Inspiring story: Janitor Graduates from Columbia | INFJ Forum

Inspiring story: Janitor Graduates from Columbia

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Just thought this story was cool. Makes almost any reason why you can't accomplish your goals questionable. Anytime I complain about problems at school, this will make me think twice. :)

[h=1]Janitor Gac Filipaj Graduates from Columbia[/h]By Kristen Mascia
Saturday June 02, 2012 11:55 AM EDT
gac-filipaj-300.jpg
Gac Filipaj

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20599341,00.htmlhttp://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20599341,00.html

He's spent nearly 20 years sweeping the halls of Columbia University — and now, Gac Filipaj has graduated from them.

On May 13, after juggling a dual existence — student by day and janitor by night — for nearly 12 years, the bachelor from Queens received his degree in Classics, with honors.

"For me, the dream was always about education," Fiipaj, 52, a native of Montenegro who immigrated to New York from war-torn former Yugoslavia in 1992.

After asking his ESL teacher what the "best school in New York was," he says, he got a $22-an-hour job dumping trash and scrubbing toilets at Columbia in order to take seven credits' worth of classes free per year.

It took over a decade, and it wasn't easy: bone-tired from pulling graveyard shifts then studying all night, he twice thought of quitting. "But I overcame it," he says.

As Filipaj crossed the stage at Columbia's commencement, the crowd erupted in applause.

"He has this amazing humility," says Columbia Dean Scott Halvorson, "but also this clear drive. It's an extraordinary thing."

"I think I looked a little bit better than I look in my uniform," Filipaj proudly reflected the next day, "because the uniform tells that I clean bathrooms — but the gown tells that I have a college degree!"

Now armed with an Ivy League degree, he's set his sights on an even bigger prize: a master's degree in classics, then a Ph.D., with the goal of one day becoming a professor. Until then, the humble bachelor, who regularly sends money back home to his family, has no plans to quit his job as a custodian. "If a job is honest,” he says, "there's no shame in it."

Oh geeze [MENTION=1669]Ame[/MENTION], that's how I feel. When they hand me my Masters Degree they'll also be sending me my social security retirement check in the mail. At least I'm not the only one. Thanks for that story.

Awesome story. But damn, $22 an hour??????????? That is NOT a pittance. Although it is in New York, so the standard of living would probably be more than it is where I live.

I hope to be on the news when I graduate - for other reasons then "campus now safe from menace after graduating class of 2034 ejects its graduates"

dude 22$ bucks is a lot of money for cleaning toilets :O

i always do that kind of jobs and i have never been paid that much xD

In a way, it's disappointing this article was considered worthy of being published. People graduate from college all the time.

I think it's quite awesome..

...given that it's toilet of a campus. I doubt it's the cleanest and most orderly toilet out there.

That's one hell of a drive, sir. Well done. Very well done.