INFJ vs. INFP: Video case study of Carey Mulligan and Andrew Garfield | INFJ Forum

INFJ vs. INFP: Video case study of Carey Mulligan and Andrew Garfield

Sociacademic

Oct 20, 2012
MBTI
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Hello INFJs, I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this video.

[video=youtube;6JR3_OtpJe8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JR3_OtpJe8[/video]

Do you recognize yourselves in Carey Mulligan in this video?

Reactions: knight in battle
Wow liked this
I think I finally sort of understand the functions. I have both for sure. I think I am naturally more FI and learned to be FE.

Funny but at 20 I was pretty arrogant. Wouldn't have said so or understood it at the time, but I lived in my world and passed most people by as not worthy.

I was very concerned about the environment, humanity and injustice.
I questioned war and observed how people interact. I've always studied people and how they got along.

I guess my FE wasn't do developed because I took pride in pointing out your contradictions and might highlight something silly about you. My wife changed that. I might make things ok for you. I might not be above a white lie, but it goes very against my nature.
I am very FI dominant and not all that interested in making excuses for myself or making other's excuses ok.

Great video. Really like this analysis. It helps you see the behavior and then gives you an explanation for the interpretation.

Just like @Rferraris, I grew up with high expectations of Fe, but I was really Fi. Fe drains me.

Last edited:
[MENTION=1669]Cedar[/MENTION]

Yeah, FE drains the life out of me.
Making excuses for people and making everything ok. Just exhausting. Need a day alone or with my girl at that point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaze
I can definitely relate to the extroverted feeling more, remember we all have both introverted and extroverted feeling. There are times when I have insight to my own feelings, but very often I have now clue and it takes much contemplation to figure out the source of frustration or to even realized I'm frustrated. But I most often like to smooth things over between me and those around me. I usually smile or laugh when a person laughs even if it's not funny.

A person with extroverted feeling as their dominant function is probably going to be much better at it than me though. I identify most with Carrie's overall orientation during the video even though I probably wouldn't have looked so relaxed, but I get nervous around cameras :eek: Although, I think I would do much better during an interview like this because it looks like a more comforting and intimate environment, not so stiff looking, like most other settings I have watched.

I can't relate as much to Andrew, he seems to go on a bit too long x_x

"[INFJ's] are also not above telling white lies in order to make others feel better." lmao seriously, right on the money with that one.

This video seems biased towards Fe and against Fi. It mostly describes Fi as being selfish, and Fe as being considerate.

The analyzations may be satisfactorily correct, but the way it is worded shows bias. It pairs ideas that are considered bad or good with the respective function of bias. Subtle because there are no explicit statements that declare what is good or bad.

Last edited:
As far as Fe is concerned, I definitely resonated with Carey Mulligan; in fact, I was laughing throughout the video at seeing some of the stuff I do on a daily basis made so clear.

It's a good leap into the differences between the two types and some features of the value functions. It may have been more enlightening, however, to compare and contrast all of their functions in order to get a more comprehensive picture of what/how/why they do the things they do. Weighing Fi and Fe together does not render all of the details because they never act alone, especially as they are used in tandem with the intuitive functions (Ne/Ni, resp).

Still, I like that cognitive functions are being broken down and their subject matter shown in a clear, easy-to-follow setting. There are lots of misconceptions about them that need exorcising.

Ha. Mulligan was considered "insincere". That's too bad. If I wanted to say something "sincere" that could embarrass someone, I'd wait to do it in a one-on-one conversation.

I definitely recognized myself in her, except I would have never put my feet on a white couch in the first place. Never would have even asked. Inappropriate. Otherwise, yes. All of that. Even the white lies to make other people feel better. In that situation, I might have thought that he spoke for too long, but I would have scolded myself for thinking that and then reassured him that he was did was totally fine.

This video seems biased towards Fe and against Fi. It mostly describes Fi as being selfish, and Fe as being considerate.

The analyzations may be satisfactorily correct, but the way it is worded shows bias. It pairs ideas that are considered bad or good with the respective function of bias. Subtle because there are no explicit statements that declare what is good or bad.

I get what your saying. I guess FI is so focused on internal thinking, and as a result it is more indifferent. Not sure how to word it. I did get the feeling that FI is portrayed as selfish. Idk. Maybe it is

I definitely recognized myself in her, except I would have never put my feet on a white couch in the first place. Never would have even asked. Inappropriate. Otherwise, yes. All of that. Even the white lies to make other people feel better. In that situation, I might have thought that he spoke for too long, but I would have scolded myself for thinking that and then reassured him that he was did was totally fine.

Yeah there's a time I would do that and not ever realize. But I'm not likely to put my feet or shoes on your couch that way.

I can relate to Garfield's explanation of his views for long periods because when I get going about something personal or a feeling to express or an issue I want to talk about, I can speak forever without thinking about how the other person is feeling or responding to it until after I finish, then suddenly, like Garfield, I realize that I went on for too long, spoke the person's ear off, and then have to apologize for going on and on. :D

I can relate to Garfield's explanation of his views for long periods because when I get going about something personal or a feeling to express or an issue I want to talk about, I can speak forever without thinking about how the other person is feeling or responding to it until after I finish, then suddenly, like Garfield, I realize that I went on for too long, spoke the person's ear off, and then have to apologize for going on and on. :D

Whatever do you mean.

Reactions: Gaze
Thank you so much for the responses everyone!

Exactly which wording are you referring to? Also, what's your take on what knight in battle is saying here:

Ha. Mulligan was considered "insincere". That's too bad. If I wanted to say something "sincere" that could embarrass someone, I'd wait to do it in a one-on-one conversation.

Doesn't the lack of sincerity come across to you (o_q) as a supposed "strike" against Fe in the video?

"[INFJ's] are also not above telling white lies in order to make others feel better." lmao seriously, right on the money with that one.

Quoted for truth! :)

I might not be above a white lie, but it goes very against my nature.
I am very FI dominant and not all that interested in making excuses for myself or making other's excuses ok.

Whatever do you mean.

Rferraris, I hope you don't mind my asking, but I'm curious: Why do you identify as INFJ? It sounds to me like you relate better to Fi than Fe? (And you even describe yourself as Fi dominant?!)

Honestly until this video I really didn't know much what FI, or FE meant. Still not 100%.

I took a personality test about a year ago. Was wondering if I wanted yet another degree and if so what a good field of study might be.

I wasn't 100% comfortable with what I was originally understanding about INFJ. So I kept taking tests. Depending on my mood I might test differently, but it seems when I'm honest I type INFJ.

I don't understand the FI, FE dominance as it relates to INFJ. Don't you just need to be F.

I can see how I would express a strong FE, but I'm not a shy person and maybe it's what part of me is a guy, but I'm to the point and I don't dance around things much. I talk a lot, but I don't make excuses. While as introverted as I can be, I make friends right away. And it may be cause I am just hanging around. No pretenses and I will talk to anyone. But I won't listen to your endless excuses and make it ok for you.

The way I'm understanding it is I'm way too judging to let that happen. Very clear lines about what is right, wrong and disrespectful. No tolerance. And I push myself always. Not sure how I could be that judging and express FE the way the video does.

Don't know if that answers the question, but feel free to ask questions. My favorite subject. Me:)

I actually think your have the wrong perception of INFJ. I actually think making excuses goes against everything that is INFJ. Maybe I'm wrong. But don't think so. Half the reason I'm introverted is cause I don't want to be bothered with your stupid ass. Let alone make excuses for you.

If you're sincere, I'll help you all I can.
But you need to be honest with yourself. If you're having trouble with that, I gladly step in.

Honestly until this video I really didn't know much what FI, or FE meant. Still not 100%.

I took a personality test about a year ago. Was wondering if I wanted yet another degree and if so what a good field of study might be.

I wasn't 100% comfortable with what I was originally understanding about INFJ. So I kept taking tests. Depending on my mood I might test differently, but it seems when I'm honest I type INFJ.

I don't understand the FI, FE dominance as it relates to INFJ. Don't you just need to be F.

I can see how I would express a strong FE, but I'm not a shy person and maybe it's what part of me is a guy, but I'm to the point and I don't dance around things much. I talk a lot, but I don't make excuses. While as introverted as I can be, I make friends right away. And it may be cause I am just hanging around. No pretenses and I will talk to anyone. But I won't listen to your endless excuses and make it ok for you.

The way I'm understanding it is I'm way too judging to let that happen. Very clear lines about what is right, wrong and disrespectful. No tolerance. And I push myself always. Not sure how I could be that judging and express FE the way the video does.

Don't know if that answers the question, but feel free to ask questions. My favorite subject. Me:)

Have you considered INTJ or INFP? They both share Te and Fi. And based on your description, these seem to be your dominant functions.

I thought this video was a bit overly simplistic. I was expecting it to go on and show more examples of behavior for a bit longer. Slight bias towards Fe was also evident. The only thing Fi would've had "over" Fe according to this video, would be genuineness.

I thought the Garfield sitting thing was a weak case for Fi being shown. Why would it be considered inappropriate to put shoes on the couch if his interview partner was doing so already?

According to this video, I would probably come across as more Fe in most circumstances in my daily life.