised anyway. Treatment was no food, just one of those damned drips in my arm for a few days and then starting off slow with non solids like vanilla custard... they didnt wanna give me the damned chocolate varient :'( they said it might be too heavy to process x) ugh.

The reason I also refrain from going to the doctor is because I don't trust them that much anymore. I used to have a doctor who told me with everything I had to come back the next week if it still persisted even though i'd be having said issue for over a week already and often when I came back the next week I got to hear the same thing. I've had better doctors since but I cannot shake the habbit of not seeking help unless others push me to.

I'm very healthy. But rarely when I catch a cold, or have head or stomach ache I just will wait till it gets better. I won't say nothing to my loved ones and I won't take medication. I like to be alone when I'm sick. I don't like when people is worried about me, I see it as my own problem.

I very rarely get sick. When I do, I don't say anything but separate from my family a little. I do take over the counter meds but usually just keep going. I am the backbone of everyone's lives, so I almost never admit to feeling sick.

Reactions: just me
I sleep for a long time, and it's basically like hibernating. You won't see me out of my room for a few days, and I live off of canned chicken noodle soup.

Well, I hole myself up in my room. Also, I rarely tell people I'm sick unless it is obvious that I am from a casual glance.

I never go to the health center, if that's what you mean. I try to treat myself by drinking a lot of chicken noodle soup and orange juice (that is, if I have the energy to go to the supermarket and buy a carton right when I'm beginning to get sick).

I don't tell my family because I don't live with my family, I live in a dorm. But even at school, I prefer to grin and bear any illnesses by myself.

Yes.

I keep to myself. I might text a couple of classmates if I am going to be missing an important commitment because I am sick, but I don't really go around shouting that I'm sick to everyone and expecting some special treatment.

I let someone know that I'm ill if it's noticably impacting my behavior in front of them, or if it's obvious from my appearance that I am feeling unwell, but if it's just a slight cold or something like that, I usually won't tell anyone. As for the second part of the question: I haven't been in any severe pain before, so I don't have an answer.

Reactions: Artisan
I was afraid to ask questions...being quiet leads some of the healthcare workers to think you lack awareness or don't know very much. When someone asked a question, because I wanted to think through my answers to give the right response, a few were a little impatient. Introverts do tend to think a little more about what they are going to say before they say it, but medical situations, quick responses are important so while sick, you feel pressure to cough up the information quickly. I do think introverts wait longer to express their health concerns, maybe waiting until a problem is really serious before mentioning it to a doctor or loved one. I also think they can also be easily ignored if they're not verbal about their concerns. I noticed that my effort to be quiet lead to receiving less attention than those who were more verbal about their care in health facilities. Introverts should speak up for themselves more. Quiet is too often equated with = there is no problem, and so someone can be too easily ignored if they are too quiet.

I agree with a lot of this. Now, I write all my symptoms and questions down. When I talk to a doctor I have a copy for him/her and a copy for me, which I take notes on. I also write things down on my phone whenever I think of them so I can later add them to the list. This is the most efficient way I have found to get all of my needs addressed and questions answered. In addition, most if not all doctors take the list and make it part of your file so they can track what's going on with you. It helps them help you and keeps the conversation focused on your health concerns. It also doesn't waste their time or yours.

If I get sick, I simply let it run its course without medication or any kind of pills. I will only take anti-biotics if it proves to be a virus which lasts for more than a week. Most viruses last two-three days maximum for me. Overall, I think I have a healthy immune system backed up with good genetics.
I know it's an old post, but I couldn't help noticing:

Antibiotics only work with bacterial infections and have no effect on viruses.

Reactions: PintoBean and acd
I power through it like a damn beast. Throw up while on the job? I'm not going home until I'm dead. That's the American way!