INFJ: best type for understand humans? | INFJ Forum

INFJ: best type for understand humans?

Arising Tale

Regular Poster
Sep 22, 2014
MBTI
ENTJ
I think and so I ask: are INFJs the best type for understanding humans?
The best for explaining it? (I mean is it hard to communicate with current language?)

Are INFJs best at both: Macro-Psychology (entire populations) and Individual understanding? Or just one of them?

Lastly, how broadly do INFJs have this skill (guessing it's very rarely)

Context: I am a purpose driven and seek to direct people towards productive ends. I am unsatisfied by how the semantics of the previous sentence reflect my intended meaning, english is my 3rd.
My highest passion. Those ends are moral.
I have seen ENFJs able to hit the bulls-eye where sheep support the leadership they demand.

Last edited:
These are difficult questions to answer. (I typed my entire response them accidentally hit cancel so this may be a bit shorter) but basically, and others may disagree with what I'm saying, I believe infjs are more prone to understanding than other groups but not necessarily the best at doing it. While we may have more natural talent than other types it can be left undeveloped. And as far as group vs individual, I myself am better at individual understanding because it's just them and their thoughts and emotions, which is already complex to figure out but an entire society is much harder because every person has different thoughts and emotions about many different things. Classifying an entire group is possible but may be a hit to us to know that some people in a population disagree with the 'main thought' and are unfairly classified. I have the skill of understanding individuals and while it can make things worse it's not something I can turn off and on like a switch. And so rather I want it to or not it applies to my entire life. So, the simplest way I can answer all of these questions is: 1. Yes, we have a strong inclination towards understanding 2. My guess would be best at individual understanding. 3. Infjs are already rare and as a group I would guess most infjs have this skill. As far as how broadly singular infjs apply the skill is up to them but I apply it in all of my life.

I hope that helped! Oh and I hope I understood the sentence like you meant it and good luck leading others! Three languages are very impressive what are the other two? Hope I helped and good luck with all of your intentions!

there is no "best type" for understanding people. People are people and certain ones have talents for that kind of thing, others don't.

I believe I understand the foundational reasons humans are what they are. However emotions throw a chaotic element in that im not sure can ever be fully mapped out. So while I understand one I do not understand the other. I think all and all though I understand well.
Intj btw

You can't get any more humanistic than INFJs - although there are many shades and varieties of INFJs. I think you will benefit from conversing with a mature and developed INFJ for those type of questionings. For macro psychology - INFJs who have traveled and have a more worldy sense can give you insight on larger perspectives. On a personal level - all depends on how you prefer you personally relate to infjs. very subjective.

ive been told that ENTP and INFJs are the total polar opposites but work very well together if they learn to harmonize their dominant and weaker functions. Also been told that the mystical understandings of an INFJ drives ENTPs crazy and apparently not in a good way.

Isn't Intuition essentially perceiving the (generally) unconscious aspect in things?

It's not coming from nowhere, it's from the personal or collective unconscious. Whether we accept what we come to know seemingly automatically or twist it to suit our ego determines what becomes of us and whether we help humanity understand itself better.

I didn't accept myself and so projected outwardly and became more interested in macro-psychology because I couldn't trust other people while I wasn't acting authentically myself and so wasn't very interested in them and never got that experience of having someone proclaim I'd read their mind. However, I have 'rediscovered' several ideas relating to psychology and spirituality without any prior knowledge (as far as I know). Eventually it came back to the individual level and since I am able to relax about the macro-situation, I just need to focus my will on the personal level (since macro is now escapism) and I can only presume I will become comfortable trusting my intuition in interpersonal relationships again.

I wouldn't say we are, since we do tend to judge those who we feel aren't honest to others as well as themselves. However, we TRY to be understanding to all people. I think that makes us different from other types.
I feel like I'm stereotyping INFJs in general to be this way. Let me just say this is how I feel is the right answer to your question.

Last edited:
Cornerstone said:
Isn't Intuition essentially perceiving the (generally) unconscious aspect in things?

That definition works for Jungian intuition yes; however, it is much less accurate when describing what qualifies as intuition in the MBTI.

Now, which is correct? Neither, really. In the big picture, intuition is one of those things that has been used to describe a lot of things. Actually you could argue that in one way, NTJ types are less likely in certain situations to go with their intuition, if by that we mean their gut hunches, because gut hunches are something that may be followed by the more concrete-oriented, less imaginative types of people as well. Just consider for example what it means when someone won't listen to any rational argument you make to them, because their gut just tells them otherwise.

Intuition as expressed by Jung though is specifically the realm of imagination, possibilities, and the unconscious. You can picture it as if the unconscious is the womb for what can become conscious. Jung is notorious, however, for over-associating abstraction, i.e. the extraction of that which removes irrelevant factors and differences, to what are called archetypes of the collective unconscious, which is the chief feature of his introverted types, probably because he was somewhat overly fixated on those who were driven by inner events versus those driven by outer ones.
I get the sense he was right about associating abstraction to a kind of highly internal knowledge, but that he over-associated this to the unconscious in his writings and underemphasized the role of reason -- albeit he almost always had the right ideas somewhere, and did acknowledge the thinking function's role to this end.

So what's most romantic? INFJ, ENFJ or INTJ?

The best for explaining it? (I mean is it hard to communicate with current language?)

Are INFJs best at both: Macro-Psychology (entire populations) and Individual understanding? Or just one of them?

Lastly, how broadly do INFJs have this skill (guessing it's very rarely)

Context: I am a purpose driven and seek to direct people towards productive ends. I am unsatisfied by how the semantics of the previous sentence reflect my intended meaning, english is my 3rd.
My highest passion. Those ends are moral.
I have seen ENFJs able to hit the bulls-eye where sheep support the leadership they demand.

Don't bother asking people these sorts of questions; most people don't have the objectivity to give an honest answer

The best way to try and gain the answer you seek is to listen to the viewpoints of as many people as you possibly can whilst also taking note of their MBTI

Also bare in mind that on MBTI sites some people are not showing their correct MBTI in their profile....the INFJ type seems to attract INFJ wannabes or INFJ-haters who disguise themselves as INFJ's so that they can try and tear down INFJ's on INFJ forums (wolves in sheeps clothing). So study the content of people posts over a period of time and that way you will get a more realistic view of what their MBTI is and on how much of a handle on the world and people they have.

I've been doing this for years and i'd say that generally the INFJ's tend to have a better handle on people and on how the world works than many other types; they tend to have higher emotional intelligence for example. So whereas an NTJ might be scientifically clever and build a nuclear bomb an INFJ would realise that it is not a good idea to fill the world up with things that can destroy the world

At the same time there are types who resent INFJ insight and will strongly deny that INFJ's have any greater insight (this stems from their own insecurity)...but if you then read those peoples posts you find that they are as dull as brick

The proofs in the pudding not in the bullshit opinions that people spout...and the internet is FULL of opinion but there are not so many people around who can actually explain in depth why they hold their opinion

For some bizarre reason many people seem to think their uninformed opinion has some sort of value

Last edited:
Thanks, does this also apply to http://www.infjs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29798&p=813139#post813139?
On the scale of our world, how good or bad people are? Are you well informed?

You shouldn't just blindly listen to what i say either

This was the point of my previous post....we are all conditioned by different things which then create prejudices that colour our view of things

So what people say when asked questions will not always be an objective thing because often it will be subjectively coloured by our experiences or by our particular societal/cultural/relgious brainwashing

In fact many people are running away from various truths or running towards untruths.

So asking people for their opinion is only of a certain value.....really you have to do the hard leg work of analysing over a long period of time to get a more accurate view

As Jung said: “The foundation of all mental illness is the unwillingness to experience legitimate suffering.”

Many people refuse to face reality even if it makes them sick

That's what I am doing. Analyzing. Now please stop worrying about it. I don't blindly do anything. I am impartial. I don't classify things on 2 sides.
I'm trying to get data here. So if you can help by answering my 3 questions (or just 1 about how you qualify to answer them). It seems to me that you are reluctant to share wisdom(if you have any worthy of sharing), worry not, I am not the common man and will not miss use it.

Besides, I have never understood many of people's bad retarded sides. Why do people ''In fact many people are running away from various truths or running towards untruths. '' and ''Many people refuse to face reality even if it makes them sick ''.

Why do people ''In fact many people are running away from various truths or running towards untruths. '' and ''Many people refuse to face reality even if it makes them sick ''.

People are told lies from the moment they are born

They then grow up believing those lies to be truth

This process of making people believe things that aren't true is called 'conditioning'

The people in power do this to keep people weak, ignorant and easily controlled

Most people then speak from the level of awareness that they operate from

When they are told something that doesn't then gel with their outside world it creates 'cognitive dissonance' which manifests as anxiety. Mental 'health problems' are created by anxiety. Too much anxiety causes mania

Many people become anxious and mentally unwell because their conditioning makes their entire world view a giant lie; on some level they know that something is not right but because they have been conditioned to see the world a certain way they cannot adjust their world view to bring it into alignment with reality

As a result many people live with cognitive dissonance that manifests as anxiety (mental health 'disorders')

They would rather live with that anxiety and medicate it with emotion dulling drugs like serotonin uptake inhibitors than adjust their world view to see the world more as it really is; serotonin uptake inhibitors block the free flow of energy from the conscious to the unconscious mind so a lot of negative energy can build like water behind a dam which eventually bursts forward in the shape of extreme behaviour or suicidal depression because it has not been processed properly

The problem with doing that is not only that they do not treat the cause of their anxiety (only the symptoms ie the anxiety) but also because they do not face reality about what is going on it also means that society never develops enough people required to make positive change

So they don't just hold themself in quiet desperation they also keep society from moving forward

These people can be heard parroting their conditioning for example they are often in favour of wars (benefits the military industrial complex) or vaccines (benefits big pharma: big pharmaceutical corporations) or they believe everything the mainstream media tells them (benefits media corporations) etc

The main reason they do this is because they have been conditioned to have a slave mentality where they see theselves as small people with no power. Things will only change when enough people come from an expanded state of awareness where they realise that if enough people resist the system they can overcome it

But nothing will change as long as everyone sees themself as alone and powerless

Once peoples see themselves as part of a bigger picture and realise that they can play a part in that larger picture...then their power is realised and the picture changes

So the aim of the system is to condition people to keep them of low self esteem, ignorant of the truth, confused, anxious, divided within themself and feeling powerless

Last edited:
Theoretically, I'd say ENFJs. I think Fe is much more crucial in understanding others than Ni. I'm talking about understanding individuals. I'm not sure what the other thing is.

This is tricky. People only understand as far as someone else allows them to understand. From what I understand sometimes INFJ's unintentionally initially put barriers between them when trying to understand others, maybe out of fear of not being understood back, so they may not get the degree of reciprocation they are looking for in order to understand someone. But I agree with [MENTION=12656]Elegant Winter[/MENTION], a type with leading Fe may have an easier time with this. But anyone is capable of it...

Right on what interests me(unless your hiding something even bigger), now I will find out about serotonin uptake inhibitors or simply keep my inference from your text.
But if someone is initially healthy enough he will regenerate from the lies (dissonance -> Growth) instead of degenerating with the combo of problems you mentioned (anxiety+dissonance->reluctance+dissonance+anxiety).
I assume you are one of those.

Next: How do we fight against this plague? Please give me more understanding.
If an INFJ knew, would it be done yet?

I personally think no type is exactly the best (because we're talking about a huge group of people), but a lot of INFJs are disproportionately capable of understanding this; whether in macropsychology or sociology or gastrology or macroeconomy or politics-- or within more individual lens.

But other types can also achieve the same result in their own ways, I would believe.

Because INFJ are statistically the rarest of the types that would give them an objective cultural lense into all of humanity. Or perhaps they would simply be lost and confused but others might benefit from watching them wander around aimlessly bumping into things. I know I sure do! lol this forum is priceless! :)

Last edited: