INFJ - Commitment Phobia? Or Just not into me. | INFJ Forum

INFJ - Commitment Phobia? Or Just not into me.

Mar 12, 2016
MBTI
ENFP
Hi INFJs!

I'm an ENFP, and in typical ENFP have fallen head over heels for an INFJ boy. We met about four months ago online, hooked up and we had a lovely time. A month in or so before I asked where this was heading, he said he liked me but its better for him to see how things go - rushing never worked well for him (also he came out of a 10 year relationship about 2 years ago)

2 months in an he gets offered a job in another city miles away. I get upset, because he doesn't seem to know what to do. He really enjoys being with me but can't bring himself to commit 100% and he doesn't know if its 1. Whether it's me or 2. The unsettling circumstances knowing that he will be leaving in a few months. His head goes back and forth all the time, telling him it's right, other times to step back. He doesn't know if things would work out, he doesn't want to hurt me and he really doesn't know what he wants. Hence for now the best he can be for me is a friend. Sex has all but gone, because I don't think he's comfortable hooking up at this stage. However, I still stay over and at his and snuggle couple of times a week, we text all the time, and kiss each other hello and goodbye and he has his arms around me when we go out. Its like an awkward strange sort of undefined relationship. We go on holiday and it's brilliant, but when it comes back, sometimes I sense a little distance again. He tells me all about his friends, but I've never met them. However his family is visiting and he says I can see them.. if I want to.

This goes on for a month or so, and it forces me into asking him what our status is, and whether he wants me to follow him to this new city, or are we just ending it when he leaves. And not surprisingly - He replies with this "That's a really good question but somewhat difficult. I mean I wish I could answer this with any sort of conviction and clear understanding. You've seen that i don't thrive particularly well under uncertainty. Or, I should say parts of me don't thrive well in those circumstances. In a way I like putting myself under these type of situations because I feel proud at clawing myself out and figuring how to make things work. But is not conducive for building stability which is a pre-requisite for relationships. What I'm trying to say is that its very difficult for me to say what will happen. I wish it wasn't this way, but I know myself and I don't want to say and promise things that I don't know for certainty That said I'm happy to give it a try if you want to come to New York and we can see if things work out from there. I know this is a bit vague, and not like a clear "this is what will happen" but I just want to be as honest and realistic as possible."

I asked him if he was happy hanging out with me as a person "Yeah I think it was very nice. I think we get along really well and I like that its very straightforward and easy spending time with you."
(uh, it sounds more like a friend thing!?)

Am I being a fool in wanting to move to another country to see how things work out with him? I really really like him, but I honestly don't know if he's just not really into me at all.... and how long I should be dithering around just letting him set the pace, and waiting :( He said he will go to NYC and get his bearings before letting me know when is good to come over. I'm just scared as well he's going to go over, and think that me joining him is a terrible idea...

Thank you so much for having read through all of this! I know it's long! I will really appreciate any insights :) and happy to answer any questions or in someway help anyone if I can as well.

I don't know. If you're sure he's INFJ, I mean, Ni is all about passion and intensity. Love for Ni is measured in passion. If you can't see the fireworks, I don't know if you should go chasing the horizon. Just IMO.

The ugly truth: He is not in love with you. You are a comfortable friend with benefits. Personally, I think he will eventually leave you when he falls in love with someone else. That would be horrible if you move to be with him and he drops you.

He's not into you

Doesn't even sound infj to me.

He doesn't sound INFJ to me, either. If he is, he is not into you. We are cautious about opening up, but when we are really in love it is 100% dedication, loyalty, passion.

Reactions: t5juyt
I don't know. I can see myself in this situation. Keep in mind we are only hearing one side of the story. There have been several times where I've been really into someone but reserved about pushing things because of external factors. It really isn't a black and white "LOL I'M EITHER 100% INTO YOU OR 0% GOOD LUCK".

The pessimistic route is that he's not into you, period.

The optimistic route is he's into you but has realized that a relationship simply isn't likely due to the circumstances, and as such as put you in a friend-zone of sorts.

I don't know about you, but I thrive on stability and thrive on knowing where I'm going to be within the next year not only location wise but relationship wise as well. I'm going through a similar thing at the moment, and planning on doing a big move when the summer comes around. This has put all sorts of screwy stress not only on my non-romantic life but my romantic interests as well. As such it's been hard for me to find motivation to push any sort of deep connections with anyone, let alone a relationship.

Fact is, he could very well be in a position where he does really like you but isn't sure if you fit into where his life is heading in the future, which is why not been just hard cutting off your advances. I've literally been exactly there before. He could like the idea of being in a relationship with you, but knows it needs a lot more time to mature into a serious relationship, time he doesn't really have considering the move. An INFJ that has gone through a serious 10+ year relationship is going to be extremely aware of this, and will likely not fall/allow for the "only true love is real love" trap. He's going to be someone who wants to get involve with people he likes very slowly. I think that "100% or not at all" attitude has more to do with a naive outlook on relationships than a serious "INFJ trait". I know it is something I outwardly don't try and cultivate anymore at all.

These things are complicated.

It sounds a bit like he was emotionally unavailable to begin with. What with the break-up of his long-term relationship a couple of years ago. Then, on top of that came the distance. The fact that he's quite happy to move so far away from you has probably made him further realise that he's just not ready for commitment. Commitment at this point would be a bigger thing than if he remained in your current city. It all sounds like bad timing.

I was moving around for a few years and had a couple of short relationships. I knew that I'd eventually have to move away from that person and although it did bother me a little, it didn't stop me either. I think I was emotionally unavailable at the time. I was moving and prioritising myself (and my need to move for work), no matter what.

More recently I was more concerned about potential moves. I think I might be healing. My current job has just been made permanent and I feel more determined than ever to meet someone and settle down. Typically, I recently met someone who will probably be leaving the country in September. I felt that I would move to be with him, and leave my family and life behind. He was concerned about it from day one and has expressed he doesn't want a relationship (but wants to keep seeing me). I can't decide whether or not he's emotionally unavailable or that knowing he might be leaving has hindered his emotional progress with me. He is an INTJ, and they're too f**king logical! :p

So not an INFJ sort of taking awhile to lower his guard sort of situation then? :( I feel a fool.

Don't feel like a fool, just cut your losses. I think Scientia has a point. If someone can't decide if they want to be with you, and you're not ok with that sort of arrangement it's best to drop them and move on before you become too invested in the person.

it's best to drop them and move on before you become too invested in the person.

tumblr_lncyh7xCFG1qf9jcfo1_500.gif

It takes time to develop strong feelings. To fall in love with a person and not the idea of one. Love is often confused with chemistry which will pass after a while.

I think he means just what he says. He wouldnt lie about that as an Infj...if he does, he's a cock and everyone deserves someone who wants to be with them.