INTP: The most critical type? | INFJ Forum

INTP: The most critical type?

knight in battle

Feb 28, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
My experience at IIDB reminds me of my experience on an INTP forum. INTP types (and NT types in general) can be very combative and nitpicky. An INTP has Introverted Thinking as a dominant function which means Extraverted Feeling is their inferior. A less developed or less balanced INTP can really suck at relating well to other people, and this is multiplied when you get a group of NTs together.

Atheist forums tend to attract many INTPs partly because of an NT interest in computers and debate, partly because Introverts spend more time doing solitary activities such as web browsing, and partly because NPs(Ne) love to discuss ideas endlessly. So, quite probably most of the critical people on IIDB are INTPs or some NT type, but also possibly some INFPs trying to conform to an NT environment.

(Criticalism, Integralism, and Type)

We are critical because we want to make sure you're right. Not because we want to prove you wrong

We already have a theory for almost everything. Any new idea has to first defeat the old one before it can be integrated into our belief system. We have a system for getting to the truth (as we see it) and we employ that system brutally and without remorse for either idea (new or old)

If you have an emotional attachment to a belief, best not debate it with an INTP. If you want to learn new things about your belief and make the INTP feel all fuzzy inside, let him tear it apart. Trust me, if it has merit, he will put it back together again. assuming he isn't an idiot of course

I love INTPs for this.
Me: Hey, I've got a theory.
INTP: Fuck you, theory.
Me: Hey, here's a new theory.
INTP: No, fuck that one, the old one works better. *goes back to it.*

I tend to find that INTPs can be the most critical type when it comes to theories and abstract ideas. In MBTI terms, it would appear that the dominant Ti leads them to critically examine everything. That being said, with all the functions an INTP has, they can be prone when younger to be very stubborn in adhering to an idea that has no merit simply because in the mental world of the INTP, if makes sense. As an INTJ, I know that INTPs tend to clash with me. I have different parameters for something being "true" than most INTPs tend to have. I have Ni and Te so I tend to go for evidence that's empirically proven or empirically satisfactory and then I let Fi sort what's true and what I follow for me. INTPs use Ti in a manner similar to how I use Fi. They seek complete and utter truth. I tend to seek various points of understanding.

(I'm really tired, this may not make sense >.>)

Reactions: Blind Bandit
They seek complete and utter truth

Only the stupid ones

The truth is we can never be sure what the complete and utter truth is. We (meaning people in general) have access to so little information in terms of the big picture and we only pay attention to a tiny fraction of that information so how can any one claim to know the absolute truth.

The only way to be right is to recognise that you can never always be right. If you don't believe any of your beliefs then how can you be wrong about them.

Descartes got it right when he stated the one and only possible undeniable fact.

I think therefore I am

I exist in some way. Everything else is up for debate.

Reactions: grt$5vb
Only the stupid ones

The truth is we can never be sure what the complete and utter truth is. We (meaning people in general) have access to so little information in terms of the big picture and we only pay attention to a tiny fraction of that information so how can any one claim to know the absolute truth.

The only way to be right is to recognise that you can never always be right. If you don't believe any of your beliefs then how can you be wrong about them.

Descartes got it right when he stated the one and only possible undeniable fact.

I think therefore I am

Complete and utter truth was bad wording on my part. I meant to put a 'valid' truth that coincides in with the basic axioms that the INTP believes in. Thus, the truth can be mitigated from the basic axioms about life that the INTP as an individual holds.

Reactions: Trifoilum
Complete and utter truth was bad wording on my part. I meant to put a 'valid' truth that coincides in with the basic axioms that the INTP believes in. Thus, the truth can be mitigated from the basic axioms about life that the INTP as an individual holds.

Isn't that what everyone does? It sounds like you're saying we base our beliefs (temporarily at least) on the things that seem to be true to us.

It would be rather foolish to do anything other than this don't you think?

Or have I misunderstood?

Isn't that what everyone does? It sounds like you're saying we base our beliefs (temporarily at least) on the things that seem to be true to us.

It would be rather foolish to do anything other than this don't you think?

Or have I misunderstood?

Ti serves as the judgement function of an INTP. It provides the inner framework of an INTP, as it has been explained to me. It seems an internal consistency is required. If something doesn't agree with the internal conception of what an INTP thinks the world should be like, that serves as an attack on the INTPs way of envisioning life and, at that people, the new "challenger" must prove its merits. I tend to find that Te, for example, adheres itself to empiricism and changes its way of looking at truth. Then Fi would make the value call.

Does that make sense? I could be wrong as well :p

Only the stupid ones

I think therefore I am

All INTPs know this. You're pretty slow :)

I personally would make a fine distinction between being critical and nitpicky. :|

Quite a lot INTPs, especially the immature / underdeveloped / unhealthy ones, tend to be nitpicky rather than critical; viciously dissecting not for the sake of dissecting and understanding, but for the sake of "hah! You're wrong, sucka!". While the healthy ones doesn't have that trait, and do tend to be more understanding / tolerating of other belief, mindsets, values...I found out that they are still unbending under...their truth, so to speak. (Si relief function?) The most common conclusion tend to be 'fine, let's agree to disagree (but I still think my idea is better)'

Which is humane; I would believe. But not critical.

In between those are layers of rationalization ("Hmm, maybe A happens instead of B because Y happens. If Z happens, then B should have happened.")

On a random topic; INTPs in particular seems to be most guilty of having 'one flaw = RUINED WRONG FALSE UNTRUE BULLSHIT!' mindset, especially when the glue was Fe / ideas of ethics / human interactions. When the glue was Fi / belief / value, they tend to mock at worst; agree to disagree at best. This shines even brighter for the unhealthy ones.

Reactions: Norton
I notice that when people talk about INTPs, if they're not completely bashing them, very often would be discussed the concept of unhealthy INTPs.

Either people think that INTPs are more prone to be unhealthy, which is the same as saying that INTPs are generally an unhealthy type, or that other types are more accepted being unhealthy.

Last edited:
Unhealthy is a fucking cop out from having any sort of real debate.

I notice that when people talk about INTPs, if they're not completely bashing them, very often would be discussed the concept of unhealthy INTPs.

Either people think that INTPs are more prone to be unhealthy, which is the same as saying that INTPs are generally an unhealthy type, or that other types are more accepted being unhealthy.
Exposure?

A lot of healthy INTPs tend to be....rather invisible, at least compared to less than healthy ones. (more developed Fe?)
At least that's for me. I know one well enough to deduct, but using one person to generalize a type -is- another faux pas.

So yesh, thus the distinction that the unhealthy ones shines more.

Exposure?

A lot of healthy INTPs tend to be....rather invisible, at least compared to less than healthy ones. (more developed Fe?)
At least that's for me. I know one well enough to deduct, but using one person to generalize a type -is- another faux pas.

So yesh, thus the distinction that the unhealthy ones shines more.

Maybe all the Healthy ones aren't INTPs
Maybe they ascended to a higher plane of existence

In other words, I can make shit up too.

Maybe all the Healthy ones aren't INTPs
Maybe they ascended to a higher plane of existence

In other words, I can make shit up too.
Aren't a lot of healthy types tend to appear to be on a higher plane of existence?

Personally, I think being critical of ideas is a very good thing. Critical without prejudice. When I am debating something with someone I don't see it as my idea vs their idea. It's more like idea number one vs idea number two.

The more difficult it is to prove an idea wrong then the more likely it is to be true. In my opinion at least.

I don't necessarily want my idea to be right, in fact in many case I'm hoping the other person is able to prove me wrong as this would lead to me gaining some new information which I wasn't previously privy to.

I already know my current world view is flawed. Everyone's world view is flawed. I'd like to know which parts of my belief system are wrong so I can get closer to the truth. I may kick and scream and bite, insisting you're wrong whilst all the time hoping you can convince me otherwise

But some INTP's just want you to be wrong. They are debeating with you purely to show just how much better their reasoning abilities are than yours (an assumption which proves itself wrong I think). Something they have already decided is true is set in stone and they will not be budged. They are right and you are wrong. Only they know the truth. Thats just how the universe works. Blargh!

Watch The Big Bang Theory (a TV programme) and you will see a very good example of INTPness taken to the extreme in Sheldon Cooper. A legend if ever there was one