Internet addiction disorder | INFJ Forum

Internet addiction disorder

Pristinegirl

Jan 6, 2009
MBTI
ANFP
Internet addiction disorder (IAD) is a maladaptive pattern of Internet use, leading to clinically significant impairment or distress. SO I'm wondering if this is common amongst INFJ's? Apparently 2/3 of populations in developed countries have this.

It is manifested by 3 or more of the following, occurring at any time in the same 12-month period:

1. Tolerance: defined by either a need for markedly more amounts of time on the Internet to achieve satisfaction or markedly diminished effect with continued use of the same amount of time on Internet.

2. Withdrawal: by reducing the amount of time spent on internet after a heavy and prolonged period.
a. Psychomotor agitation
b. Anxiety
c. Obsessive rumination regarding events presently occurring on the Internet
d. Fantasies or dreams about the Internet
e. Involuntary typing movements of the fingers
f. The symptoms cause impairment in social, occupational, or another important area of functioning.

3. Internet: accessed more often or for longer period of time than was intended.

4. Desire to control use: Persistent desire or unsuccessful efforts to cut down or control Internet use.

5. Time spent: A great deal of time is spent in activities related to Internet use, eg buying Internet books, trying out new web browsers, researching Internet vendors, organizing files of downloaded material.

6. Normal activities ignored: Important social, occupational, or recreational activities are given up or reduced because of Internet use.

7. Use continues despite recognition of ill effects: Use continues despite knowledge of having a persistent or recurrent physical, social, occupational, or psychological problem that is likely to have been caused or exacerbated by Internet use

...perhaps :D

Attachments

• InternetAddict1A.JPG
    InternetAddict1A.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 105
  • InternetAddict2.gif
    InternetAddict2.gif
    29 KB · Views: 102
I wrote a paper on that very issue. It's being contemplated for addition into the next DSM. Once it is submitted in the DSM then it will magically be an impulse control disorder like gambling addiction and kleptomania, but until that day, it is not.

I certainly qualify as addicted to the internet.

yuuuuuup thats me.

I'm not addicted.. I'm just doing research. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Everything in life is an addiction. Hell they have addictions for everything. It's when they start breaking them all into categories of right and wrong good and evil that things get out of hand. I am addicted to everything lol..

A wise man once said, "Everything in moderation--including moderation."

Procrastination is actually one of the symptoms of internet addiction sort of, that is if you ever find yourself on the internet when you should be e.g. studying? xD

I wrote a paper on that very issue. It's being contemplated for addition into the next DSM. Once it is submitted in the DSM then it will magically be an impulse control disorder like gambling addiction and kleptomania, but until that day, it is not.

I certainly qualify as addicted to the internet.

It was in my psychology book :) and is considered a disorder even though its not in the DSM yet. Also it depends on who you ask really. Hence, it is debated to whether it is really maladaptive or plane laziness xD I certainly believe its a cultural/social issue rather than a psychological problem.

Internet Addiction given its own seperate heading in the DSM? WOW!

I think there should be a general disorder to cover a wide spectrum of addictions -- call it 'Addictive Personality Disorder' or something, thats all addiction is after all is just a form of escapism -- you know when things get tough no matter how tough, the addict goes back to his addiction to make his negative emotions go away. That's pretty much how it works.

And if it matters, yes i'm addicted to a computer. I have heard that this is not uncommon for INFJs particularly ones who have grown up around technology.

Last edited:
Internet Addiction given its own seperate heading in the DSM? WOW!

I think there should be a general disorder to cover a wide spectrum of addictions -- call it 'Addictive Personality Disorder' or something, thats all addiction is after all is just a form of escapism -- you know when things get tough no matter how tough, the addict goes back to his addiction to make his negative emotions go away..

There is such a heading already. They are called Impulse Control Disorders.

I had to go cold turkey for three weeks while at bf's place and I can tell you it wasn't pretty.

hAHAHH

I have been addicted to the internet since i was 12....i go on everytime i have free time haha, I go on when im hungry, I go on when i can't sleep, I go on when im sad, happy, tired, angry....lol i go on so much! It's great....glad the net was invented!

I am without a doubt addicted to the internet.

I know it, everyone I know knows it. I live with it. :)

dneecey said:
I am without a doubt addicted to the internet.

I know it, everyone I know knows it. I live with it.

... same here...

Last edited: