Jungian Trip

Community Hermit
Donor
Feb 22, 2011
MBTI
DADT
Enneagram
5 of SPadeSX
I just recently began exploring MBTI forums. Even though I have been reading and studying Jungian thought for about four years I've not had as much of a need for stimulating conversation as I do now since I'm no longer in an academic environment. Most of the people I interact with on a daily level do no get beyond surface level conversation. Sports and weather do not count...unless it is getting more in depth about weather patterns on a theoretical level. But that doesn't often happen.

When looking at which forums to join I naturally looked into and joined INTP Central and the INTJf. However, I did not find much camaraderie there. Many were pedantic and used the forum simply as a place to nitpick or write their own ideas with minimal interaction with the theories of others. This is fine, but to me it is not necessarily the primary function of a forum. It seems to me, especially with introverts, that a forum is designed to be a place where people can try to understand others, collaborate and debate ideas with civility, and find a social home that one may not find elsewhere.

The first thing I noticed on INFJf is how considerate and amiable the community is. In logic there is a rule that basically states that when re-telling the premise or main idea of another, you are to be generous as possible. This means you do not create a straw-man argument when retelling their premise (by which you make your opponent or ideological Other sound unreasonable).

Example:

"Yeah, I'm a Republican and therefore I think the only allowed in this country are white-Christians, protestant of course, who will carry their load and buy American made products."
or
"Yeah, I'm a bleeding-heart liberal who thinks child-molesters should go free and we should pay as high of taxes as possible to support abortion and gay marriage."

In each there is a semblance of truth (Republicans expressly value a hard-work ethic and liberals generally agree that higher taxes are consistent with a better nation that can support social programs). Outside of that it seems to me that neither of those statements match with the implicit or explicit beliefs of each side.

The reason I bring this up is because the INTJ forum tends to operate like this. When people do interact with their opponents they usually use straw-man logic and emote anger or hostility. Now not everyone does this on the INTJf, but enough so that I find it an unfeasible place for connecting.

Not so on INFJf. Even INTJs are more amiable and constructive in their criticisms on this site.

Are there other INTPs or INTJs here who share similar sentiment?

I appreciate the opportunity to understand more about life, the universe, and everything while here on your site.

Cheers,

Paul

There are quite a number of INTP's that have come here, and made a home of this place for very similar (if not identical) reasons. I'm sure they will come out of the woodwork over time. We welcome you guys here! We get as much out of you as you get out of us :).

Welcome!

As to your question, it could be Fe-dom, or just the general "do unto others" philosophy of the forums. When you respect others' opinions first, you'll end up getting a better blend of conversations. The downside to this could be, possibly, hypersensitivity.

You'll get a few good conversations going here, though. :D

I'm a member of INTPforum.com. It's not as good as it used to be, but it's still better than INTPcentral.

Thanks, Indigo. That's nice to see. :)

Welcome!

As to your question, it could be Fe-dom, or just the general "do unto others" philosophy of the forums. When you respect others' opinions first, you'll end up getting a better blend of conversations. The downside to this could be, possibly, hypersensitivity.

You'll get a few good conversations going here, though. :D

I can definitely deal with hypersensitivity with more aplomb than brashness or rudeness. I'm rather accustomed to hypersensitivity since I'm married to an INFJ. ;)

Reactions: christmas
I'm a member of INTPforum.com. It's not as good as it used to be, but it's still better than INTPcentral.

What has been your experience on INTPC, Peppermint?

What has been your experience on INTPC, Peppermint?

An elitist den of people so severely butthurt by real life experiences with the "non-INTPs" that mere sight of anything not showing sings of what is considered INTP by the common consensus causes immediate rise of blood pressure, face flushing and eyes bulging followed by a torrent of loud cursing and spittle flying everywhere sticking on their monitors while they furiously type out their little tantrums and frantically hit the "submit" button.

Picture for your viewing pleasure

raaaage.png

An elitist den of people so severely butthurt by real life experiences with the "non-INTPs" that mere sight of anything not showing sings of what is considered INTP by the common consensus causes immediate rise of blood pressure, face flushing and eyes bulging followed by a torrent of loud cursing and spittle flying everywhere sticking on their monitors while they furiously type out their little tantrums and frantically hit the "submit" button.

Picture for your viewing pleasure

raaaage.png

That is hilarious. Glad to see that You're still alive to see another day!

Reactions: Neuropedia
I don't like the NT forums either.

Too much "Omg like I'm INTP, and I'm like so cool because I'm like so intelligent like not those dumb extroverts like like like I hate ESFJS cause they're like so stoopid and SJ not like us like we're INTP like like like".
Just replace ESFJ for ESFP in the INTJ Forum. xD

They all seem to hate extroverts. That totally hurts my sadly existant (what a shame for a NT) feelings. :(

I don't like the NT forums either.

Too much "Omg like I'm INTP, and I'm like so cool because I'm like so intelligent like not those dumb extroverts like like like I hate ESFJS cause they're like so stoopid and SJ not like us like we're INTP like like like".
Just replace ESFJ for ESFP in the INTJ Forum. xD

They all seem to hate extroverts. That totally hurts my sadly existant (what a shame for a NT) feelings. :(

Haha. And I have met people from both types I like. My INT misanthropy levels are generally low though.

Yes, breathing is good. Oxygen for all!

One person per mask please :D

6a00e55017ae148833010536fd15ab970b-320wi.jpg

Reactions: Jana
I was also a member of INTP central and the INTJ forums. INTP central was...well... boring and the INTJ forums is home to MBTI trolls. Greetings from a fellow INTP, I'm sure you will like it here.

I have never been involved enough in any of the forums I frequent to notice such nuances. :D

The atmosphere isn't as self-absorbed. I feel like I can breathe here.

That is definitely true!

BTW, where did you find the link to test one? I'd never seen one like it and appreciated the forced dichotomies between each function.

I was also a member of INTP central and the INTJ forums. INTP central was...well... boring and the INTJ forums is home to MBTI trolls. Greetings from a fellow INTP, I'm sure you will like it here.

Thanks, Matariki! I would say my preliminary reactions are in synch with that for sure!

Looks like I gotta invite some of my NTP troll buddies here.
Too much <3ness coming.
:(

Welcome! I'm sure you'll find some discussions that will interest you here.

INTJf is nice, but the inferior Se circle-jerks annoy me to no end.
INTPf is awesome. Intimidating, occasionally creepy, but awesome.

Haven't been to INTPc, so I can't say.

I also like the atmosphere here. It's much more lighthearted than either INTJf or INTPf.