INTJ falling for INFJ friend. Help? (Long read) | INFJ Forum

INTJ falling for INFJ friend. Help? (Long read)

nyc bred

Aug 25, 2011
MBTI
INTJ
Enneagram
I had her take the test recently, and her MBTI is INFJ.
I've never been in a relationship, I've never kissed a girl or even held a girls hand so all this is new to me.
Even though I've never had a relationship, it's not as if I've never had the chance. I've just come to realize that it takes more than looks for me to like a girl contrary to what my younger self believed.

Background info:
I met this girl in college approximately 2 years ago. She's 21 and I'm 23. We were more acquaintances than anything during those years. We would grab lunches between classes here and there, have study groups, and a few times walk around the city just chatting. She's always had a boyfriend since I've known her but they broke up recently (two months now). My educated guess is that they were together for about 3 years give or take. She used to invite me out with her and the bf a lot but I only met him once since I didn't feel comfortable being a third wheel. They still keep in touch and hangout which is expected since they've been dating since high school and they run in the same social circle.

From what I've gathered, she is independent, friendly, VERY mature (unlike the other early 20's females who claim to be), intelligent, genuine, introverted, hardworking, and open minded. She's very much a country/nature girl while I'm an urban city guy. She came to the city for school/the ex was here for school so that was a big part of why she came. She has never cancelled on me except the one time her dog had to go to the hospital and if she's running late, she always lets me know. I've never introduced her to any of my friends because well...all we really do is smoke weed, play games, and watch TV.

Her ex has been gone the past few weeks and came back the weekend that just passed. Since he's been gone, I've been getting to know her a lot better and I'm beginning to have feelings for her. I know she needs time to get over the ex and I'm not trying to force the issue or anything but I just need advice on what I should be doing. In her words, they're "just friends."

7/23/11
I first took her to a Broadway show just because I wanted to go and my friends aren't into that. I figured it would help her get her mind off the breakup. We went, had a good time, grabbed a quick bite to eat afterwards, drank a little, and I drove her home.

8/4/11
We went to watch a indie flick which turned out to be pretty good. We had time to kill so we walked around the neighborhood, grabbed a bite to eat. She walked/stood relatively close, invading my personal space which I'm not used to. Our hands brushed a few times, and I was sort of tempted to hold her hand but I didn't. Stayed in the theater for a bit after it ended and started talking about religion, god, beliefs, etc. Both of us turn out to be agnostic/atheist. She invited me to her place a few days later to watch a movie and smoke with her and her roommate. We all began to fall asleep during the movie so I left pretty early and met up with my friends.

She drunk dialed me a couple days after that about 4 in the morning. I had just gotten home so I didn't mind the call. It was mostly her talking, and after we hung up, we continued the conversation online till 5am when she passed out.

8/13/11
We went to the zoo on Saturday and spent the whole day together pretty much. The 5 hours we spent together flew by quickly. I don't remember every little detail but she was laughing/giggling ALOT at the things I was saying. They weren't even jokes, just how I normally talk. She asked if I wanted to share an ice cream, I agreed. I thought she'd get two spoons but nope, she got one and we both used it. She would also take my water and drink it like it was hers. Not that I mind, but I'm not used to that.

{break}
I've never been a touchy feely guy but now that I look back on it, there were definitely times during the zoo trip that she was standing close enough or in a position where I could've initiated something such as lending her a hand to help her up a somewhat steep mini hill. There were plenty of casual touches throughout our hangouts, but I don't think they were significant enough to mean anything. Such as sharing food, reaching for my phone when I'm driving, walking next to each other, etc.

I could never tell the difference between being friendly vs. interested, and as my friends tell me, I often see things that aren't there and often mistaken friendliness for more so I'm not too keen on getting my hopes up. The other "bad signs" is that she has referred to me as 'friend' on more than one occasion. The ex is coming back in a few days, and as much as I like spending time with her, I don't want to be there when the ex is there (I can't help it).
{/break}

8/18/11
She had to write a long paper so I told her to call me if she's still up. She ended up calling me at 1am and we talked for a little bit. I was drunk at the bar so I don't really remember what I was saying. But I do remember saying "Well, I'd definitely really like to see you again before the semester starts." (In my head, I was assuming it would be the following week.)

8/19/11
She texts me early afternoon about some random thing. We text back and forth a few times, and I asked her when she gets off but she didn't respond so it was w/e. She originally had plans to go to a comedy show, but she 'wasn't in the mood', so she changed her plans to watching a movie at her friends. (Which she didn't go because she was already with me by the time she was supposed to be at her friends.) So, she ended up calling me after ignoring my text and we went out that Friday night. She invited a friend of hers last minute but he ended up not coming. Went to shoot pool + drink a little, and grabbed pizza at the end. I tried to find opportunities to make a move, and tried to gauge her level of attraction both of which came up negative. Took a picture of each other shooting pool. She used the one I took of her as a FB picture right away.

Music was loud at the pool hall so we drank a little, shot pool, and talked minimally. Afterwards, we grabbed a slice, talked till they kicked us out for closing. Got back in the car, and we ended up sitting there for an hour talking about really personal stuff (even more personal than the first time) till I drove her home.

I ended up sharing stuff with her that even my closest friends don't know. I think she did the same. She told me things about her father (memories) and her family (problems and whatnot) before her father passed. How she never had a sense of home since she moved so much + the pride she used to take in being able to stay disconnected from people in general. (I am/was the same way) We also talked about our fears among MANY MANY other things which I would not be able to type into a paragraph. Shared our 'culture' with each other. I'm a urban Asian kid, and she's a suburban half white/half black girl, so it was a very interesting, vulnerable, open discussion.

With each meetup, she opens up more and more. At first it was the typical "How was work? How was your day? What'd you do this week?" It slowly turned into more serious topics, goals in life, beliefs, our families. I love our conversations. It is a huge change from the other girls I talk to who yap all day about nothing. I actually have respect for this girl, she doesn't come off as a dumb brick like many other young females I've come across. The only times where I sort of blank out and stare into space is when she brings up her ex (which she does pretty often).

I don't know what the deal is now, but I feel that I SHOULD be losing interest in her. I've been thinking about this the whole day, and I'm getting the feeling that I have to start 'protecting' myself from her or at the very least be wary of her. My guess is that because now she knows all my major thoughts, fears, experiences, personal things that I've hidden deep inside that makes me who I am today. In other words, I feel like she knows too much, and my trust issues are acting up.

8/20/11
The ex came back, they went to pick him up and then went out for drinks + pool. She invited me to go, but needless to say that I didn't.

The more I think about it, I realize she's a very 'take-charge' type of person which I admire since I'm very indecisive. Thinking back, on most of our outings, she was usually the one that led the way in what I perceived as random walking. There were other moments too. Because of this, I feel that if she WAS interested, it wouldn't be what I see now as mixed signals, she'd either let me know, or it'd be fairly obvious. She also said she wasn't the type of person to go on dates with random people, and that she is supposedly the friends first type.

I should also add that there were probably some things that I shouldn't have told her but did anyway. Take from that what you will.

8/22/11
Talked to her online. We were supposed to get together on Thursday and do something but she had to cancel since her mom is visiting so it's understandable.
I apologized for barraging her with questions and talking too much that night (8/19/11) but she said she wasn't uncomfortable and "even if she wasn't drunk she wouldn't have been". We ended the convo cause she went to meet her ex to grab food.

8/23/11
Yesterday, we had an earthquake in the northeast, and we felt it in New York. After I made sure my parents were alright, I texted her. We went back and forth for a little bit until she ignored my last text again. But ended up calling me 1-2 hours later and made sure I was alright. (This left a big smile on my face.)

Oh, did I mention she's taller than me by an inch or two? Lol.
I definitely don't want to be a rebound.

I kind of want to make a move but not sure how to go about it...

Thanks if you've read all of it.
Thoughts of any kind or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Until you try to kiss her, it won't be clear how she feels in return.

If she returns you kiss, then all is well.

If you try to kiss her and she's like "whoa I just think of you as a friend," then you have to decide whether you CAN be just friends. But at least you'll know where she stands.

You have one of two options when you are 'mid fall'

1) Entrust that the environment that you hit will be non-damaging and do nothing
2) Take heart that you can do something to lower the damage and do it.

Quit beating around the bush and digesting the situation .... JUST DO IT! If she doesn't feel the same way ... oh well, move on. :D

/pep talk

Reactions: grt$5vb
Until you try to kiss her, it won't be clear how she feels in return.

If she returns you kiss, then all is well.

If you try to kiss her and she's like "whoa I just think of you as a friend," then you have to decide whether you CAN be just friends. But at least you'll know where she stands.

I can be JUST friends with her if she doesn't feel the same. That's not the problem. The problem is gauging her interest and making a move. As mentioned, I've never kissed a girl so trying to go for that is like jumping from level 1 to 100.

have you asked her...?

I haven't, I wouldn't even know how to bring it up. I was thinking about calling her towards the end of the week and asking her if she wanted to go on a date, but I'm pretty sure my nerves will make me back out or say something stupid.

Quit beating around the bush and digesting the situation .... JUST DO IT! If she doesn't feel the same way ... oh well, move on. :D

/pep talk

Easier said than done my friend.

This is a situation where exposing yourself to the possibility of painful rejection is worth the risk. Tell her how you feel, even if it makes you vulnerable because, if she is interested in you, this could be a wonderful thing. In matters of love and potential love, taking risks is important. If you are rejected, you'll suffer, but you'll get over it. Doing the most important things in life will often make you feel uncomfortable or worse, but as they say, "nothing ventured, nothing gained."

Reactions: Nixie
Okay, if you are willing to write a day by day account of what is going on with this chick, you got it bad. Either do nothing or do something. Just remember that choosing to not make a choice is still making a choice.

If she is an INFJ, I would suggest saying something heartfelt to her.

I'm probably going to call her on Sunday and ask her to go on a date. I don't want to do it now because I'm going to Atlantic City with some friends tonight and coming back Sunday, so I don't want to be bummed out on the trip if she says no.

I was thinking a simple, "So I was wondering, do you want to go on a date sometime next week?"

Or should I do something more 'heartfelt'?

Reactions: Norton
I'm probably going to call her on Sunday and ask her to go on a date. I don't want to do it now because I'm going to Atlantic City with some friends tonight and coming back Sunday, so I don't want to be bummed out on the trip if she says no.

I was thinking a simple, "So I was wondering, do you want to go on a date sometime next week?"

Asking is good. I guess what I am saying is that INFJs express a desire for people to be honest and open with them.

I would gauge her reaction to the simple date question (but do make sure it is clear you are asking her on a date, not just to "hang out")... If her response is positive, you might then follow up with something to the effect that you like her as "more than a friend." Her response to that would be revealing.

Good luck!

(FYI: I'm INFJ my husband is INTJ.... I love our relationship =)

I have to say - this story sounds somewhat like my life about 20 years ago. INFJ smart girl from the country moves to Chicago and meets the love of her life (INTJ).

She sounds as if she is interested in you and is waiting for some signal from you. From my own recollection - I would never have been in your personal space like that if I was not opened up to you and felt safe.

Have you told her you're going away for the weekend? Please do this and let her know you'd like to go out with her when you get back.

Good luck.

This is a situation where exposing yourself to the possibility of painful rejection is worth the risk. Tell her how you feel, even if it makes you vulnerable because, if she is interested in you, this could be a wonderful thing. In matters of love and potential love, taking risks is important. If you are rejected, you'll suffer, but you'll get over it. Doing the most important things in life will often make you feel uncomfortable or worse, but as they say, "nothing ventured, nothing gained."

Thanks for the encouragement.

Well she just texted me. "Don't fall asleep through this weekends natural disaster." (She knows I tend to fall asleep everywhere, class, work, etc.) I fell asleep through New York's mini earthquake on Tuesday so she knows about that.

So I guess at least she's thinking about me (even a little)?
Not sure how to respond though.

Reactions: Norton
I have to say - this story sounds somewhat like my life about 20 years ago. INFJ smart girl from the country moves to Chicago and meets the love of her life (INTJ).

She sounds as if she is interested in you and is waiting for some signal from you. From my own recollection - I would never have been in your personal space like that if I was not opened up to you and felt safe.

Have you told her you're going away for the weekend? Please do this and let her know you'd like to go out with her when you get back.

Good luck.

She knows I'm going away for a couple days. I don't want to ask her out, have her say no, and then be sad/bummed out for the trip you know?

P.S are you and your INTJ still together?

Well, as an INFJ myself I always prefer if people are completely open and honest with me about how they feel, even if I don't feel the same way. If someone's into me then I want to know it and if I really care about the person then I will be very, very gentle with the rejection and do my best to maintain the friendship. I think you will save yourself a lot of internal struggle if you get it over with and tell her how you feel. I think something heartfelt is good but really you should do what comes naturally to you as a person. You don't have to force it out.

I understand wanting to wait until you get back from your trip to ask her on a date. I just know that for myself if I start getting really strong feelings for someone I just say it regardless of whatever rejection there could possibly be.

Anyway, it sounds like you have a good foundation there with her and that even if she doesn't feel that way towards you romantically, you can probably continue the friendship. It'll be fine! Don't waste time wondering.

She knows I'm going away for a couple days. I don't want to ask her out, have her say no, and then be sad/bummed out for the trip you know?

P.S are you and your INTJ still together?

Hmmm...Are we still together? LOL...After 20 years?! ....it's complicated. We are separated now for over a year.

Your generation is fortunate to be able to learn about the types and their general, broad characteristics in order to help you understand relationship dynamics. In the end, though, you will have to take chances and open yourself up.

So - while you're on the trip - send her text messages, randomly, telling her nonsense stuff. She'll realize you're thinking about her even while away - and like it. :)

I only drunk dial the person I'm insanely crazy about... just sayin.'

take her out somewhere alone again, get to talking and hold her hand, if she reciprocates its a pretty sure sign shes into you, (the hand brushing thing when you were at the zoo was your 1st chance and you missed it, dont miss it again) if she does reciprocate your hold, you might want to invite her to a movie or something alone at home or whatever and put your arm around her, if she snuggles up to you tilt your face towards her, if shes interested she will notice this and mimic by tilting towards you and go for the kiss. The rest should handle itself, good luck friend.

Thats typically the way I handle things and it has been successful when I did it, so I think you should go with that and keep it simple, no need to prepare some big speech, just let your actions speak, if she kisses you back thats when you tell her how you feel about her, but take it slow and take it easy, with as little pressure a spossible you dont want her to feel like youre forcing it.

take her out somewhere alone again, get to talking and hold her hand, if she reciprocates its a pretty sure sign shes into you, (the hand brushing thing when you were at the zoo was your 1st chance and you missed it, dont miss it again) if she does reciprocate your hold, you might want to invite her to a movie or something alone at home or whatever and put your arm around her, if she snuggles up to you tilt your face towards her, if shes interested she will notice this and mimic by tilting towards you and go for the kiss. The rest should handle itself, good luck friend.

Thats typically the way I handle things and it has been successful when I did it, so I think you should go with that and keep it simple, no need to prepare some big speech, just let your actions speak, if she kisses you back thats when you tell her how you feel about her, but take it slow and take it easy, with as little pressure a spossible you dont want her to feel like youre forcing it.

Please do! Spread the word...

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

I ended up calling her, and I eventually brought up the subject of us as just friends or something more. She sees us as just friends which is ok by me. At least now I know and I don't have to overanalyze.

All in all. We're going to stay good friends. I'm not heartbroken or anything, just relieved I got that out of the way. And to be honest...it wasn't bad at all.