INFJ's - do you stereotype your mates based on MTBI? | INFJ Forum

INFJ's - do you stereotype your mates based on MTBI?

sevenx

Regular Poster
Sep 15, 2012
MBTI
infj
Enneagram
like it says...do you stereotype potential mates based on MTBI? Has it worked in the past or hindered? I have recently started this and am finding out a lot of useful information.

Reactions: the
Absolutely not. Seems like a terrible terrible idea to use such a subjective system of analysis for something as important as picking a mate. I have found that trying to MBTI type someone I am with and see them through that lens has hindered me greatly in understanding them as they are, because I was too busy ignoring things that fly in the face of the theory trying to stuff them into a box that made more sense for me based on a theory that is subjective to begin with.

Well I am talking about people who I have known for ages; upwards of 15 years and I dont understand at all. Not meeting someone for the first time and saying "here, take this personality test!" I am trying to understand how they think, I guess. Or, perhaps how best to approach certain situations.

LOL, I did that once. "You don't make sense. Here, take this test so I can understand how to deal with you a bit better"

lol [MENTION=4871]CindyLou[/MENTION]

I also would never decide a relationship based on MTBI; wouldn't just say..."oh hell no, you are **** can't mess with you cause MTBI says it won't work"

No b/c I'm many years into marriage at this point. I typed my husband a few years ago and gladly so, as we understand now how we communicate differently. It really has helped in many ways. It also validates things that are difficult to explain.

I do it when my curiosity gets the best of me. I like to study people, so this adds a different element. But, everyone is different, so while the MBTI type helps you understand the person's thought processes/actions, it doesn't by any means put them in a box.
It would be incredibly boring if one could do that.

-Anna

Understanding the cognitive functions can give me some valuable insight, but the stereotypes are useless. The INTJs I know I've never been in a "death spiral" with and don't find to be particularly unavailable. The INTP I dated went batshit insane on me emotionally and was a bigger manipulator than any type that's stereotyped as such.

Only if they seem to be INFJ.

[MENTION=6195]sevenx[/MENTION] i'm sorry, but WTF is that thing in your avatar!?

Reactions: sevenx
[MENTION=4015]purplecrayons[/MENTION] it is a venezuelan poodle moth :) actually exists believe it or not! Pretty weird looking, eh?

Reactions: grt$5vb