Night Owl

This Bird Has Flown
Apr 9, 2016
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Never
I really love French films.

Based on the temperaments, the French have often been labeled as having 'a melancholic soul'. To correlate, the INFJ is dominantly a melancholic (secondarily phlegmatic, but that's another topic). A quality indicative of many of their films is a depth and real fascination with the human person and human relationships. Their character development is often exceptional.

I have a feeling there's something about the INFJ and French films (could I be more general?) that just go together like two peas in a soup.

I've a poor memory for such things, but here's a few French films (English titles) I've watched and loved that I can recall:

• The Hedgehog
  • Common Thread
  • Ugly Melanie
  • Happenstance
  • Amélie (I found it okay... slightly overrated. I went in with an INFJ expectant lense)
  • The Intouchables
  • Thérèse: The Story of Saint Thérèse of Lisieux (Can't recall if it was a little trite, but I'm biased and enjoyed it).
  • Les Misérables (TV film series)

There's a few others that I really liked, but I forget. Let me know of any other good French films you're aware of - especially those that have a certain intrigue about the character, and a kind of innocence and vulnerability to them. I love romance films (is that an INFJ thing?) but I avoid watching films with explicit sex scenes (just not my cuppa tea).

Any INFJ's feel the same way about 'French films'?

P.S. A straight male here, yes that enjoys a Romance film haha ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: seira0807
Two movies I've seen that stick out in my mind are Persepolis, based on an autobiographic graphic novel:

Persepolis_film.jpg

and Un Chien Andalou by Luis Bunuel and Salvador Dalí — which was weird as hell.

Unchienandalouposter.jpg

:m055: Not just an INFJ thing. Could be an NF thing in general because of the theme, mood, and tone of french narrative films. I fell in love with them when I had to watch a few for my film classes in college. Haven't seen one recently but hope to soon. Ones I've seen, I've really enjoyed including Elegance of a Hedgehog and Amelie.

Last edited:
Good point, I think it certainly may be an NF thing. Yet there might be some exceptions. My ENFP friend doesn't like films without a classic 'happy ending' - and indeed, quite a lot of French films end in some more obscure or subtle manner. So maybe it's an Introverted NF thing?

Surrealistic films are interesting... cheers for the films. Even without reading the first part of your sentence, and seeing "weird as hell" I immediately thought of Dali haha.

Here are some of my favourites:

Blue Is the Warmest Color.jpgmanon-of-th-spring-poster.jpgbetty blue.jpg