[INFJ] INFJ & Being Denied Having a Relationship

Mjolnir06

Two
Aug 21, 2020
Terra
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
I hope this isn't triggering for anyone, just some sad stuff here. Warning in advance so I don't hurt anyone if they are prone to depression. Just trying to make sure how I am reacting to this is "normal."

For those INFJ's out there who were denied a chance to have a serious relationship by their parent(s), whether because of a priority set FOR you such as studying, earning money, a specific career, etc throughout your public school years or even onward during your university life (taking distance courses or having family intervene often while living away from home), how did this effect you? Did it ever work out that you found someone and achieved a relationship, a family? Did they ever back down? How did you get around it?

For those INFJ's that were lucky and did not have this happen to them, can you please hypothesis how this might have effected you?

Would you be very depressed, would you be very angry at yourself (or specific others), would you hold a grudge, would you be snappy at people (even those that aren't involved in the problem), would you turn bitter to the world, would you isolate even more? Would you be "turned off" of having a relationship? If not then what?

Who here (INFJ's) sees a love life (the relationship, not so much just sex) as a cornerstone of their overall life, of their "future oriented" self? As the central piece? What other "big ticket" things do you live for?

The following is more about my specific situation, if you can please answer the above first before reading the rest as to not let it influence you...thanks.

I've now had my family (well one divorced parent and fellow siblings) drive off all three of the relationships (all long-distance) I have tried to have, all in my university years and afterwards. Two of these were for three years each before my family took them serious and intervened "on my behalf" by "counseling me on my options." One relationship they told me is "not the life we want for you" and "you can't take care of her" because she was unable to walk and needed a motorized chair to be mobile due to a muscle disease. After she managed to visit my hometown once, three years into the relationship, I was pressured into giving up that relationship by constant shaming of my own physical weakness/stature, that I could never "afford" to look after her, etc. I believe that if you really care about someone things can be worked out, but no they wouldn't have it. I was too young to stand up for myself then, with low selfesteem and un-confident in relationships.

Another relationship they flat out told me and her we weren't in love because we had never met yet and people can't fall in love over a distance, it was just "infatuation." My family also worried I would move to where she was living and so made sure her family didn't approve of me in return, before I even had the chance to meet them, thus ending the relationship. In her culture family approval was important. I was told I didn't plan ahead, what would happen if she couldn't come here, what would I do then? So don't even bother try, is the underlying tone I received. We didn't have a chance to actually meet yet to SEE if we could make things work. Aren't you suppose to take one step at a time?

The most recent relationship was for six years, some trouble with country passport restrictions meant we couldn't meet up as soon as planned around years 3&4. My family thought the relationship would just fizzle out. However when things started to fall in place for us to meet my family started attacking my girlfriend's credibility saying prejudice things, and even claiming she was a "scam artist" since our government puts out warnings of such activity from the country she hails from. I had to warn my girlfriend about their behavior and that made it even worse and their attacks were more frequent and stronger after they all knew this was said. We both did everything we could think of to back up her life story, identity and true feelings (without seeming to be infatuated, but actually serious.) She was told first to wait several months, than half a year and finally a whole year before visiting me "to prove her loyalty" as I had so much do to! My mother went so far as to denying me to fly to her country as it was unsafe (and she would make my life hell if I tried) and saying she would travel with me (or rather follow without my consent) wherever I went to meet her otherwise. Their reasons she had to wait also included that I had to focus on my career after coming out of university to get a decent permanent position (interviews), and everything else in between down to needing to get my car tires changed and car undercoated for winter was cited as excuses to prevent me from traveling to see her. They said anything they could to make the relationship seem "difficult" from the outset, making sure she overheard phrases during our skype chats like "that if we got married I had to have a 'prenub' to make sure she didn't get half 'my stuff and money', etc" and other rather rude comments at the relationship stage of things. Again I was told I don't know my own feelings and we can't be in love if we never met. Lines and lines of shaming and guilt attacks: "I guess you don't love us anymore, maybe you wish we were better off dead." No one can withstand such abuse or waiting around forever for a relationship. I feel guilty for hurting those I loved and "wasting their life, feelings of love," because of what my family has done to them and me. I have made some of them wait for me far longer than they should, trying to smooth things over first and not loose them or my family, but also I didn't have a choice.

My family is divorced, my aging mother and one sibling needs some moderate home care, but has no one left in the family that will supply it other than myself and one other sibling. Most of these attacks are 4 on 1 against me, and I am the "angry, lost, blind, bad" one in them all. Both myself and one other sibling have been forced into a codependent relationship through years of "sheltering" and "shaming/guilt tripping" and well "many other factors/situations" outside the family relationship dynamic, that have befallen me or us, and since she has no one left, I am left with little choice but to maintain the connection that hurts me so.

I feel I don't have much time left to start a serious relationship in time to have a family, as I know past a certain age it is less healthy for newborns if the parents are older. It takes me years to open up enough to start a serious relationship, and much longer to find someone worthy of one, given my abysmal relationship skills from my upbringing. That said after all I have been through, the hurt I feel I have caused others, and the hurt I have myself I am very much turned off having a relationship at all right now. It will take sooo long to recover from just that!

Please, please no comments about "Grow up!, Man up!, Tell them to f*** off. Get out of there! Your too old to let people tell you what to do, etc" you don't know me, you don't know what other factors and misfortunes have befallen me or my family, ailments, disabilities, natural events (fires, floods, etc), housing situations/available work, just about anything else that have influenced or helped to pin me to this condition and family dynamic, living nearby and forced to continually deal with these poisonous relations on an everyday basis, without much of a chance for escape. Trust me I have tried cutting ties, but I am still required to lend aid and assistance as a caretaker, as a result my life is never my own but constantly meddled with.

Reactions: Asa and Wildfire
My family hasn't explicitly denied me opportunities to date but when you grow up poor, you've got to work hard just to do things that the middle-class take for granted.

I've never had a lot of time to just have fun, I've always had to think about my next move.

Even on dates I'm not always there because work or school comes to mind.

Could you start by setting certain days of the week you are available to help them? That way you have some of your week as your own time. I don't imagine it will be easy but there must be a way to set boundaries with them and then stay firm in those boundaries. Because it seems like as it is, you will never be free to live as you choose and love who you choose. I would guess part of the reason why your family sabotages your relationships is because they know that if you do find someone to settle down with, you are then bound to that person first--which is natural because that's who you make your family with. They don't want to compete with that.

Last edited:
while you are absolutely correct that we dont know you or your situation, you did come here presenting a situation asking for advice. While you dont want to hear,"it's time to leave, or you need to decide for yourself". . really are the decisions you need to make. your family can not dictate the terms of your life unless you grant them that right and power.
so, you really do need to listen to what you do not want to hear. I have been around others in this type of situation, and the truth is, if you were not around, they would find the help they need. this is really a tough choice, yet you need to make it . .

I don't know how old you are, but I was 42 when we got married.
As an INFJ I tend to have a harmonious, peaceful relationship with all people.
But over the years I have also realized that people have often just used me.
That made me very sad later when I realized this. There are people who use
your loyalty and willingness to sacrifice only for their own benefit.
Unfortunately this can happen to you from all sides.
From your family as well as in your relationships.

It is stuff like this that in the end it is better to wait until one is really ready vs how most do it especially extroverts where it all becomes a demolition derby of the human soul. As for being denied the opportunity welcome to 2020 and it is not like one is missing out on much given how toxic dating is these days.

I wouldn't exactly call us in poverty, more lower middle-class to middle-class, but the medical bills for my sibling, and increasingly my aging parent have certainly held us back, along with costly other events that occurred at random/by fate. It never helped that my father left when I was 9 and didn't have to pay child support for five kids, three of us even hired our own lawyer when I was 13. In fact it was much the opposite effect he ended up getting a lot out of us comparatively, and never talked to us again running off to the other side of the country. All of us were even forced to live with him for awhile two separate times, in different sibling shifts given he didn't have enough space to accommodate us all and someone needed to stay to help with my younger brother. My four older siblings and I all had to work very had to afford our own education and upbringing, missing out on a lot of the traditional coming of age stuff (proms, dances, sleepovers, relationships, owning a vehicle, etc) for most of our young lives. In fact at one point I was working 6 separate jobs at once, and held down 4 simultaneously for over a decade. I'm on 3 right now. I learned to live with little rest and basically no me time. So I can certainly relate to what "Pin" says about never having a lot of time to just have fun, work and money were always top dog. Still to this day anything considered unnecessary is commented on harshly. It didn't help that my younger sibling with Down Syndrome relayed primarily on my sister and I growing up, hence why I cannot leave and break ties as he often depends on the two of us now, like when we were younger and my parent always had to be off working.

My sister still stays with our mother and my younger brother, but I am "on call" at all times living just up the road in a rental, and my younger brother expects me to maintain a frequent connection. As I have said, I can't just leave, it isn't that simple.

"acd": We tried a "scheduled" affair that worked for a number of years when I was out of university, however I have been taken advantage of and my sister (totally brainwashed by my mother and will perpetually always be single and stay with her) and I are left to pick up the care taking the rest of the family has slowly pushed away from. It doesn't help that my career revolves around this, so I am told I am naturally the one who should handle it. I feel it is just how you say: "they know that if do find someone to settle down with, [I am] then bound to that person first" and they don't want me stepping down acting as primary care giver. They are selfish and don't want me going anywhere. I have to be "safe" and always nearby.

"Aneirin": You are correct that I am searching for answers, and I am also looking for just hope. So many of my dreams/goals have been crushed because my family won't let me do anything they deem risky, that will possibly postpone or separate me from the care I provide. Not that they often do actually try to stop me, but they are very vocal and sometimes throw up roadblocks to discourage me or involve others to try and shut me down for them. Other mild examples are they don't want me visiting certain urban communities as "something could happen to you" and I discovered my movements were tracked before (they gave me a dashcam as a gift and were hawking the video to see where I was), anytime I am on the phone at the family home or when they visit they grill me with 20 questions as if talking to anyone they don't know is dangerous, I also get ridiculous statements all the time like "I don't want to see you walking on ____ street again as you might get attacked by this dog that lives there." The constant intruding in my daily life and paranoia that something will happen to me that will prevent me from being there for my brother's care is very aggravating, demeaning and will certainly get to you after awhile even if they can't physically stop me. But I can't stop them them either, such as following me around, checking that I am at work when I say I am (or not), etc.

COVID has also wrecked a lot of my career goals and options, so I am beset on multiple fronts. It isn't so much that I don't want to hear,"it's time to leave, or you need to decide for yourself" it is just that whenever I seek help that is all I am often told and little else, without anyone taking time to read my posts or listen to what I have shared. No family should dictate the terms of your life, but sometimes power is taken from you without your consent. My younger brother has done nothing to deserve me walking out on him, as he stays largely with those responsible for getting involved in my affairs, and the family won't change that. He didn't deserve to be born with the genetic disorder he has, but that is life and that is who he is. Sort of the same thing, I am stuck having to deal with toxic family members just to keep that relationship with him and offer him some of the care he wants. Sure he can get care with others if I did leave, but I would feel guilty about hurting him! I don't want to do that to him.

I wish I could get my family to see that having a relationship is something very important to me, and that they are very much hurting me with their actions. Despite even telling them up front, getting a counselor and trying to talk with them they fell I am the one with the problem, that I am just "in need of anger management, need time away from (girlfriends) to get a grip, that I a trash talking them behind their back to everyone they know, etc." In other words we just fight all the time now and it really upsets my brother and I am the one to blame for everything, period, as they are trying to be loving family and are just looking after me. I should be thankful.

"Sorn" these last two years have been utter hell, I have very much awoken to the fact I am being "used" by a lot of people I knew. Many relationships have ended these past few months as I finally spoke up and did something about it. Hence getting transferred from one job site to another because my former management team took extreme advantage of me while others never had to lift a finger. (Many other stories there too.) I used to be very quiet and can still get along harmoniously with anyone new I meet, as if we were old pals, but I went on the war path after my family took shots at me, and one too many buttons was pushed. I don't like holding grudges, but I guess I am that kind of person after all. I think I have a right to be angry for how others have treated me, but I don't think they have a right to expect me to let everything they do slide without consequence.

"Roses": I am 36, and I even made an excel chart of some 600 of my peers I know to show them that it is normal to want a relationship, to have a relationship and even a family at my age. Only 5 people didn't have a single relationship yet that I knew of, and one of them was dead most of the time! They keep telling me I should be "waiting." WAITING FOR WHAT????? The time was right, the chemistry was right, we were just trying to start out, nothing had stripped me from assisting my younger brother, other than the need for perhaps a two week vacation for once in 12 years. At this rate no I won't have a family unless I adopt, but I might find someone in another 6 years time, if I fell like I can handle the absolute hurt and emotional devastation again.

Reactions: hithere and acd
I think you need friends. You need people you can really trust. Maybe at the firehouse or in a church? People who are willing to help you out on the spur of the moment.
I'm thinking a mixed group of people where you could find a partner. Maybe also a group that helps disabled people. This could also reduce the burden on you.