interesting or unusual courses taken? | INFJ Forum

interesting or unusual courses taken?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
What are some interesting or unusual courses you've taken? What's one or two of the most interesting things you had the chance to learn from the course?

Reactions: not sure
I have a diploma in Neuro Linguistic Programming. Something interesting that I learned is how to cure synesthesia. I don't actually know if it works because people with synesthesia typically don't want it cured so I've never tried it.

I have a diploma in Neuro Linguistic Programming. Something interesting that I learned is how to cure synesthesia. I don't actually know if it works because people with synesthesia typically don't want it cured so I've never tried it.

nice. Synesthesia is such a unique trait that those who have probably feel quite unique and don't want to lose it. It's an interesting to look at the senses.

I have an interest in linguistics and for some reason I developed an interest in neuroscience. I even thought it would be great to study it but science was never my strong suit. I'll see if I can survive linguistics first and then go further if possible.

For me, when taking a class in Film theory, we learned about Christian Metz, a french film theorist who applied the language of grammar to the structure of film. The area is called film semiotics. I was in love with the theory when I learned about it. Film narrative and structure made so much more sense with this theory. I wish I could've learned more. It explains pretty well the way the various elements of film worked together.

Reactions: CindyLou
Not a course, but my internship. An eye opening experience. Mainly from the standpoint of administration of non-profits and that my site was fraudulent. O-o

Well, I would say I have more definitive answers about duel diagnosed 18 yos being unleashed onto society as well. Hmph.

"Black English Language" was the official title. Yep... Ebonics!

My favorite was "Performance of Literature". That one course taught me more and helped me more than any other I've ever taken in school. Here I was a Business major, getting a bunch of strange looks when I walked into that class. I discovered I could turn on that inner actor in me whenever I like (as long as I have some recovery time afterwards).

Reactions: Gaze
Taxonomy.

The classification of biological forms is a very involved, ecletic field. It requires a very detailed and precise study of physical form, lifestyle, genetics, and even some behavioral observations. Once a detailed conceptual picture is taken of an organism, it is then necessary to fit it in with other very detailed conceptual pictures of other organisms. Even the final process of classification involves an elegant process of making distinctions fine enough to account for any and all differences between a certain species and another. This is especially striking when it comes to microorganisms and insects.

It was a one-off I took for one semester way-back-when - but it had a deep effect on me: if you want to be accurate in any field, in any respect it requires detailed knowledge and an ability to make relevant, precise distinctions.

I took a course about the Dead Sea Scrolls to fulfill an anthropology requirement. It was really interesting, because it turns out my professor was a part of the original team that helped find and preserve the document. I also found out a lot about Jewish culture and Kosher eating, which was pretty cool.

Reactions: INFJ16 and Gaze
Yoga Teachers Training.
I have learnt so much about mind-body connection. How to use the body to control the mind and how to use the mind to control the body. It has givven me a great sense of awareness and mindfulness. I dont go through a day of my life without practicing yoga of some form or annother. I hope to take some more courses in the future. Maybe more in the art, therapy or childcare fields.

Reactions: Scientia and Gaze
Theology of Death and Dying.

It was taught by a very modern priest who took the longest smoke breaks imaginable. But his behavior during the lecture is what made the class incredibly odd. He was super blunt about his opinions and just seemed kind of angry all the time. Like he wanted to.... Well... His sources were fine and so was the subject matter. But my oh my did that man rant. LOL.

Last edited:
Modern preist, longest smoke breaks imaginable, incredibly odd behavior, super blunt, angry all the time, like he wanted to...well...
The whole situation really He sounds depressed to me haha. I mean like afterall he did create a course on the topic of death and dying.

Anthropology of Sex Roles

It was an interesting look at how the dichotomies of labor division and physical size contribute to equality of masculine and feminine or lack thereof in a culture. I loved that course but there was one guy in it who said on the first day he thought the class would be about sex itself and he kept sidetracking the discussion with really idiotic, uninformed comments. The professor was very kind and just chuckled at him.

My goodness. I want my synthesia cured... I didn't know it was possible.

Anyhow, a course I really enjoyed on the aestheic level (not exactly interesting), was a semester of entomology. Insects are just so awesomely beautiful and varied.
tumblr_inline_oixrmcBmNG1s5a3cr_540.png

7d3c9d0a0c246640a7eafc166ac9257e.jpg

Last edited:
I took a course in Realm Reading a few years ago. It was very interesting to learn about the different realms of spirit, how they interplay with one another, and how to "spot" them. I still use much of what I learned in that course in my healing work with people.