INFJ & Marketing | INFJ Forum

INFJ & Marketing

Jul 4, 2016
MBTI
INFJ
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there are any INFJ's out there doing marketing/social media work right now. If so, I'd love to hear what you think of it/how you like it. Also would like to hear any thoughts in general about whether or not marketing is a good career fit for INFJ's. I've read conflicting information about this. Most sites I've seen about career recommendations for INFJ's do list marketing but then I've also come across a few that say marketing and anything sales related should be avoided and that it goes too much against natural INFJ characteristics. I will say that the other careers listed as ones that are typically stressful/poor matches for an INFJ, are ones that I wouldn't ever (want to) do, or have and agree they definitely were stressful and uncomfortable for me.

I agree it's much easier if you see value in what you're selling or have a strong interest in it. I do think sales and marketing are different though, even if there is some overlap.

Yeah definitely, I think marketers see themselves as having significant creative abilities, while they see salespeople as having no creative abilities.

You can also look at Product Management if you want a good blend of engineering/structure, artistic/creative and social. You are your own boss but you carry many hats that you are required to wear at different times to achieve success. It is a good blend.

Reactions: Rowan Tree
Been there and done it so fuck it never going back to it.

I did social media marketing for 3 years for a specific company that was aligned with my values. I felt conflicted about the marketing edge of it, but good about the outreach edge (connecting the right people with something positive that they would be glad/grateful to know about).

I decided not to stay in social media marketing. I work as an admin consultant now, consulting on strategy and also handling select tasks, and one of my clients is asking me to handle marketing. I am not a marketing person but I believe strongly in his product and, as before, will feel good about connecting it with people who will appreciate it.

I never ever ever imagined myself doing marketing because I can't stand the idea of trying to convince someone they need something that they don't actually need (and having my effectiveness measured on my ability to do that). I just can't go there. Too inauthentic.

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there are any INFJ's out there doing marketing/social media work right now. If so, I'd love to hear what you think of it/how you like it. Also would like to hear any thoughts in general about whether or not marketing is a good career fit for INFJ's. I've read conflicting information about this. Most sites I've seen about career recommendations for INFJ's do list marketing but then I've also come across a few that say marketing and anything sales related should be avoided and that it goes too much against natural INFJ characteristics. I will say that the other careers listed as ones that are typically stressful/poor matches for an INFJ, are ones that I wouldn't ever (want to) do, or have and agree they definitely were stressful and uncomfortable for me.
I truely agree with @worthy. I am not into business or marketing but I do have such subjects in my curriculum and I tried my hands on it but i think its never gonna fit in an INFJs philosophy. It's totally opposite. I think you need to be a lil mean when it comes to marketing but infjs are selfless people and it becomes very tough. Even though you can be good at strategy planning or with your ideas but eventually you'll get to know it's not your cup of tea.

As a freelancer, I need to do a lot of... urgh... 'selling myself' and 'making my skills into a brand' and... sanity help me... 'networking.' I wish I could just be judged by my work alone. Marketing might work for INFJs, but echoing some of what is being said already, it would probably need to fit into something larger and meaningful than just advertising for advertisement's sake.

Reactions: Wyote
Yeah I think INFJs can actually excel in the branding and communication areas, but not direct marketing