[INFJ] - INFJ creative process and working methods | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] INFJ creative process and working methods

U

Untitled

This idea has popped up on some threads ( @Jupiterswoon I remember us discussing it earlier) and I think we need a thread about what is the INFJs' creative process like, how we do our work in practice and what kinds of problems and difficulties we may come across in our work. I would love to find out if there are some type specific characteristics in how INFJs in the creative fields actually work.

I have some specific questions and points I want to address to get things rolling but feel free to answer what you feel comftorable with answering or just post whatever is on your mind.

Could you describe what your creative process is roughly from idea to finished piece of work?
- How do ideas come to you?
- How much do you pre plan/ sketch?
- Do you stick to/have a schedule?
- How much do you improvise and if you do in what way?
- Do you research much?
- Are you fast or slow in working?
- Do you think your process differs from other people's?
- How do you rate your technical skill level? Are you concerned with acquiring expertise?
- Has your creative process changed with age?

Can you describe how you collaborate with others?
- How do you feel about collaborating with others on artistic projects? Any experiences you'd like to share?
- Do you like to take the lead or work under direction.
- How much creative control do you need to have?
- Describe your role in projects from your point of view. Any strenghts or weaknesses you may have?
- Do you work alone/ in a close knit small group with the same people as much as possible/ readily with anyone you wish to work with?

How do you market your art and keep connected to other professionals in your particular field?
- Do you actively market yourself and if you do in what way?
- How do you keep connected to your peers and network?

Privacy vs. publicity
- For performers: How do you feel about performing and being in front of an audience?
- How do you as an INFJ artist feel about showcasing your work to others?
- How do you deal with the public side of your work?
- How do you feel about meeting fans?

Can you describe why you do your art and what it means to you on a personal level?
- What age did you start in your field?
- Why do you do art? What does it give you?
- Do you think your art has meaning and in what way?
- What kind of things do you communicate with your art or do you aim to communicate at all?

I have a personal investment in this topic... I got into MBTI mainly because of trying to find a new career after my own artistic burnout and did find some of the descriptions of INFJs and work kind of redeeming. That and my new mindless past time has been in kind of indulging in being a hack "celebrity typer". It's really confusing and apparently hard to do as everyone disagrees on every single celebrity... ;D However more pertinent to this thread: I've come across lots of stereotyping I find really inaccurate, like "INFJs would not choose a very public profession" which is not true, though I'm sure many would not be inclined to unless they had a good reason to. So this is also either a mythbusting excercise or a confirmation of stereotyping being valid. ;D

If anyone has any other things that they've been thinking about please ask away.
I would love to hear from everyone's experiences.

I have to feel very strongly about something or I don't come up with something that is worthwhile to me or want to show to anyone. I work slowly, usually. My 'art' is composing piano-only songs and photography. Even after I've completed something I'm still not convinced that I need to show it anyone, ever. It's all really private. Sometimes I have a bit of a schedule. I've been working on a song for my kids this summer that I know I have to finish before school starts (I'm in full-time college) because then life will be too hectic for me to concentrate in the way that I need to.

I love collaborating with others when it comes to THEIR art, not mine. With mine, well, I need to be in charge. I'm a professional art model, and I love to help artists achieve their ideas with various poses/moods. I want to help them; it gives me great pleasure. I take direction well in this regard, but I must admit I do a lot of suggesting to them and take the lead in what I think it is that they want but cannot convey to me in words. I "feel" it.

In terms of composing, I would dearly love to be published someday but as it stands right now I'm just an amateur who enjoys her hobby. In terms of photography, I have a blog that I enjoy keeping up. I would like to somehow make money from photography, not sure yet. In terms of modeling, I try to keep in good contact with those artists who are willing to work with me. (I'm apparently controversial, which bores me when it doesn't anger me. This has nothing to do with my modeling abilities and everything to do with me not putting up with gossip--yawn...)

I often model nude in front of strangers. It's not easy; I still sometimes get nervous even after doing this for 4 1/2 years. However, I do enjoy it. It's good for me; there is no hiding up there on that stage with no clothes on. You just have to do it. If I made the decision to showcase my photography or songs, then I would have no problem with it. It has to be my decision, though.

Art helps me "clear out" on the inside and understand my feelings better. I need an outlet for the hurricane. I have no idea when I will feel those strong feelings that art required for me to make something from them.

I guess it's only fair I answer the million questions I posted myself, too.

Could you describe what your creative process is roughly from idea to finished piece of work?
- How do ideas come to you?
Mostly I just notice I get obsessed with a certain theme which usually relates somehow to my personal development (even if I don't know it consciously yet), an image or a myth or a line from a book etc. Sometimes I'm doing something unrelated like taking a shower and a song starts playing in my head, sometimes with a visual scene. The other type of composing is just writing in my journal when something interesting pops up in my head and going back to that when I need to write something. I also just like to play with sounds on my synths and see if I get an idea. If I'm writing lyrics for something someone else has composed I tend to take a more writerly approach and just sit down with it and see what comes to mind, what kind of images etc. I have a very visual imagination and most things look like movies in my head.

- How much do you pre plan/ sketch?

I get obsessed with a theme and usually have some kind of a concept in mind but there's room for happy accidents within the larger structure.
- Do you stick to/have a schedule?
No. I'm terrible. I try to have one but I often fail because I find it hard to take time for myself. I have done "deadlines" for myself because that helps or involving others because then I'm responsible to deliver in time.

I don't really. I don't know if that's just because of technical limitations or that I just don't. Not in public. On my own I just make up ditties and wing it. See what happens. Sometimes it just flows out, but most of the time I have a general idea of what I want to do thematically.
- Do you research much?
I can get ridiculously bogged in research where I go check a somewhat insignificant detail and end up reading three books. I also read books on anything related to music. I do find technical manuals a bit challenging. I'm not an engineer type. I can often intuitively figure out things on a need to know basis.
- Are you fast or slow in working?
I work in fast spurts over a long period of time. Much of the time is spent on trying to combat my self criticism.
I don't like to do things publicly. I like to hole up somewhere and I tend to come out with a fairly finished piece structurally. I don't really brainstorm.
- How do you rate your technical skill level? Are you concerned with acquiring expertise?
I think I'm personally patchy. I do study the technical side when I can, but I'm more feeling than perfect technique. Not that I particularly like making technical mistakes.
- Has your creative process changed with age?
I have become more decisive as to what I want and I think I'm in a place where I feel I need to not compromise for a bit. I'd also like to be less planned and more flowing.

Can you describe how you collaborate with others?
- How do you feel about collaborating with others on artistic projects? Any experiences you'd like to share?
I find it hard to collaborate as I tend to be a bit domineering as ideas go.
- Do you like to take the lead or work under direction.
I either like to be in charge or if I'm working in someone else's production to have a clear defined role.
- How much creative control do you need to have?
On my own projects a lot... generally a lot. I can do 50/50 if let' s say lyrics are mine and songwriting the other's job but I don't really take suggestions very graciously unless they get what I'm going for or the suggestion is really good. ;D
- Describe your role in projects from your point of view. Any strenghts or weaknesses you may have?
I think I'm good with a sound overall picture and novel ideas. I find I can make things intricate and complex on meaning, but I'm a little dictatorial and about as co-operative as a herd of cats. My perfectionism can be hard to live with and the fact I'd rather do something a 100 times to get it where I want it to be or not at all. Unless the mistake sounds good. The compromises I've had to make because it wasn't my call still make me cringe from some takes to mixing to stage concepts. I really find it hard to live with things that I've felt coerced into.
- Do you work alone/ in a close knit small group with the same people as much as possible/ readily with anyone you wish to work with?
I have only worked in groups but next project I do I'm going to be the dictator. The nice dictator. I will make every minion tea. ;D I think I have no place in budding into people's area of expertice when it comes to their instrument but as for final call and overall direction I'm going to be boss next time. ;)

How do you market your art and keep connected to other professionals in your particular field?

- Do you actively market yourself and if you do in what way?
No. I'm terrible. But I usually pick some more extroverted types to work with so that I don't have to that much. I have written press releases and PR so that I'm comfortable with. I do plan how things will be done and such but I kind of need help to execute. I don't really like marketing...
- How do you keep connected to your peers and network?
I like spending time with people I meet that I connect with. I'm terrible at keeping in touch but people are usually very nice about it. I think if I find someone with talent and potential and I can help out I love to be in some small small way able do that and I have been helped too by some older colleagues.
Privacy vs. publicity
- For performers: How do you feel about performing and being in front of an audience?
I love it though I was terribly shy at first. It's a great thing though. I love the energy of a good crowd when things fall in to place. I do hate to perform songs I don't like (in groups it wasn't always worth the fight to veto every song I didn't like for harmony's sake) or relate to. It makes me feel awful.
- How do you as an INFJ artist feel about showcasing your work to others?
Group efforts I have no problem with because I feel I'm helping others but when it's just myself I'm kind of terrible with because the work is so personal it's like showing my soul and asking if anyone likes it. I really like for someone else to do it for me if someone gets excited. I'm not really a great promoter of myself.
- How do you deal with the public side of your work?
I think it's hard to have people gossip about you for entertainment and it's never nice when strangers come over to say hateful things to you, but I think you also get people's ear which is good, so you can talk about things that matter sometimes.
- How do you feel about meeting fans?
Meeting someone who likes your work is to me at the same time incredibly meaningful fulfilling and also extremely uncomfortable, mainly because I often feel that I'm kind of a mouthpiece for some type of a transpersonal collective subconscious type of a theme and it's not really me that does much, if it makes sense. It's hard to take credit. It's also because people give songs a vastly different meaning than you had in mind originally. It's what's supposed to happen. It's a gift to be able to give things to people that spark something in them and they are giving you a gift by taking it to their personal space. I don't know. It's weird.

Can you describe why you do your art and what it means to you on a personal level?

- What age did you start in your field?
I originally drew. That was what I was good at. I do it for fun at times but nothing serious. I did start and stop with music several times, but it was discouraged by my family. I think for Fe-ers a tiger mom could be helpful for developing talent early on. ;D I find I became more motivated with some teachers who believed in me and put more effort into it, though I have little formal training. In my early twenties I got into my first proper band and I put in serious hours for ten years. I feel like a late bloomer though. I feel like now in my early thirties I'm finally beginning the real work in some sense.
- Why do you do art? What does it give you?
Meaning.
- Do you think your art has meaning and in what way?
I'm not sure. Had a huge philosophical crisis on the subject and am taking a holiday from said crisis.
- What kind of things do you communicate with your art or do you aim to communicate at all?
I do sometimes want to say something, though it tends to come out a bit nebulous. Sometimes it's a straightforward social commentary. Sometimes a mood piece. Sometimes a tiny story. Some things are more personal. Lately I've been writing very honest and open personal songs.

Last edited by a moderator:
- How do ideas come to you? Most often by inspiration by another person or place.
- How much do you pre plan/ sketch? I don't think about it. When I'm inspired I automatically know what to paint/draw. So, maybe an hour?
- Do you stick to/have a schedule? Only during commissioned portraits. In painting I leave everything out on the dining table, so it begs to be completed.
- Do you research much? Sometimes. With my animal portraits I am sometimes given horrible pictures, so I do a little research and find other pictures online similar to the beast I am drawing.
- Are you fast or slow in working? Errr. What is fast? lol An 8x10 pencil portrait would take me roughly 8 hours to complete. A painting would take less. I probably spend the most time at the end obsessing over the details.
- How do you rate your technical skill level? Are you concerned with acquiring expertise? In my pencil portraits, I would rate myself very high. In painting, very low but that's b/c I've just begun to learn to paint (watercolor.) Most say I don't give myself enough credit.
- Has your creative process changed with age? Not really. I don't have as much time as I used to have.

- Do you actively market yourself and if you do in what way? I used to be a part of an online community message board. 80% of my customers came from there, 20% were referrals. I did have a website for awhile and had some out of state requests ... not interested in going down that road again, it gets too complicated with taxes. Even though there are several other artists in my area, I am the only one who was looking to do commissioned work. That's one of the nice things about artists, they may specifically like my work and not another (and visa versa.)

- What age did you start in your field? I have "doodled" or created art since grade school.
- Why do you do art? What does it give you? It gave me a feeling of accomplishment. It made me happy to see my mother frame my art to display in the house. It captures a memory.
- Do you think your art has meaning and in what way? My portraits absolutely. Normally it is of a pet that died.
- What kind of things do you communicate with your art or do you aim to communicate at all? With my paintings, I like to paint things that make me smile. The paintings I have done so far all have meaning to me and tell a story.