INFJ Frequently Lost In Their Mind | INFJ Forum

INFJ Frequently Lost In Their Mind

Apr 11, 2012
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Five
Hi fellow INFJs, do any of you ever space out and get lost in your own head? Because that happens to me like 8 times a day and I was wondering if other INFJs experience this as well... And if any of you do experience this, what strategies have you used to stop yourself from doing this?

Any discussion would be appreciated

Reactions: AmeyT18
Yes, I find this happens to me just as much as you and I haven't really used any strategies to stop myself. meh I'm no help here but I am interested in knowing some strategies to stop myself from doing it even though I enjoy getting lost in my mind.

I too get lost in my mind, which is all right if doing something mindless, but less so if attention is needed. Staying on task or giving oneself a reasonable time limit that is still challenging might be a way to stay focused. What problems is getting lost causing you? This might help to focus a response.

I think this happens to a lot of people... and not even just Ns.

I don't know if there's much of a way to change it, but what helps me is calling upon the voice in my head of my ISTJ best friend telling me to wake up and that can help me to snap back into reality sometimes. Maybe you could also think of a real person in your life who knows how to motivate you, and imagine something similar?

When I'm alone I walk into telephone poles and trees and stuff like that really often.

One of these days I bet I'm going to walk off a cliff.

I think this happens to a lot of people... and not even just Ns.

I don't know if there's much of a way to change it, but what helps me is calling upon the voice in my head of my ISTJ best friend telling me to wake up and that can help me to snap back into reality sometimes. Maybe you could also think of a real person in your life who knows how to motivate you, and imagine something similar?

When I'm alone I walk into telephone poles and trees and stuff like that really often.

One of these days I bet I'm going to walk off a cliff.

I'm not N and what Niffer wrote here describes me too (though I don't have a way of snapping out of it other than something like someone calling my name or walking into someone.) Once I was walking along a highway and apparently zoned out and snapped out of it when I felt something hit the inside of my hand (it was holding a soda bottle or something from the top, so formed a cup shape.) I stopped and looked, and it was a bee that had apaprently crashed into me. Then I looked around and was standing in the middle of a (thankfully empty) intersection. I've done that in the woods too...a branch to the face or stepping in a hole...

Oh lawd, I used to do this all the time, still do, but to a slightly lesser degree. I'd get so lost in my head that I'd have no awareness of anything going around (both conversations and explosions could go unnoticed). I guess, though, that it was my fear (which developed over time) of the potential dangers of the world around me and feeling like I had to thoroughly observe the environment and people around me- just in case - what if I missed some stress or inflection in someone's speech that belied their true intentions, or some subtle shift the area around me that would be a game changer?

I probably (fear)ed the possibilities of the ill people can do because of some grave errors I had made concerning the character of people I had trusted. Certain that I was partially blame for experiencing what they did because I had been foolishly inattentive to my surroundings, or perhaps not focused enough to catch some tone somewhere, some rogue word, gesture, or glint of the eyes, that would have let me know what their true intentions were as soon as possible. It was my fault, for not paying enough attention, so I made myself cease getting lost in my mind as often. I still do it, but I try to maintain a balance, if I can. Sort of like, constant awareness and an intake of information merged with (or weeded out from) my view of the world, and from their my plans stay the same or shift.

When I get rare moments when I feel safe enough to relax, I do get completely lost in my mind, like I used to do often. It's then that I pull together all the loose strings that I couldn't while I was immersed in observation, make the soundest decisions, truly reflect on what has come to pass. Sometimes, in my anxiety, I replay all my actions, searching for any mistakes I could have made, replaying those moments over and over, attempting to ensure it doesn't happen again. I'm getting better at just being chill, so maybe soon that'll manifest in allowing myself to get lost in my mind more often, but I suppose we'll see. :]

I space out a lot, but I am not sure if what happens qualifies as getting lost in my head.

Thanks for the responses guys, but maybe I should be more specific... Do any of you get lost in your mind to the point where you can't pinpoint any of your thoughts? This is what happens to me...

It's almost as if my thoughts are shrouded in very foggy clouds... I can never see them, but they're there and they have meaning...

Then I guess it is time to try to figure out what the meaning is?

I space out and daydream; sometimes it's making a story, other times it's nonsensical rambling, the other it's more like observing the ongoings of my head. :|

[MENTION=5343]jordanliling[/MENTION]

Well, there are such things as a Fantasy Prone Personality and Maladaptive Daydreaming Disorder, the latter of which refers to when a patient's excessive day-dreaming disrupts or is danger of disrupting their life. You can find the article here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/9089146/E...-of-mind-wandering-and-high-fantasy-proneness.

But really, that's only if you're worried. Otherwise, it's perfectly normal for people to daydream and get lost in their head-space, regardless of their type. Some of us more prone to it than others. Particularly if you tend to be a bit of an avoider or escapist or don't have much to focus on in real life... or, you know, a writer or artist or just a creative somebody with a lot of thoughts and feelings.

What do you normally 'do' when you get lost in your head-space?

[MENTION=5343]jordanliling[/MENTION]

Well, there are such things as a Fantasy Prone Personality and Maladaptive Daydreaming Disorder, the latter of which refers to when a patient's excessive day-dreaming disrupts or is danger of disrupting their life. You can find the article here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/9089146/E...-of-mind-wandering-and-high-fantasy-proneness.

But really, that's only if you're worried. Otherwise, it's perfectly normal for people to daydream and get lost in their head-space, regardless of their type. Some of us more prone to it than others. Particularly if you tend to be a bit of an avoider or escapist or don't have much to focus on in real life... or, you know, a writer or artist or just a creative somebody with a lot of thoughts and feelings.

What do you normally 'do' when you get lost in your head-space?

I think everyone needs that time to process all the personalities they meet, the politics of everyday life.

I review my beliefs to make sure I still stand by my convictions.

I process what people say to make sure I understand. To say I'm sorry if I have to or warn you if I have to. Sometimes I don't warn you. do you know dogs will always warn you.

I think of my failures. Of what I did wrong and how to make sure I never make the same mistake again.

I spend a large body of time each day reflecting, internally lucid while my physical appearance remains frozen. It only really starts to become a problem when you're inverting your dreamy thoughts with reality in my opinion. Maybe try to acknowledge a pattern of when you do start to become in a daydream trance so you can focus on taking more control of it, if it really does feel too excessive to you.

Last edited:
Without sounding like i should be diagnosed with some psychotic disorder. I feel sometimes I am simultaneously living two seperate lives. That my one entity is in fact divided in to two seperate planes. Theres the physical, which I think myself and other INFJ know very well how to navigate. We can be very keen and aware to the various signals, energies, emotions that are being projected in to a social situation. But simultaneously I feel that while taking in these various aspects of life at any given time, my spirit, intellect, mind, whatever you want to call it, heavily disects and tries to interperat all aspects of what is happening. For example, a person i know claims to suffer from some sort of wanderlust, this person feels disconnected from every single place the are in, yet at the same time, feels driven to be a part of every place they hear or learn about, so they feel as if they wander. I can understand this, and maybe even relate, but I am trying to figure out the root of the disconnection. Part of me feels like a part of them is searching for something that may be unattainable at the moment, that maybe their understanding of the situation hasn't reached the appropriate level of awareness yet, so the picture is still "fuzzy". Or, maybe this person is waiting for something to trigger a response in them that may alter their life in such a way that the wanderlust ceases, and the opposite begins, meaning they now feel the desire to belong with what they have found, or finally feel like a piece has finally fit where it should. I find myself working these things out, trying to help them find this answer or solution, while also listening to what they are sying to me in any given conversation or dialogue, listening to each word they choose to utilize and trying to pick out subtle clues and what not. I feel the answer to anyones ailment is hidden within themselves much of the time, and I find myself trying to unlock secrets in people in this way. Can anyone relate, or should I go try to get some adderol.. har har

Yes.. especially on buses, where it is just me, the music and the view. I also find it very difficult to live in the moment or be present, its something that in trying to work on. I have random spurts and it feels so good.

Hi fellow INFJs, do any of you ever space out and get lost in your own head? Because that happens to me like 8 times a day and I was wondering if other INFJs experience this as well... And if any of you do experience this, what strategies have you used to stop yourself from doing this?

Any discussion would be appreciated

This happens often, most notably in school. It can happen to anyone -- I've seen everyone do it at some point -- since, y'know, we all have thoughts and stuff. When it was a problem, I forcibly made impossible mazes in my head to run through (replete with mythical creatures and historical events trying to kill me, too!) and eventually frustrate myself so much that I would "leave" my head and begin paying attention to, ironically, distract myself from failure.

If there's any way to make your physical environment more interesting, or simply become more engaged in it, do so. Using myself as an example: when in a class you don't care about, find a way to relate it to your life (google topics if you need to). Physics bored me to tears until I found out about electrons, light, and radiation; these let me to blend physics with chemistry, which I adore and am 'good' at. In my (limited) experience, if you can't relate to what's going on then you're less likely to pay attention. Humans are quite fickle creatures in this regard.

"Do any of you get lost in your mind to the point where you can't pinpoint any of your thoughts?"

I'm unsure why, but this strikes me as manifested escapism. A dusty room for a brain, if you will. Losing yourself in yourself by giving-no-fucks which cuts off stimulation to data and leaves trapped stagnancy. Just an initial thought, take it with a grain of salt.

Is this a forum for INFJ types.
I just notice a lot if members that post here aren't INFJs.

I go through periods of time where I space out a lot. Through the years I've learned to control it. It helps to be aware of it, and focus on the stuff around you instead of your inner monologue. It's so great to know that other people feel the same way as I do!

On and off throughout any given day, I will visually lock-on to to something (anything), and be thinking about something else, or a situation, and have little or no awareness of what my eyes are pointed at. This happens without any forethought, and as soon as I realize it, then its over.

Years ago, my friend's wife was talking and casually mentioned something about me being in one of my trances. To me it's less of a trance, and more of a very low grade vision or visualization of whatever I was thinking about.

Just today a casual friend was trying to get my attention from behind and she practically had to yell my name out. I said something like "Sorry, I was in my own world". She said, "That's okay; I just wanted to say hello. You can go back in."