INFJ and Leadership Positions | INFJ Forum

INFJ and Leadership Positions

writerinchief

Community Member
Nov 28, 2015
MBTI
INTP
Hey, guys! Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

I'm kind of nervous writing this to you all, especially since I've read so many well-written posts on this forum. I don't think I can possibly compare to the level of sophistication some of you ooze in your posts, especially since what will follow is essentially a long and bumbling rant.

Please bear with me. These feelings thump against my chest, and I need to vent it out. Treat it as a storytime, as an opportunity to read about a protagonist living in a far, far away land, in the world of fairytales, if you may.

Anyway, to set the scene: ever since I was a freshman, I wanted to be the editor-in-chief of my school newspaper. I know, intense. I guess that's my Ni coming out there. I had this vision of leading this magnificent masthead, with members so close to each other that they were practically siblings, that I would personally inspire to great heights.

So starting freshman fall, I wrote a bunch of articles for the Sports page, these funny, short snippets that were a huge hit on campus. The editor for sports was a witty ISTP who totally understood me, thought I was a fabulous writer, and promoted me to a staff writer pretty quickly.

Sophomore fall, I was able to apply to be a copy editor, which, to all those not familiar, basically is the newspaper equivalent of a McDonald's worker. We had to check all the grammar, memorize numerous style conventions unique to the paper, look over the layout right before it was sent to publishers, knowing that we were only valued for this mechanical mental labor.

However, usually, all the copy editors would become page editors in the following years, so I knew I could use this position as a stepping-stone to become the editor-in-chief.

Five other sophomores were accepted as copy editors, including a person we will refer to as R, because I'm in a mood to be mysterious in a totally cliché way. R quickly grew to be the bane of my existence in the most unpleasant way.

A little background on R, though, before I go on. I'll make it short, since you're probably bored from all my ranting. Three words: outspoken, articulate, with a dash of arrogance that only added to his allure. Now it would have been very different if I, as a female, showed any arrogance. But I digress.

Anyway, R quickly stepped up and started acting condensending to the fellow copy editors, myself included, even though I had seniority over him, being a member of the newspaper from freshman fall. He talked over me in meetings. Talked down to me when I tried to organize the articles we edit.

Part of it was also me. It probably doesn't translate to this post well, especially since I'm very frustrated, but normally, I'm a very bubbly girl. I love using emojis and exclamation points, and I will happily spam you with them. But this guy was Te-Fi, and I made the major mistake of communicating to him in a Fe way. R probably got the impression that I was an unthreatening, emotional little girl. And on that sour note, we concluded sophomore year.

Now, to further complicate matters, I was most definitely not infatuated with the editor-in-chief, who we will call Z. Nope. Not at all. I'm sure that sounded very convincing. I guess I didn't really want to cover it up, huh?

Anyway, because I was infatuated with those stupidly enthralling blue eyes, I was sidetracked from my goal to become the next editor-and-chief, and in the meantime, R stepped up his game, showing off his fabulous leadership skills.

I can tell, too, that Z relates more with the underdog, or R, than with me, as he was an underdog himself. Z's quite uncomfortable with the jaded, the experienced veterans in an establishment, which I understand, but that in no way invalidates my unique abilities given my experiences with the newspaper.

At this point, I've resigned myself to being an editor for sports working under R, who will inevitably be the next editor-in-chief. So now I'm struggling with jealousy toward R, frustration with myself, and unrequited feelings for Z.

Color me obsessed with the newspaper. And maybe with him. And maybe after writing all of this and reading your replies I can color myself with something else.

tl;dr a girl who looked at the sun setting in the pacific outside her window, dreamt big, and is realizing that the sky might not have really been the limit, but rather the birds.

Last edited:
:welcome:

Leadership hasn't been the right goal for me. I supervised a bar once, but apart from that I have worked for leadership positions that I have never earned. In the end I decided that I just didn't care, and what really mattered to me was the work that I was doing. But it has been important for me to find a manager that I admire, otherwise I have a lot of trouble following direction. It shouldn't matter whether or not I admire a leader in order to treat their directions with respect, but for better or worse it makes it a lot easier. I think that from now on, if I have to work for a leader I can't admire, I will leave.

Really, I prefer to do things alone. But that doesn't seem practical in my employment world.

Yes, I completely agree that the best leaders have the admiration of their peers, which is why I'm struggling. I think I don't have that admiration and respect and therefore would not be a good leader, and therefore would not be chosen as the next editor-in-chief.

But most of all, I think I'm overthinking everything.

Also, the dynamic between the current page editors and Z is quite fascinating: it seems that he also doesn't have that firm of a grasp over his page editors, and the masthead itself is not a cohesive unit. The newspaper is running just fine, though. So maybe a leader doesn't have to garner the admiration of all, but only a begrudging acceptance.

Interesting post and good luck. I am pretty sure my current manager (female) is xSTJ. And she's freaking awesome. To me, the way she delegates, manages, sets the road map and so much more is daunting to even think about, but I believe it is what she lives for. To me, it sounds like you this is your vision, but how do you get there? Well, if I worked for a female that I was infatuated with I think personally for me that could or would divert my vision in some way. I think that needs to be considered or not :) Guess what or where does your energy focus? After reflecting some more on your post...yea, I can see or feel the emotional roller coaster. You know, why is our culture so competitive?! INFJ Utopia. Anyways, the roller coaster. Z, a pull to the eyes. R, pressure, jealousy. Push, pull, push, pull, etc. I like to write this out. Puts me there in the office.

Way back when I had an opportunity to go to IT at my job and I did. Most painful and rewarding job so far. I was the hub world wide for all of the company for this application. I was the Business Analyst, PjM, Support, Logistics and even development at one point. Ridiculous. This is the key and catch I learned and that is I 'mastered' enough of the process and application to become a much needed asset. I learned to push back on the business (the ones with new requirements); critical thinking. I made huge mistakes. I had not butt left from all the escalations. I am not joking. No one wanted this job.

My take aways:
Jump into it. You have to. "It" being leadership opportunities when they arise.
Learn as much as an editor-in-chief needs to know and more.
Read other people and use that to your and the teams advantage.
Take charge. Facilitate. Bring vision no one else has.
Inspire. Don't doubt your goals or self.
Periodically, listen to your emotions and center yourself.
Sad to say sometimes its who you know, but also re-orgs. At least for me regarding career growth.

Lastly, we ARE leaders: Ghandi, Mother Theresa, Hitler, Osama Bin Laden, MLK
The focus here is the ability to lead and be a world changer.

[MENTION=14304]Trent[/MENTION] Dang, I want to say something just as articulate in reply, but I can't. That was so wonderfully put. I'm screenshotting these posts in case similar things happen and I need some guidance.

Also, you know, you all should give me a metaphorical slap on the face, because I know I'm overthinking everything, but I keep doing it anyways. I've been such an emotional mess this past semester, and I really need to re-center myself. I've tried in a couple of other ways, but I think this forum will really help.

Then the world should watch out, because I will take it on, one headline at a time.

Is there anything stopping you from pursing your goals in a bigger pond?

It seems to me that the limited career span involved in a school newspaper could predictably expose personnel selection to whims. A commercial paper, even if it be local, would seem a better field to test ambition and talent.

Welcome to my school, [MENTION=862]Flavus Aquila[/MENTION]. We are an isolated community composed of students testing out roles for the real world. All the world is a stage? I think not!

Thanks for the reminder that in the big picture of things, a school newspaper is hardly anything. And I'm sure I could pursue journalism in the professional world after I finish my studies. That's actually what I plan to do.

Welcome to my school, @Flavus Aquila . We are an isolated community composed of students testing out roles for the real world. All the world is a stage? I think not!

Thanks for the reminder that in the big picture of things, a school newspaper is hardly anything. And I'm sure I could pursue journalism in the professional world after I finish my studies. That's actually what I plan to do.

Even if the school paper be insignificant in the world of publications, even small things ought to be taken seriously. Nevertheless, what would stop you from submitting articles to commercial newspapers in the meanwhile? I suspect a portfolio of commercially published material is worth more than entire editions of the school paper. (Whether you are the author, or simply an agent for the author).

Oh, I see what you mean [MENTION=862]Flavus Aquila[/MENTION]. Interesting! I have considered this before, but I will be the first to admit that I am not familiar with how I would go about submitting articles to commercial papers. So I've settled with dedicating myself to my school newspaper, though it's much easier to lose perspective while doing so.

Hm, do you happen to know anything about the submission process for commercial newspapers?