[INFJ] - INFJ Musicians and cognitive functions | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] INFJ Musicians and cognitive functions

Jul 16, 2015
MBTI
INFJ...maybe
I'm a musician of a kind. I have a hard time attributing the things that happen with music and MBTI/cognitive functions. Maybe you have some insight into this and can help me out... Or post about your experiences creating music.

I know personally that proto-music exists in my head at all times... I can just express it/have a notion of it... even more fluidly than I can type or speak. Usually it is in the form of rhythms, sometimes melodies... and maybe chord progressions if I'm focusing on a bass line or really put in mental effort. Whenever I try to outwardly express this proto-music I never can completely capture what is in my head in a quality expression outside. The closest I can get is taping out a beat or humming. Anything that requires an interface through an instrument or even singing... just comes out rather garbled.

I can play bass guitar to a fairly decent level, but whenever I try to play what's in my head... it goes through the patterns that are easy to play on my fingers and I tend to have garbage technique. I'm an absolute noodler and can come up with random riffs and whatnot... but in a rather un-musical way.... horrible timing and technique but what I'm expressing is uniquely my own.

I'm a bit curious as to this process, and what cognitive function this is. As far back as I can remember, I've always been able to come with an accompaniment part on top of the music I hear around me... just some rhythm thing or maybe a melody. I don't know if this is Ne or Ni... It's easier for me to come up with my own little thing than follow along with the music as is.

Then there is electronic music/composing... which I also make and has a different process. This is a bit random, a bit thought out and a bit trial and error. I use my knowledge of beats and rhythm, chord progressions and serendipity to play around with stuff. I find a melody or an idea that is appealing. Then I use that as a germ to generate more ideas off of that one. I add and subtract, alter and create changes and builds and flows until it sounds good. I get into a weird state in this process... where I feel the music needs more to it... but don't know what. But it's really good so far... so I just listen to it over and over and over again trying to imagine what kind of things to add... but I don't want to ruin the music with adding stuff. I've sort of internalized a billion rules of thumb to follow in creating the music, how to make interesting bits... and can generate new ideas rather quickly.

Sometimes I have a vision of what I want to add, and focus and tweak until I find that exact sound. Or at least something close to it.

There's always a weird energy shift with this stuff. Either I'm completely unmotivated and just can't get up to make some music... or if I'm working on something and it's about done or in the middle stages I just get obsessed and can't stop working on it. I'll stay up crazy hours into the night and lose track of time while I try to make the best stuff I can.

I also have a ton of knowledge about music... music theory, technical mathematical details of music, weird structural ideas, my own sort of rhythmic theory. Which is probably an Ni/Ti combo which I try to filter it into a nice experimental yet upbeat fun way which I think is through Fe.

Anyways... I definitely don't create music in the same way as most do. I know people that have very little theory knowledge but can just play their instrument and get a feel for it with the ease that they can talk. They can play simple stuff with a ton of feeling. I have a cacophony of ideas inside my head and a ton of knowledge of how to structure and often visions of what I want to play... but expressing it is always a challenge.

This is an interesting topic. Haven't really thought about it this much, but I definitely agree with you that composing electronic music has a different process to playing music. I don't play that much, but I compose a lot. A lot of trial and error and a bit of thinking in that process. My process has some resemblance to fitting together pieces from a few different jigsaw puzzles. "Oh, I wanna include this piece too because it looks so nice." It's like solving problems that I have created myself. Ti and Ni there, yes.
Also I want my compositions to have a strong emotional element to them...maybe that's the Fe part.

This is an interesting topic. Haven't really thought about it this much, but I definitely agree with you that composing electronic music has a different process to playing music. I don't play that much, but I compose a lot. A lot of trial and error and a bit of thinking in that process. My process has some resemblance to fitting together pieces from a few different jigsaw puzzles. "Oh, I wanna include this piece too because it looks so nice." It's like solving problems that I have created myself. Ti and Ni there, yes.
Also I want my compositions to have a strong emotional element to them...maybe that's the Fe part.

Do you play in your parts with a keyboard or enter them with keyboard and mouse? I always want to do keyboard as I think that's the fastest way from idea to reality. But I'm horrible at playing I time and the pressure of even a metronome click can make me mess up. So I manual enter all my notes, and even tweak them to have expressive qualities.... It's like recreating all the work I could naturally get if I was good enough... But I can tweak until I like it and get perfectionistic in a way playing it in and quantizing does not.

Also I try to have a feeling component. I love melody and layering melodies... I wish I was better at creating long form mood and build ups. I tend to want to move on from musical ideas rather quickly.

I love to sit on the border between unlistenable, experimental noise and upbeat listenable pop music. I imagine this to be Ni verses Fe playing around. I have this True Artist sort of vision that needs to be expressed but I also want it to be well liked and listenable at the same time.

I really like music that has experimental qualities that cross over into mainstream popularity... Like Dave Brubeck's Take Five... Odd time signatures and smooth listenability often don't go together.

Do you play in your parts with a keyboard or enter them with keyboard and mouse? I always want to do keyboard as I think that's the fastest way from idea to reality. But I'm horrible at playing I time and the pressure of even a metronome click can make me mess up. So I manual enter all my notes, and even tweak them to have expressive qualities.... It's like recreating all the work I could naturally get if I was good enough... But I can tweak until I like it and get perfectionistic in a way playing it in and quantizing does not.

Haha, I thought I was the only one...I have even the same metronome problem. So yes, I feel like I've made this reverse engineering of expressive qualities a form of art in itself. These days I play stuff in and edit out the worst of the mistakes and tweak the best bits.

I love to sit on the border between unlistenable, experimental noise and upbeat listenable pop music. I imagine this to be Ni verses Fe playing around. I have this True Artist sort of vision that needs to be expressed but I also want it to be well liked and listenable at the same time.

Yes – exactly this!

Have you got any of your music online?

Haha, I thought I was the only one...I have even the same metronome problem. So yes, I feel like I've made this reverse engineering of expressive qualities a form of art in itself. These days I play stuff in and edit out the worst of the mistakes and tweak the best bits.
Yeah... so similar.

Have you got any of your music online?

Yeah I have a Soundcloud page over here... https://soundcloud.com/megapixelmusic

This probably best encompasses my upbeat experimental side
[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/megapixelmusic/nintendo-ground-party[/SOUNDCLOUD]

This one too.
[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/megapixelmusic/kellys-sweet-dinosaur[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Oh yeah this has a chiptune quality to it too... if you are into that sorta thing.
How about you, any music online? Care to show off your stuff?

Sure, here's one but there's also more recent stuff on my profile.

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/topdoctor/q[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Oh chip tunes, nice. Yeah I wanna explore with chip sounds at some point. Do you know Huoratron? Also Galaxy Wolf on Soundcloud is worth checking if you're into chip sounds.

Yeah good. You make very interesting music. Very experimental like you said. I like what I'm hearing in Galaxy Wolf.

[MENTION=13982]MegaPixelMusic[/MENTION] just let your mind run free & your fingers (on the guitar) also. Let the sounds express how you feel, and team up with others if you can. Good luck

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk