INFJs and psychosomatic illness

Altruistic Muse

Community Member
Apr 6, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4?
Is it common for INFJs to internalise stresses and sadnesses? I personally have had some great examples of this in my experience. Currently my husband is working offshore for long periods. We haven't been married long, but bizarrely when we did get married and moved in together, the first time he went away I got a piercing headache for the whole evening and next day. I put it down to something else, but now, the second time he has gone away, I have the same sickness.. These sorts of symptoms seem to replace an ACTUAL feeling of sadness so I don't realise. It's weird!

Poke...

Thats a really interesting question! I'm a male, and I'm fairly sensitive, but I'm quite open and comfortable with that, which wasn't always true. I understand that sensitivity definitely it comes with the NF territory! So are my INFJ friends similarly sensitive as well. I've gone through periods in my life where I've felt paranoid, worried, to the point I've felt sick. For me those are rare instances though, and they have also occurred for pretty tangible reasons. I've definitely gotten headaches due to stress probably due to ignoring factors that are causing me stress, but I don't know if I know anyone at all that hasn't experienced that to some extent. I've been fortunate not to have been diagnosed with any psychological conditions in my life. When you ask about internalizing it, I assume you mean something to the effect of kind of pretending its not there and ignoring it? I've definitely done that with my feelings and that never turns out well for me. I have learned (through a lot of trial and error) to face how I feel about things, and consciously acknowledge them so that I can move to thinking about it as quick as I can. I've become much more adept at that as I've matured. I wish I could give an answer to wether or not thats common, though ultimately I don't think its a good habit.

: ) Hope that helps.

I think that sort of reaction to being away from a loved one is normal for most people. I think you guys need to broaden your views on the basis of behavior beyond the Myers Briggs.